Observer, Lincs Deputy
Motorcycle Action Group: National Committee Meeting
Date: October 11, 2014 Time 12.00 pm Venue: Shrewley Village Hall, CV35 7AN
1. Introduction and Register of Interests
JMC thanked all for attending. All attendees introduced themselves.
2. Apologies for absence:
Recorded on attached attendance sheet.
3. Appointments and resignations:
Paul Dore replaces John Mitchell as South East Regional Rep.
Mike Armstrong replaces Paul Turner as Cumbria Regional Rep.
Item 13. (i), Appointment of National Reps Liaison Officer also covered, i.e.
To appoint Jane Carrott as National Reps Liaison Officer.
Proposed: JMC; Seconded: SL. Carried.
4. Adoption of NC agenda:
Adopted with revisions and additions.
JMC reminded the meeting that phones should be switched off or to silent if necessary. He further noted that
all matters discussed in NC meetings should be classed as Confidential, as should the NC email list unless
permission has been sought from the originating author.
It was also noted that the OldCo (M.A.G. (UK) Ltd) Constitution states that no NC member should publicly
criticize the organisation and that personal opinions should remain so and not be aired, for example, on
social media. This would require, for example, exercising care when “liking” comments on Facebook.
GarL asked whether this policy extended to “behaviour unbecoming” by the membership. It was confirmed
that it applied to all, from the top down.
WR asked how and by whom this would be policed. SL said this matter would be covered more fully in item
13. (vii) Processes.
LÖ opened by noting that he and LM have been in post as a Policy Unit for a year now and that they are now
in a position to start shifting focus. He reported that: many visits and contacts have been made; there is
increased recognition of MAG, election planners are being contacted; influence has improved with the DfT;
there has been a good response from the Green Party and UKIP; contacts with Emerald Racing are
LM expanded on the DfT, noting that we now have informal contact at Director General level and that MAGs
influence is now increasing to a point where we can set a new agenda regarding the DfT treatment of
motorcycling. MAG is also building useful alliances with PACTS again.
In respect to Road Safety Audits, there is progress. Every road safety scheme has to go through a process
of safety audit and the fact that the Bedford scheme passed highlights that the audit is not fit for purpose.
Changes can and will happen, and TfL have started an internal review.
There is now a clear strategic direction with key objectives of influencing the General Election, increasing
effectiveness of The Road and involving the membership more in campaigns.
There has been progress with Bikes in Buslanes (e.g. Edinburgh, Leeds) and a call for government funding
for trials has now reached the top of the DfT. AB (Obs) asked whether there is evidence of bikes being
“green” and LM confirmed that there is. It was also noted that accidents [involving PTWs?] have halved
since introducing the scheme.
LM reported that research is indicating a link between the number of hours cycled (by men over the age of
50) and prostate cancer. LM has spoken to the scientist who wrote the paper, who has confirmed that the
statistics (i.e. that cycling 8.5 hours or more per week increases risk 6x over those cycling 3.5 hours or less
per week) definitely stand up.
Discussion ensued regarding what position (if any) MAG should take. It was thought that the “right to decide”
applies but that there is a difference between encouraging and enabling. AC felt it was important to exercise
caution regarding encouraging motorcycling due to the subtleties of issues around health.
IM noted that insurance, tax, etc could potentially become an issue for cyclists and that MAG may need, at a
future point, to decide on an official position regarding this matter. LM will be in a position to report on these
issues and developments with DfT in approx.. 2 months.
PT reported that following a meeting with a representative of Whitehaven County Council, during which it
became clear that they had no understanding of the hazards motorcyclists face on the roads, the matter has
been escalated to the Head of Highways.
LÖ said that between now and May 2015 MAG needs to engage with all of the top politicians, provide a
Manifesto for approval, ensure fully-functioning media links and get back on the racing track (via Emerald
Steve Maker MP is Chair of the All-Party Motorcycling Committee. Nigel Farage is very pro-MAG as his first
speaking engagement was at a MAG event.
AG underlined the importance of not being seen to support any particular political party and LÖ said it will be
a case of them backing us rather than the other way round.
LM stated that we need to get key parties on board and also noted that although Farage is not in Parliament
he is instrumental in “moving the goalposts” on key political issues.
Decisions regarding the Bedford scheme have been deferred to a mayoral decision process rather than a
council-led democratic process.
SOK to provide an article to The Road regarding support of and by Emerald Racing. The relationship could
potentially lead to exposure via new media channels, including TV and could well lead to productive links
with “non-traditional” motorcyclists.
Immediate action points for the PU are: agree the way forward with ER, agree on policy documents, improve
the media system and look at recruiting interns for aspects of research work.
(Item 6a. Foundation covered at this point due to time constraints on PT)
PT reported that DH is to attend a motorcycle road safety seminar; that the issue of manhole covers fall
within the remit of the Foundation; that the British Parking Association has invited MAG on board.
PT requested that where he is unable to attend relevant events, he can approach the NC.
In closing, he noted that MAG cannot afford to ditch the Foundation as it opens doors that MAG can’t;
also that monies in memory of Donna is earmarked and will be progressed.
(PT leaves the meeting)
GarL circulated a draft “Routes to Biking” leaflet. It is a work in progress and could include incentives to join
MAG, e.g. attractive joining fee, access to digital version of The Road, etc. GarL to put together a proposal
SW will put together a “potential savings as a MAG member” document to work from.
A lack of new riders is an issue and figures suggest that numbers could be down as much as 90%. It was
felt that a working group of instructors could look at potential changes that would encourage new riders. It
would also appear that there may be an issue of discrimination towards women riders as they are under-
represented. Thoughts on this include height/weight restrictions and some of the test requirements.
