Motorcycle Action Group
Annual Group Conference
Saturday 10th April 2010
Moat House Inn, Kings Coughton
Agenda Commencing 10:30AM
Welcome by National Chairman – Paul Turner
Paul welcomed all members to the meeting today.
MAG (UK) Ltd Annual General Meeting
1. Report by Chairman of the Board.
By the end of today we will have a full set of Directors of the Board. Very active meeting last night and we
feel that we are strong and plenty of consideration is given to financial matters. Jane Chisholm will stay on
the Board as an adviser to assist us to move forward.
2. Company Secretary: report.
Steve confirmed MAG UK is solvent and operating legally.
3. Finance Director: report.
Justine reported that she is standing down this year and as a volunteer does her best!
August 2008 July 2009. Majority of income is membership, donations, partnerships, other is bank interest,
product sales etc. Yearly comparison given, membership 11,000. Fighting fund down slightly, some events
suffered from bad weather. Partnerships are good.
Fighting fund breakdown by region shown to Conference. Yorkshire leads the donations, many regions giving
good donations too. Yearly comparisons given across last three years. We have seen great efforts but due
to poor weather we may not see the like again from events. Expenditure breakdown shown as Central office,
membership, The Road, Political, travel, FEMA and misc.
Neil Stevenson asked how much of £25 membership is it costing us? Justine stated that membership costs
£12 of the £25 fee. IC involved in the discussion. We are too reliant on fighting fund.
Rocky comments on corporate membership needing to rise. Justine agreed and suggests the Board are
aware that we need to improve this area and Paddy Tyson has made some with a number of companies.
MAG Media £64k turnover. Advertising brings in £10,000. Lose £11k Fighting fund, membership, low
Pete Walker sees a loss again. As a riders rights organisation we must employ people like Nich, Paddy and
the central staff. The Board are all good but we need business acumen in the organisation.
Jane explained the management systems, communication involved in the organisation structure. Strong time
in place and we are trying to move forward. We are growing groups around the country, looking at the
banking system and trying for automated services. We are going to look at Corporates.
Paddy spoke about future prospects will speak after lunch on these issues.
(Paddy Tyson will donate 10% of his book; note Mutch will donate 20% of his books to MAG)
Louisa spoke about her role at Central and recognises our needs and will be looking at being a well oiled
Andy questioned will the Board and NC plan a Strategy to raise funds outside of events. Paul suggested that
Paddy has some plans to discuss after lunch.
Tory Nottingale Lincs MAG gave a vote of thanks to Justine for her services as Finance Officer. The
conference celebrated her work.
4. Reappointment of Auditors: Stanley Yule
Proposed: Justine Travis
Seconded: Steve Wykes
Proposal voted on item and agreed unanimously.
5. Resignations and Election of Directors (see Manifestos)
Jane Chisholm steps down.
Andy Meredith spoke on Den Powell’s nomination as a Director. (Notes available)
Jane Chisholm spoke on behalf of Sheila McFarlane as a Director. (Andy McFarlane objected!)
6. Summing up and Chairman of the Board’s declaration
Active Board, brilliant staff and help for the members. We are moving forward and upwards. Declaring the
Close MAG UK Ltd AGM.
Opening of Annual General Conference by National Chairman.
All Board and NC introduced. Opened the AGC.
Hand-over of conference chair to National Vice-Chairman
Thank you for coming everybody.
National Officer Reports: (Questions on matters related to reports will be taken after each report).
We have had a lot of changes and now a strong team at Central. Louisa has shown her merits since joining us and is
looking after the two temps who are with us. If we made a wish list a new database would be on that list. Often
someone has to spend three days running through bank statements. We are moving office on 23rd April. Board and
NC in full agreement of the move. We really need people power and their vans. Fuel will be compensated. The
current premises must be decorated. Bill Pugsley will co-ordinate. We need help with this too, fuel compensation
available. Tory is available on 23rd for the move.