All to contact local instructors for feedback with a view to getting a working group together. OR and PDo to
lead on this and coordinate information. AG suggested also liaising with Rick Hulse in respect to disability
There is a possibility that the results could potentially lead to a legal challenge to the DVSA which would
also generate media coverage.
AC has looked at MAGs position statements and reported that they are woefully out of date. A list of issues
is needed so that a revamp can be commenced. All requested to email potential issues to AC to collate.
The matter will then be progressed with LM and LÖ.
NC priorities: JMC asked if the NC is happy with the priorities identified so far by LM/LÖ. GarL asked about
progress on the website. It was reported that the website is available, awaiting server updates, and will be
ready for testing in December for a January launch. Julie Sperling is working with a not-for-profit
organisation to iron out some problems.
JMC noted that although the possibility of a forum has previously been discussed the matter was not
progressed. GarL suggested that a closed forum might be a way forward and could be looked at, along with
gmail once all the current issues have been ironed out.
Riderscan – information on FEMA website regarding Mobility Test (travel times by car, bike, public transport,
etc). There is currently no UK information in respect to this.
FEMA have put forward a proposal for increased cooperation with FIM.
PTI inspections – the matter may be revisited but the UK should be alright with current MOT.
The directive on PPE standards is to become a regulation.
LÖ is to put together a questionnaire to be used for finding out MEPs positions on motorcycling and
Item 13. (vii) Processes discussed at this point (i.e. following item 7. and before item 8.) and recorded under
8. Ratification of previous NC Minutes:
AGC 2014 Minutes
Proposed: SW; Seconded: TS. Carried.
NC June 2014 Minutes
Proposed: SL; Seconded: SW. Carried.
NC August 2014 Minutes
Proposed: GL; Seconded: WR. Carried.
TS sought clarification regarding the Minuting of Confidential items. JC explained that items for Confidential
discussion were noted as “Discussed and recorded under Confidential” at the appropriate point in the main
published Minutes and the item recorded separately.
9. Matters arising from previous Minutes:
10. Matters for discussion:
It was noted that where there are regions that are inactive, an effort needs to be made to reboot them.
JMC is to look at kickstarting the London region. There is no representation at all, including Regional
Rep for British Independent Islands. There is a need to appoint RRs to get these regions up and
running. GarL noted that MAG could look at the option of appointing a Rep to a catalyst group to get
them going, with a view to handing over to regular personnel once up and running.
Before leaving the meeting, SW noted that Scotland AGM (taking place in Perth on 18th October)
requires an Observer.
(SW leaves the meeting).
(ii) Petrol stations
Following a number of reports regarding refusal by some petrol stations to unlock pumps to
motorcyclists unless they remove their helmet, AG is to précis the situation so far in Network. TP noted
that a position statement should be generated.
11. Board meeting report:
SL noted that appointments and resignations had already been covered, adding that Neil and Julie
Stephenson have both left MAP.
Julie Sperling reports a happy office, that her appraisal has been completed and that she will now complete
appraisals for Carol Ferrari and LÖ.
Following a question from AC regarding finances, SL clarified that NewCo, as a creditor of OldCo, will
receive a percentage of OldCo monies. She further noted that NewCo owns OldCo without liabilities.
AC asked about the change of MMSL name to Nice Employer Ltd. SL explained that MMSL was too close to
the OldCo name and it was decided to put more distance between the two with a name change.
12. Additions to emailed Reports:
Western Region Report
It’s been a busy couple of months for members in Western Region, back in August Bristol MAG were
involved in the annual Bristol Bike Show which takes over the streets around St Nicholas markets, Lembit
Opik came along and had a chat with MAG members on the MAG stand whilst awaiting the arrival of one
directionally challenged Mr Mutch, who arrived late! The Show was followed by Bristol MAG’s popular
Aftershow Party with the Bristol Rep Tim and his minionís working hard on the BBQ.
Later in August Bristol was the focus point for the Do You See Us Now Demo in our Region, with Tappy
being the key organiser for what was a very good demo run from Gordano Services down onto the
Harbour side in Bristol, where Mr Mutch with the aid of a loudspeaker addressed the gathered bikers and
a few onlookers.
In September Weston & North Somerset MAG held a very successful GWR Rally, and as it was the tenth
rally the Rep Deb Rose persuaded several of the group to dress up as fairies while serving cream teas!
Bristol MAG meetings are well attended and they have been very busy with events.
Not-Avon MAG ticking along.
Mid-Wilts MAG also ticking along OK
Weston & North Somerset MAG has been busy with events and runs.
- - -
Lincolnshire Regional Report.
The riding season is winding down but we’re already starting plans for next year. The first major event
being a local bike show in February where we share stand space with Peterborough MAG. The autumn
has not been without its successes with profitable bike nights held by both the Mid Lincs and Lincoln
branches. The Lincoln event was its first so Mid Lincs helped with supply of equipment and consumables.
A small profit of just over £40 will be carried forward to finance the next event. The Mid Lincs event made
over £150 and this combined with proceeds from other events resulted in a cheque for £750 being sent to
Other activities included supporting the Yorkshire Pudding Rally and also attending the Sheffield demo,
but it has to be said there was not a lot of support from the region for the latter. Lincoln continue to work
on improving motorcycle parking in the city and are negotiating for secure parking to be included in a
proposed park and ride scheme. NE Lincs have continued with the occasional social ride out and charity
event, with some members supporting the demo and also attending the Yorky Pud, but there is at present
no support for regular meetings.
Lincolnshire Regional Rep
- - -
Eastern Region Report, October 2014
Regional meeting held, only Members from Peterborough turned up!
Rushden & Towcester seem to be just ticking over.
Peterborough was asking for a breakdown of what Foundation actually does? I have asked Paul
Enjoyed an overnight event with Selina (oo er Mrs)
Attended National Demo in London with members from Peterborough and Rushden.
I attended local Classic Vehicle show in Peterborough with P/MAG and have confirmed attending a show
in January along with Mr Carrot (Works really well as a joint venture) Springfields Motorcycle Show
OCT 25th Peterborough MAG Halloween Rock Night with Mr Creature
I will be attending a Safety event on behalf of Foundation, National Motorcycle Safety Seminar, cleared
Getting stuff sorted now ready for RTTW tomorrow
Eastern Region Rep
- - -
East Anglia / Vice Chair / Director Report June / July / August / September 2014
Preparation for Board & NC meetings, 4th June West Norfolk MAG ride out, 13th June Board meeting,
14th June NC meeting (some MAG members attended the East Anglia D Day Memorial ride on this day),
16th – 23rd June assisted at The Farmyard Party, 25th June West Norfolk MAG meeting, 28th June
Allied Memorial Remembrance Ride incorporating Armed Forces Day celebration, 29th June St Ives
(Cambridgeshire) Festival of Motorcycles.
2nd July Bury St Edmunds (B.S.E.) MAG meeting, 3rd July West Norfolk (W.N.) MAG members rode out
to Boston Bike Night (Lincolnshire), 4th July attended Peterborough MAG meeting (B.S.E. MAG
members went to RAF Feltwell for fourth of July celebrations), 8th July ran the Race for Life 5k at
Peterborough, 11th – 13th worked at Bikes & Trikes 2nd rally, 14th July B.S.E. local rep Val Taylor
resigned via email, 20th July MAG members rode to Krazy Horse for breakfast then on to the Thetford
bike show, 24th – 27th July MAG stand at Fenlander HOG rally. I was contact by Simon Frampton (aka
Sam Mullins) about wire rope barriers on the A11 in Suffolk. Whilst I am happy to work with Simon who is
no longer a MAG member and is supported in the A11 Riders Action Group by Andy Baker (whom many
of you are aware of) MAG is not taking a leading role in this campaign. There are rumblings that MAG is
not welcome in this group, apparently ‘they’ll take it over and say it was all their own work’. MAG
members locally want to support this cause and I along with the Reps present a united front in public.
The reality is that the protest is too late for what they want to achieve (they should have protested at
planning stage), they do not wish to compromise, they arranged their first demo ride on the same date as
the nearest MAG groups established event and timings were such that people could not attend both
events. My husband Pete and myself have put a lot of hours in to reading about road safety barriers and
I’ve been in touch with Trevor Baird. I also did a radio interview for BBC Radio Suffolk. I have made
contact with IHE Tony Sharp (yes another one). I have spoken with L&L and am putting together a
proposal for presentation to the NC in the future.
1st – 3rd marshalling at the Yorkshire Pudding Rally, 6th August I attended the B.S.E. meeting (W.N.
MAG members rode out to Brandon), preparation for Board & NC meetings (including hampers for Julie
and Carol), 8th August Board meeting, 9th August NC meeting (MAG members attended the TOMCC
show in Stilton), 17th August ride out around the Norfolk coast road to Cromer, visited Peterborough beer
festival, 24th/25th August MAG stand at the 26th Fenman Classic show at Wimbotsham, 29th August 72
hours without sleep as West Norfolk MAG put on their first private party with overnight camping.
September is full of events in our area, unfortunately I was not able to attend many as I went on holiday
for a week. MAG members have definitely attend the Mods & Rockers Hunstanton run, Krazy Horse
(custom bike shop Bury St Edmunds) opening evenings. 14th September Bury MAG had a very good
Soapbox run that made it in to the local press. 15th September I meet with Julie Sperling along with John
Mitchell to carry out Julie’s annual review. 27th September local reps meeting. The A11 RAG group have
notified me of a second demo ride on 25th October.
In addition I deal with members’ requests as they come in via email/Facebook and try to do the same
with Regional Rep and Chairman requests. I call Julie once a week/fortnight. I communicate with John
Mitchell regularly, I’ve been pushing for the new leaflet. I post stuff to Facebook although less to the
National page over the past month, I send out 4 paper copies of Network a month, then there’s the
Christmas planning for the NC and my local group. It would be true to say I am generally very busy and
have dates in the diary moving in to 2015.
RR East Anglia, Vice Chair & Director
- - -
Well there is very little to report from down here at the moment I am sad to say.
At a recent regional meeting we were told the South Devon Group is likely to fold. Its been run by only a
couple of guys for ages and they are unable
to sustain this any longer.
Taunton MAG had a small party at their meeting pub and this incorporated a fire walk for charity which
two of my family decided they would chance
toasting their toes for a few quid. They all did very well. Looked bloomin hot to me though.
North Devon had a successful bike show in Ilfracombe. Attended also by Mutchie and Lembit whom I
must really really thank for pulling out the stops to be at our house that morning and for helping us set up
etc. We received some good publicity from that in our local press. Plus made a few quid for MAG, Devon
air ambulance and Motorcycle Outreach. This has enabled ND MAG to meet their commitment towards
the AGC fund. ND MAG also borrowed several items from MAP for the show. Feather banners and large
vinyl banners gave us a much bigger impact and its well worth other groups considering a lend too.
Between the MAP events these items tend to sit in the container so they might as well be utilised.