We want everyone to have a MAG email address. Andrew Meredith is available to organise this for people. Similarly
with websites, there are often a number of sites of one group. We have the server and can add group sites to this.
Membership figures are due shortly. Thanks to Jane for her work. Thanks to Justine for her work. Fergus is leaving
us to and his efforts have been huge.
It’s a privilege to work or this organisation. We have started to build a team of staff who are strong, flexible MAG
people. In the past we have taken on people to do specific roles. He trouble with this is that if someone leaves, it
leaves a hole. Staff related issues of holidays and families can be issues. We are trying to achieve overlap of tasks
and the people we have fit that bill. We lost David Short and it left Nich doing two jobs. We have brought Paddy on
board and the difference has been shown.
The premises move from the same premises of ten years. We needed this move as the current premises is rent only
and the new premises include more services than our current ones and the facilities are superior for approximately
50-100 per month. The deal is for five years and gives stability. Louisa is a very good member of staff and we are
grateful for her efforts. Last year cutting administration costs was the focus. Liberating cash to bring Paddy on board.
Previous membership cards will be used due to difficulties with printing and finishing. Tell us how they work.
Campaigns – Paddy was asked to focus on the forthcoming election and our image outside, plus accessing group
activities in the country. Example would be a group of classic members who Paddy had assisted to be involved with
MAG. He has created Classic MAG. This group appears in the next Road issue. Paddy is well travelled and attends
global travelling related events. Leading lights are MAG members and realised they should be backing MAG. We are
taking a stand to over-landing event. Touratech and others have become corporate members. This illustrates that
campaigning helps to form a strong relationship with corporate members.
Nich has been keeping an eye on government related issues. DSA meetings looking for change. Catalogues of
accidents related to the swive test have been challenged in these meetings. At transport select committee MAG has
been key to debates and feature many times in the Government report to DSA. New candidates who promise to
support will need to deliver if voted in.
North East member - Have HSA been involved in the accidents? Yes the relationship with DSA is too close and
DVLA persuaded government to make people do the same test at each level of test. We must challenge this one too.
Attending conferences of local authorities on road safety, such as new speed restrictions of 50 or even 40. We need
to win arguments for each six local authority areas. We should be objecting locally.
Pot holes statistics suggest the roads are the cause of many arguments. Consultations floating around on that.
There are other groups and organisation that we can work with. Mentioning Aine Gale making sure that Network is
put together and scheduled. A huge thanks to her on this one.
Ending with a phrase ‘that there is nothing to do and Central are doing everything’. We need to focus on this. Getting
the message out has been a struggle but giving you a more structured way of dealing with things. Asking groups to
provide a structure so that when information comes out there is something in place to work with this model.
Ian Cook flagged up 15% of causalities, this is the sort of ammunition that we need in local groups.
After RAV we can concentrate on such needs.
Jeff Mills engaging with local authorities is very important and fundraising needs to translate into local politics. We
have to be more proactive, being involved with councillors. In Bristol the cycling lobby is very strong and we need to
have this to. This should be MAG’s main focus. Local transport plans are key policies. All authorities are currently
reviewing and consultations are being formalised. You need to engage with your transport authorities.
Question from floor on publicity and why there are no young riders advertised. Discussion regarding posters. Paddy
informed that we have new posters but we can only manage so much.
Question on DSA testing situation information needed for local groups to get involved. Nich explained that some
information is available but Nich tries to balance the tasks to allow him to share as much as possible.
Bill Pusley thanked Nich for his work on 2DLD. The conference supported this.
Clubs involve a total of 106 with 48,000 members. Sometimes it’s a formal meeting or a small group drinking tea.
Owners clubs are growing. 16,000 get a MAG page in the 100%, plus email contacts. Clubs are important to our
levels of representation. Told a story of attending a transport forum and how to get very actively involved promoting
motorcycle issues. Blend in and gently steer it!