The following weekend the ND stand and with help from the Taunton 2 and myself attended the
Woolacombe Scooter rally. We had a very warm greating at the gate and when we had set up we were
visited by lots of curious scooterists who all seemed very pleased to see us. The Brighton and Cardiff
Reps were there and dropped in on us saying how good it was we had the stand there.
Mid devon have been quiet and their rep has been away. But they have resumed their normal meeting
arrangements having come to the end of their bike nights.
Cornwall MAG have held their End of the Road rally - It was on the weekend of the August NC meeting. It
went well and they will be sending a donation to the office.
South Devon MAG are folding as the 2.5 gents attempting to hold it together can no longer continue to do
so. Al monies are being sent to central and any physical assets are being divided among the remaining
groups at the AGM
Politically across the region things are very quiet but hopefully we can encourage more activity in that
area at the regional AGM in October.
We will be holding our SW region AGM in October and George is observing for us. I don't imagine for one
moment this will be well attended. However for some of us its business as usual.
In the meantime I am prepping stand stuff for next year, The north Devon stand is unlikely to be used
across the winter so ive been sorting stuff out for that. repairs and revamps etc have taken place. Also I
have finally erected the boards we have for the national stand. Having never actually put them all
together I now know how they go together. Now this provides a larger area for MAG info I have asked the
NC for any info..not just events ...to put on the boards. So far ive received....NOTHING....which has been
the response in the past when ive asked too btw. However I am determined to cover these boards to
expand the visual impact we have on the national stand.
That's all for now folks.....should have turned left at Alberqueque
- - -
Not much to report this time apart from PaD MAG's rally. This was the 3rd 1815 rally and went really well
although it was cursed by the weather again so the turnout was low. I don't know how it went financially
as yet. A write up is to follow for The Road.
PaD MAG is still going strong as a group but the others are struggling. It's likely that both the Rutland
and Leicester groups will fold due to lack of numbers.
I haven't visited any groups over the last couple of months other than Derby, and we haven't had a
regional meeting, but I do hope to get out to the groups this month.
- - -
This is one of our quietest times of year normally but due to the great weather it has given our members
a chance to enjoy a long fine summer and get out on the road, Giving us an extra chance to get out there
and promote mag amongst the local biking community. Also have been getting around scouting out
potential new venues for our annual rally with one candidate that seems to tick the boxes for most of our
needs..talking of rallys it looks as though all is ok for the increasingly popular Pancake Rally set for
February and a curtain opener for our 2015. Also after much lobbying (going on for a long time) on our
part it is fairly certain that the new Rail Station (Bromsgrove) is going to provide secure motorcycle
parking at last.
Finally can i send my apologies for missing the upcoming N.C. meeting boy Kevin my Deputy RR will be
attending for the region.
All the very best
- - -
North East Regional Report October.
The period started well on the back of the protest day in Newcastle which went down well and got good
newspaper and TV publicity.
Durham MAG gained the award from Stormin for the most Marshals hours worked. The younger
members all under 20 years of age accounted for a lot of these hours so we were really pleased. Lembit's
presence in the Region went down well at Stormin.
On the action front we're currently in limbo with a number of projects as we are now waiting for things to
happen. On the Bus Lanes front we can report that the new signs have gone up throughout County
Durham and we are now waiting for the sign changes in Newcastle City.
Out and about the Shite Shags made us even more welcome this year, the write up in Road really went
down well with this club and we once again made their fund raiser look like a MAG do.This helps keep
the MAG presence high in the area.The MAG gazebo wasn't particularly busy at the Shite Shags do but
the presence was noted by many.
Our next outing is the NABD at the Tan Hill organised by our members Steve and Denise Gray, most of
the Regional Committee will be chilling there if anybody wants to turn up.
On the group front Blyth has had a falling out between their committee members the actions of outside
bike clubs sadly played a part in this. An EGM has been organised for the 21st . The initial incident was
public for a while on facebook before it was removed which has led to some considerable trolling.
To prevent this happening again a new FB approach has been developed in the North East. FB groups
have been replaced for all by 'Pages' as these have a higher degree of control, eventually when we figure
out how to separate email addresses we will make each Editor a MAG email address so the control goes
with the post and not the person.
The spat led to me running around the North East like Henry Kissinger trying to sort various factions out.
The Regional Committee has attended Blyth's meetings to offer support and advice so we'll see where
we go with this.
Durham MAG and the Region are now planning AGM's for the Feb to June
2015 period and getting ready for the annual Christmas meal.
- - -
NW Report August-September 2014
8th August: - National Committee meeting, Wren Hall
I attended the MAG NC meeting, minutes on www.mag-uk.org
23rd August: - Lee Rigby Tribute Ride In.
The National MAG Demo was postponed in the NW due to the clash with this event. Quite a few of the
NW local reps and members, including myself, attended this tribute and it was a very well attended event.
I also think that our decision not to run a MAG Demo on the same day was appreciated by the Lee Rigby
event organisers and has helped build good relations between the two organisations.
27th August: - NW Alliance Meeting, Jesters MCC Preston
It was Jesters turn to host this monthly meeting of the regions bike clubs. I got to chair it as well which
was a good opportunity to push MAG related issues. Very well attended which was un-expected as this
meeting is usually held around the Manchester Area but we had Bikers attending from all areas of the
region and even from Penrith in Cumbria.
11-14th September: - Jesters Rally Preston
It was great weather for a change. As well as helping run this event I also had the NW MAG stand at the
event and picked up a few members as well as selling a few products and T-shirts.
22nd September: - Blackpool MAG Meeting at Blackpool Rugby Club
A few of us who are involved in the running of the Blackpool MAG Events asked for a meeting with the
committee of the Rugby Club to discuss the Halloween Party in November and the B’MAG Rally next
year. The November Party is pretty much sorted but we have a lot of ground to cover if we are to host
next year’s rally at the rugby club. We are exploring a number of options as last year’s rally made nothing
and we either need to change the format or the site or both.
28th September: - Hercules Charity Run
Once again, NW MAG was asked to Road Marshall this event which attracts over 100 bikes travelling
approximately 100 miles to a different destination each year. This year’s destination was Jamie
Whittham’s Airfield at Crossland Moor, Huddersfield. The route is always planned to take it as much
scenery as possible and no motorways are included as there are usually many learner riders on the
excursion. The event has introduced many to MAG and has also strengthened ties with Lancs & Lakes
Other news from around the region
We have a new Blackpool MAG Rep, Dave “Smartie” Smart who has taken over from Phil McGladdery.
Smartie and Blackpool MAG are busy sorting out details for next years rally as well as finalising details
for the Halloween Party in a few weeks time.
Salford MAG have now got a full committee.Local group rep Blayz is now being assisted by Mike & Paul
Yarwood, Ben Pritchard & Owen Morris. The group are busy promoting the Demo run which is due to
take place on the 25th October, details on the NW web-site and in the Road.
Stu Dunn the Wirral local group rep has been contacted by the local council highways department
regarding wire rope barriers and MAG’s stance on these installations. I have given Stu what I believe to
be MAG’s stance on this issue but am waiting fro conformation of this from our campaigns. From
memory, MAG was is not actively campaigning for the removal of these installations but wanted
assurances that no new installations would be commissioned and that the hazards associated with
existing installations were to be minimised by fitting protection around the posts.
Bill Green, local rep from Red Rose MAG is doing a sterling job in producing the NW Newsletter every
month with a little assistance from me. The latest version can be downloaded from the NW web-site.
Morecambe Rep Kev Hyde will be attending an event with myself and Lembit in a few weeks time at
O’Reilly Haulage at Heysham where they will be unveiling a new fleet of trucks and want to fit MAG
Diesel Spills stickers to them all. There will be television, David Morris MP and many more at this event
so hope to get plenty of good PR for MAG out of this.
I will not be at the NC Meeting at the weekend. Smartie, the Blackpool MAG Rep will be there in my place
representing the NW.
Tony Cox, NW Regional Rep.
- - -
South East Area Rep report to the N.C.
Hi all & I've only just taken over the area officially, so I will keep my report brief.
We had our regional A.G.M. On sat 4th October & was held at The Woolpack PH in Chichester West
Sussex, it started at noon & had 12 People turn up in the bad weather we had & many thanks to Tim
Peregine for riding up & hope you got home safe even with your rear brake sticking!
I have a report from the outgoing area rep Mr j Mitchell & it says about how good “The lock up your sheep
rally” was a great success & alas I couldn't attend myself but I was there a few evenings helping to set
up. We have the remembrance ride coming up with the kind help of Will Humphrey & hope for a good
turn out, we had a good ride up for the London demo & we had around 80 bikes there.
Brighton MAG is going from strength to strength & have just won the battle for bus lanes on a permanent
basis with the council looking at opening up other lanes as well!
Great result to them...
Chichester MAG has grown in numbers & are getting on with the job. North Kent has had a few problems
& recently lost its rep but I'm working with them to build the branch back up.
I'm having a meeting with Dan Harris next month as he runs a group for young riders to encorage them to
ride & get proper training. I've been asked to go chat to the group & will meet them in Canterbury later in
Thanks for reading this & will see you at the meeting
- - -
regional report from Scotland since June.
June 13th Attendance at MAG UK Board meeting.
June 14th Attendance at June NC Meeting
June 19th to 22nd Attended the Farmyard Party and manned the MAG stand on Friday 20th and
Saturday 21st June
Late June till 2nd July Organised collection and delivery of raffle bike to Stephen Hunter
Aug 5th - Aug 6th Travel to and attendance at M.A.G. (UK) Ltd. insolvency meeting at Wakefield
Aug 8th - Aug 9th Travel to and attendance at August NC Meeting
Aug 23rd Participated in and helped publicise Glasgow Justice Demo from Great Western Road Retail
Park to George Square Glasgow approximately 30 bikes and trike with 36 riders and passengers took
part and helped raise awareness.
August 26th Attended Edinburgh Council Transport and Environment committee meeting where the go
ahead for a Bikes in Bus-lanes trial in Edinburgh was approved the Trial is scheduled to start in June
2015 under the auspices of an Experimental TRO with a feedback report to the council being made 9
months after the start of the trial. A favourable report will allow access to be made permanent.
August 28th Attended the Edinburgh Council Transport Forum where the principal matter being
presented and discussed was a new tool being developed by the Road maintenance department.which
based on actual automated surveys allows predictions of wear and deterioration to be modelled
accurately enabling the effects of various maintenance interventions to be shown, therefore permitting
optimum cost effective repairs to be scheduled. Current predictions show that early surface treatment will
permit an enhancement in road condition over all routes over time within current budgets, while if
intervention is left until major repairs are required the model predicts overall deterioration of the road
network over time. The next step is to implement planned maintenance in line with modelled predictions
and monitor actual outcomes to evaluate the accuracy of the modelling tool.
In addition to the above have attended Glasgow MAG meeting on the first Monday of each month and
Edinburgh and District MAG meeting on the third Tuesday of each month and have been involved in
seeking answers from each of the main political parties in Scotland on four biking questions ahead of the
Scottish Referendum of 18th September, receiving positive responses from the Lib Dems, Greens and
Scottish Conservatives. Momentum is also gathering pace on the Bridge Too Far Campaign to gain
continued access to the existing Forth Road Bridge with comments being made to the Dunfermline Press
in response to an article prompted by Andrew Wright who has written to MPs, MSPs and the press
voicing his concern over this issue. A letter has also been drafted to the Scottish Transport Minister Keith
Brown. His response is eagerly awaited, but regardless preparations for a Bridge Too Far Demo on May
9th to tie in with the probable date for the General Election .is in hand.