Editor of ‘The ROAD’
In last year we have a new printer service which is about 5-6k saving. The magazine is developing from a design
perspective. Interviews are always good content so keep thinking of people we can meet. Humour is a good
element. We do not compete with main leaders such as Performance Bikes. We are a road church and I try to
balance things. Personalised input is important, such a ‘my bike. Letters always oversubscribed and tries to get
many in as possible. Please send items in jpegs and pdfs, and size must be at least a mega bite.
Campaigning element has become stronger, RAV features in the latest issue. Thanks to all who help with the
Election of National Officers: (see Manifestos)
Proposer Jane Chisholm gave an overview of his commitment and time spent at Central and around the
country. Whole hearted recommendation.
Steve Wykes seconded. Unanimously elected.
National Finance Officer
Late nominee Patrick Van Aalst MAAT
Gave an overview of his experiences. CV available through Central.
Cash flow, forecasting and budgets are his key concerns.
Proposer Paul Turner
Seconder Justine Travis
National Clubs Officer
Fergus outlined the role. Discussion of a potential split of responsibilities. Neil Stevenson suggested a
member of the Board, take a role. This obviously needs further decision at next NC level.
National Network and Communications Officer
Jane Chisholm explained Aine Gale has been co-ordinating Network but the Communications is currently a
different role. Suggestion made that the role be more clearly defined at next NC.
The MAG Foundation: Report
Neil explained that the trustees are Pete, Jol, Neil, Nich and Andy. Nich and Steve W have done plenty of
work under the guise of MAG Foundation. Stickers are a way of promoting work on behalf of MAG
Foundation. The A to Z of motorcycle parking booklet will be soon completed. There will be a tribute to
Donna Proctor following a bequest made by her family and friends. Regional reps will be receiving a draft
copy to assist checking and updating. Diesel stickers do need to be promoted across a number of key driving
organisations. Lengthy discussion of how to promote the use of our diesel spills stickers.
Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations: Report
Sol believes we are really moving forward. Same things are happening in FEMA. 24 organisations in 19
countries. Arctic to Greece. Such a spread can cause problems as such a vast cultural difference exists.
Trying to unite is the wish. Four staff in Brussels. Gen Sec off on maternity leave. Weighted membership
has been re-adjusted to represent fairly. He believes we need to increase membership again so we are
presented in FEMA. FEMA is your voice in Europe and the EU to some extent. Issues include non petrol
motorcycles; crash barriers work; framework regulation bring legislation together such as 100 brake horse
power, compulsory abs; compulsory road testing; International Congress planned for the end of June
(including MEP ride).
Ian Cook - what do MAG pay and what do we get from FEMA? Justine - approx 14,000 euro. Sol gave an
example of wire rope barriers that has been a success for new installations.
Ian Cook - Feedback on issues sent from FEMA needs to be clearer. Nich clarifies that his role includes such
feedback from regions.
Riders Are Voters 2010
Paddy welcomes grumbling today! Deal with issues today with the people that matter. Nich and I have put in
many hours this week so bear with him.
An overview of RAV and its effectiveness. It’s for opening doors with Corporates and expanding our own
membership. By 22nd May we will have started 26 groups in the country. He has not visited active counties
as they do not need him as much as others. South East and Southern are growing rapidly.
Paddy spoke about the RAV Question Time events that have been held so far. Manchester and Bristol were
great events. We are using bike shops so doors open to them and we gain credibility. Slough was not well
attended but the candidates were very vocal and two of the candidates joined MAG.
Next QT Kings Lynn, with three candidates, TV coverage likely. Local elections are the next goal and RAV
can be delivered at that level. Ace Café 18th April event to start classic MAG.
MCE Insurance rang to promote MAG to their 80,000 riders. Two Wheel Junkie is online spare company and
35,000 lines, full corporate member, offering 5% discount to MAG members. 700 parcels ever other day and
we are offered to include membership forms.