Preparations are also in hand for the MAG Scotland AGM scheduled for Saturday 18th October in the
Isle of Skye Toby Carvery, 18 Dundee Road Perth PH2 7AB 12 for 12.30pm (any takers for NC observer
) and the Edinburgh MAG Halloween Rock Night, The Counting House 36 West Nicholson Street
Edinburgh EH8 9DD Friday 31st October 8 till late with the Tombstone House Band and Trogs eclectic
Rock disco and other attractions £5 on the door.
So thats about it see you all Friday/Saturday
- - -
S. Wales MAG Report October 2014
Aberystwyth AGM elected Chris England as their new rep, and this group continues to move those
beautiful mountains. Sue (Powys Police) reported that the Med Location Markers which have been put on
many roadside signs have already been instrumental in saving SIX lives. Unsurprisingly, these markers
look to be adopted nationally, and are in the Highway design guidelines. Remind your local road safety
team which group thought of it (and ask them how to pronounce Llanfihangel y Creuddyn to emergency
services if they can't imagine a use for them). Engagement, education, liaison, introductory days,
minimoto etc events and rideouts continue and it's confirmed that next year will see a very welcome
return to the group's annual party, this time in the lovely seaside town of Aberaeron.
Carmarthenshire group has lost the services of Gareth Budding, who has decided that as a single dad he
has too much else to do. The group misses him as his contribution was sterling, with immediate
effectiveness in improving the local situation for riders. I haven't been free to attend a meeting since
Gareth's departure but I plan to be at the next.
We still haven't elected a replacement rep for Pembrokeshire, but Ed Neale attended the recent County
Road Safety meeting on our behalf, retaining our important position of trust and interests.
Brecon group continues to grow steadily, and Cardiff recently held the annual Mods and Rockers Run to
Littledean jail. Once again the owner, Andy, waived our entry fee so the total take for the day is able to be
split 50:50 between MAG and the chosen charity, the Air Ambulance.
Bus lanes opening to Bikes is on hold for a little while longer than expected, but this should happen
I liaised with a few people now and then, and helped with proofing the ROAD.
I designed and organised printing of the T shirts for the Now You See Us Protest Ride -unfortunately it
was all last-minute and very few were sent out to other regions in time for the ride.
We had less people than we hoped for at Cardiff, but more fun than I expected because the best of the
best were with us.
... and I folded some leaflets at Central.
- - -
Yorkshire regional report October 2014.
Have contacted both Kirklees and Calderdale Councils to start engaging with them to ensure PTWs are
considered in transport and highways schemes sent and receipt acknowledged.
Received and responded to first consultation from Calderdale Council.
Continue to hold fundraising events such as the “World” famous pie night.
Steve Bolton (political offcer) has been in contact with both Leon an John M, with regards bikes in Bus
lanes, diesel spills and “killer islands” plus he has written a letter which I believe is to be the national
template letter for some of the above.
Barnsley and Doncaster (BAD MAG)
Continue to hold fundraising events, they held the post demo rock night, and have a race night in
“On the bus lanes issue Cllr Mordue is of the mind to give us a trial run but the police have objected with
no reason given. We have emailed the south Yorkshire transport police and their justifications for not
allowing PTW's in bus lanes. We are now waiting to hear back from Cllr Mordue as to his final decision
before taking further action, if we are denied access.”
Held another successful Comedy, Curry & Cupcakes evening, last at their venue, pub closing.
“Continued campaign to allow bikes in bus lanes in Leeds. Had a meeting with Leon Mannings and 4
members of the highways dept in Leeds city council – we await developments”.
Upcoming events, Halloween party, Toy run, Party at new venue.
Sheffield and Rotherham
Held the first “wear the fox’s hat” rally, which unfortunately made a small loss, but undeterred, is
scheduled to be repeated next year.
Oliver if you didn’t know is also Clubs officer for Yorkshire as well as National.
Bikes in bus lanes, full access in Sheffield & Rotherham
Small group, mainly social.
Held their AGM, returned Pete Andrews as local Rep.
The “Spat out of Hull” rally, raised funds for MAG.
Upcoming events, Halloween party, New Year shooting (clays)
Bikes in bus lanes, full access in Hull
Another more social group currently rebuilding numbers.
Bikes in bus lanes, full access in York
Continue to hold regular ride outs.
Fundraising events included a treasure hunt & a clothes bank donation, where you can get rid of your old
rally t-shirts and raise money for MAG.
Upcoming events, Bingo, 11th annual bikers Quiz nite, Christmas party.
GarL noted that the Thames Valley area still exists but has concerns regarding membership.
TP noted membership is down slightly, and that he requires an Observer for his Regional AGM.
PM mentioned the online raffle.
ii. Chair and Vice-Chair
(See Selina’s report for Vice Chair)
iii. National Finance Officer
Report attached to end of this document.
iv. National Clubs Officer
Clubs August - October 2014
Mostly quiet on my front - I’ve been quietly dealing with a job change, which meant that I haven’t been
spending as much time on MAG business as I should have done. This is now all resolved, so everything
should be back to normal by the next report.
In the time I have spent on MAG business, most of it has been on branch stuff, hence this very short
I did miss out on the letter to TOMCC which was intended to be sent immediately prior to the demo.
There doesn’t appear to have been any fallout from this as yet, however.