Corporates – some stuff is in kind. Two Wheel Junkie will provide spares for Nich and Paddy to run bikes
around the country. Membership form is received well. The designer works with focus groups and full MAG
member. He works for big companies such as Proctor and Gamble and they are working on a presentation to
go to all the manufacturers. They will ask these large companies to donate to MAG.
‘Corporate fee yearly from industry is the goal’. Each year 100,000 bikes having a membership form in
handbooks would be a fantastic goal.
Passion is something we all have and we should continue to fight. Paddy suggests a Hyde Park Demo
suggestion for September 2010. Press coverage needs to be strong to promote such an event. Post election
party may be an option. Ann Main MP EDM1002 116 out of 642 signatures was a strong result. (MPs names
are available). Urge all emails and access to websites are correct to keep us active. We are trying to work
IC highlights sell out issue needs to be clarified. Jess Mid Lincs don’t see an issue here.
Pete Walker clarifying corporate membership still exists in its simplest form. More than suggestion MAG
Partnership, in there is credible people such as manufacturers, media, mica etc.
The conference expressed confidence in the work that Paddy is towards the growth of the organisation.
Motions to Conference
Motion 1 - Eastern Region Division
Selina Lavender motion last year to split Eastern region. Lincolnshire would be on its own 2/3 was needed but not
met general feeling but not successful. Noel Corrigan is managing Lincolnshire. NC is confidence that this will work.
Look for someone for rest of Eastern. Discussion was held on how the previous AGC voting had gone and was we
are now. For: 55 Against: 13 Abstentions: 7
Pete Walker on Events
Received a call for John Westlake MD from MCN. We took out £10,000 advertising in MCN 22,000 readership.
100% Biker have pulled out and MCN now what to have a tent known as the MCN Rock Marquee. They will push our
event through editorial. We hope to get 2,000 extra people makes 60,000 more profit. Bower Media group member
This work will be part of increasing our credibility.
10. Ian Taylor Vice Chairman for NABD
NABD builds it success. 48 adaptations on bikes 33 trikes and others across the country. Ian gave an overview of
the adaptation work. You’ve Been NABD still a very successful rally and the autumn event is building. Rich Hulse
works with the DFT on needs for riders with disabilities. 125 adapted bikes scheme still exists. Tickets still available.
We of the NABD look forward to our continued relationship with MAG.
Certificate of Merits:
Phil McFadden and Rory Wilson – for raising the profile of MAG in Wales which is fantastic.
Jackie Francis for making the RAV campaign happen
Mark Williams MP from Wales for his work towards promoting issues for motorcycling
Mike Newcombe from Devon council
George Legg – Aine Gale accepted his award. His sterling work for MAG, the Troll!
Steve Tannock Teamwork Award:
Southern Region nominated as a region are really working hard. Little Red nominated.
Richard Tegg Award
Stuart Regan works hard to pull events and websites, raising MAG awareness. Steve Wykes nominated
The Chairman’s Award
Nich Brown and Paddy Tyson are nominated for their incredibly hard work they have done. Recognition is required.
Simon Milward Award (Lifetime Achievement Award
Ian Mutch nominated Fergus O Connell for this award. His contributions have been vast. A well deserved award.
12. President’s Address
Mutch gave us stories from his travels, the 1970s, previous AGC’s, shoeboxes, new groups forming, getting people to
join face to face, delayed fulfilment, the new swerve test, celebrating our skills, keeping up with progress and how
much his has appreciated the work that has been continuing while he has been away. On to greater things!!
13. Presentation of Donations
Dorchester MAG donated £1,000 (only going for five weeks)
Yorkshire MAG and MAP recognition for their donation of £82,500
14. National Chairman’s closing address
Grateful thanks to Fergus, and how could we replace him. He has approached Jol Lawson from East Yorkshire to be
his replacement, which will be voted in at NC after the AGC.
Concentrate on getting MAG name out. Carry application forms
Paddy interjected by speaking of South Birmingham MAG and their assistance for any donations at all will be
15. AGC 2011 arrangements
Future announcement will be made.