I have had a request for regional reps to take back to their regions, mostly aimed at Lincolnshire
members. The West London Harley Riders are hosting the FHDCE super rally in May, and are looking for
assistance. Initial information suggests that the event is of a similar size to the Farmyard, so they need
manpower and possibly higher level assistance.
Upcoming is the Honda Owners Club AGM, which Lembit is attending on our behalf with assistance from
a Welsh member whose name escapes me. I was intending to attend as well, but have been asked to
attend the Yorkshire region AGM and MAP AGM instead due to a controversial proposal.
The intention between now and the December meeting is to nail down the costs of the club scheme, so
that a proposal for raising the fees can be put forward to AGC. I’m also intending to attend the NEC
show, with the aim of meeting and greeting the clubs who are exhibiting there as well as helping out on
the stand for attracting individual members.
v. Executive Officer
Nice Employer Ltd and The Motorcycle Action Group Limited Report from Julie Sperling
Database – On going as and when required this will be reviewed after the server is up and running.
Everything is being put into place fully tested so to reduce impact on the office. The email and website
hosting is still being assessed to get the best deal and to cover all of our needs.
Website – inappropriate timescale given I have re-addressed this due to the above with commitment to
demonstrate at December NC, with testing taking place for the remainder of December with launch on 1st
MAG (UK) – On going until final termination. All merchant accounts are operational and live processing
Audit – this took place last week and the auditors have decided to audit as a group as the accounts cross
reference to each other. All has gone well but very time consuming and not completed in its entirety.
Jane will require to come visit for a further day upon my return next week. Jane is prepared to offer a
reporting service short term but will need to ask her partner to oversee and sign off the next years audit,
no costing has been given as yet – I will report on this by email as soon as she comes back to me.
Staff – appraisals to be completed prior to next Board meeting. I have not been able to complete these as
I have not received my written appraisal so unable to pass on targets etc.
All staff are happy and working hard. Lembit has managed to have a couple of breaks since the last
Board meeting which he needed. I have tried to ensure that Lembit does not to work in his downtime by
asking him to advise the NC that upon return to work he will respond to emails and that Leon covers his
absence. This has appeared to work.
Office chairs to be assessed by expert and to advise accordingly.
Dongle required for mobile internet access for Lembit – this was agreed at last Board meeting but not
actioned yet by JS.
Sub-Contractors contracts – deadlines to be agreed with Ian. Leon has the extension from the previous
Board meeting of 2 months. His workload has not decreased but we need to confirm if this is now
required on a permanent basis. Lembit has begun to look into interns as this should reduce the
administration side for Lembit and Leon. It may be best to re-visit this when an intern has been in place. I
am aware that Leon did not want to be employed on a full time basis and I need to review this with him
during his appraisal.
My role – my workload has not decreased as yet but I can see the light now. Final processes are near
completion for MAG (UK).
No movement with working with Jane Carrott with the handbook but needs the office perspective
All policies and procedures to look at including staff handbook, but waiting until the database repairs are
complete and the need to add the new way processing card payments over the phone. Staff handbook
will start to go through with SL as workload settles.
I had my appraisal on 15th September SL & JM to update, targets have been set.
Bank Accounts – MMSL needs the name change to Nice Employer Limited, this is in process,
(Companies House has completed the name change). I am waiting for the final outcome regarding the
NatWest standing order account hopefully this can be transferred to TMAGL otherwise we will lose a
source of income including around £15k of donations. I will report directly to the Board upon hearing a
Stationery – JM prepared roll fold leaflets which are due to be delivered any day soon. Some regions
have purchased some.
All stationery has changed as required. We need to clear all old stock and use as scrap paper where
New card options – not any further forward regarding this as time has not allowed.
Ian Mutch, The Road editor
This issue of The ROAD went rather smoothly I have to say. I haven't run a leading bike review from
Roland Brown this time but have included more ‘My Bikes' features and a cutting edge review of a
radical electric bike reviewed by Steve Baker MP.
The political stuff comes to me much earlier these days that is a huge help, thanks to our front line
We are fairly event heavy as you might expect after a summer of events. The acerbic soapbox in the
last issue seems t o have aroused strong feelings but that is of course what soapbox is supposed to do.
Some may say Boris went a little too far, some may say the editor should have reigned him in a bit more
but hey you explore the limits with this section and it informs future decisions.
I continue to steer event coverage in a pictorial direction in order to lighten the overall feel of the
magazine. I am sensitive to the fact that people who have put on events wish to see them given a
decent profile but equally aware of the reality that for many members who were not at the event,
copious reams of information about the problems of gaining licenses and dealing with absentee bands
may be of limited interest.
I have to be quite brutal with much of the copy if it rambles. Stuff like, the field began to fill up with bikes
of all shapes and makes and tents were erected and beer drunk and a good time was had by all tends
to get axed. This is what I call ‘the sun rose in the East' stuff. Those who write something witty and
original or genuinely interesting find themselves getting cut less.
To follow up on my plan of running interviews with interesting MAG members who have made a major
contribution in some sphere of life outside of biking I am running an interview with Colin Speedie in the
next issue. Who he? The skipper of the shark spotting yacht who is a MAG member and was involved
with the Newton Abbot Six helmet protesters back in the 70s. He's a pretty successful environmental
campaigner in the marine sphere who has managed to establish marine reserves at sea for basking
sharks and writes extensively in the yachting world.
My ability to get around is still hampered by the dog factor that I am progressively trying to address by
exploring the options for getting help with the parental responsibilities.
I did take Jack to Ilfracombe for a day recently and it was acutely stressful as every man and his dog in
Ilfracombe has a dog and Jack wanted to kill about 20% of them. After 10 hours connected to a dog
lead I felt like one of those FBI agents who must escort a murderer to whom he is handcuffed right
across the USA. In consequence I was of limited use to Tracy and co on the MAG stand.
I have the Beast's ex fellah staying with me now until the 20th for the purpose of looking after Jack so I
could set off for Jordon but I have not yet gone in fact despite what I predicted I may well be at the NC
meeting after all. My inability to keep up with life has found me still here in Glastonbury, bike not yet
serviced, car broken down on the edge of London, hound enhanced security fence at home incomplete
and trousers insufficiently braced as the clips on my braces are tired and keep going ping! Which is
In short I shall be lucky if I can squeeze in a breeze down to Cannes to see an old seafaring friend, an
even older schoolmate and a mad Sicilian. I haven't left the country since returning in June 2012 and
am beginning to feel a little too grounded for comfort but I have made some pretty dramatic lifestyle
changes and these have all been for the good.
I have embarked on a cunning plan of inviting motorcycle press figures here to enjoy the ambience of
hippie town and the culinary skills of Mutch. First in the frame has been Colin Overland of Ride
magazine; others will follow until we have a wonderful relationship with all the motorcycle media and
that Rossi fellow is squeezed into the corners of pages historically occupied by us and we start getting
six page features with the faces of MAG luminaries consuming entire double spreads.
In this IT age I have decided that I must up my game and engaged the services of a nerd who has set
up a business in my street . He's working on putting my NZ book up on Kindle at the moment but he can
teach me stuff at a reasonable hourly rate on a one to one basis and I intend to go down this road. My
attempts to get tuition at the college in the neighbouring town of Street came to nothing, as the classes
were hopeless. Being given some sheets in miniscule print that required the use of a magnifying glass
to see is not something I feel I Should pay for. I want old-fashioned A B C here is how you do it lessons.
IF someone says to me go away read this let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and get round to you
after I've sorted the other 22 people in this room then I say bye bye. It was fun wandering around the
college ending up in the wrong classrooms that were full of teenage girls instead of hopeless geriatrics
who can't operator a calculator but there is only so often you can play the ‘sorry I'm lost' card before the
cops get called.
People are so PC in this post Saville world that you cannot be too careful.
Anyway the IT illiteracy is in hand.
Nice response from Nik Sampson in the BSH letters pages to some oik slagging MAG. I shall pen a
supporting letter. needs to be attached].
13. Any other business:
Appointment of National Reps Liaison Officer
Covered under item 3. Appointments and Resignations.
Membership stood at 7367 and that JMC speculated regarding a possible proposal to AGC in respect
to spreading payments but SL noted that this is not a viable option at this time.
TS requested that the slogan “Riders are Voters” is not changed back to “Bikers are Voters” as this
could alienate Scooterists who currently support MAG.
iii. National MAG stand 2015
Item deferred to next meeting.
iv. Christmas meeting
SL requested deposits from those attending post-meeting get-together.
A request was made for nominations to be brought to the December meeting, and all were reminded
that all nominations, proposals and agenda items for AGC 2015 must be submitted by December 31st,
2014 at the latest.
vi. MAG Sport stickers
JMC advised that he had stickers available for purchase.
Discussed and recorded under Confidential between items 7. and 8.
GarL noted that a number of Reps have raised concerns regarding the objectives of this organisation
and the recent item in Network that appears to support them. AG said she would address the item
again in the next issue, to make it clear that by including the item, it does not mean that the views
expressed by this organisation are necessarily the views of MAG.
SL noted at this point that NFL is to provide premises for a workshop regarding best practise, team
building, etc and that the event is likely to take place 2nd or 3rd week in January 2015.
ix. National Bike Day
SOK outlined ongoing plans for a National Bike Day in Ireland, noting that the Police are on board with
the idea and that its “selling point” is motorcycle safety and awareness. It is envisaged that it will be an
event suitable for a day out for families. A date is yet to be set. If this event works well, it is something
that could be rolled out to England, Wales and Scotland.
AC noted that the idea of an event based around bike awareness seemed to be popular and that this is
something that could be developed.
This item to be progressed via email.
Date of next meeting: Saturday 13th December 2014.
This is a brief report detailing any significant data which will allow you to see how we are
financially with the demise of MAG (UK) Limited and its effects on The Motorcycle Action
The original sum of £81,600 (£68k plus VAT for the transfer of memberships to TMAGL) is
outstanding the value of this claim is £15k. Monies received by MAG (UK) from and including
1st March 2014 for membership fees should be forwarded to TMAGL (currently standing at
£90k at 31st August) therefore the total currently outstanding is £105k. The bank accounts
are frozen until the Liquidator has access to them, and will be transferred at the earliest time
possible. No further monies have been received to date.
In real terms we are managing on a day to day basis with nothing payment wise outstanding
currently to any of our suppliers, but this is becoming increasingly hard until the above
payments are received. We have received all funds from MAP for 2013 and are now receiving
the funds from Stormin on a monthly basis for cash flow purposes.
The below graph shows that memberships by month have decreased but generally follow the
pattern of previous years. Our Direct Debit numbers have reduced slightly as members have
cancelled again due to the liquidation of MAG (UK).
My apologies for not being able to give a complete and thorough report but time has not
allowed me due to other time pressures. Year end figures are available but until the
completion of the audit are classed as draft.
Current Year 2014 Membership Totals
Previous Year 2013 Membership Totals
Current 2014 & Previous Year 2013 - Membership comparison
LIFE MEMBERS 2014
Sept'13 to Aug'14
Total N + R Total
No of Members
plus c.1,300 life members