National Committee Attendance Sheet
National Committee Meeting
First Name Initials
Minute Taker / National Reps Liaison
North West Rep
South East Rep
North Wales Rep (Acting)
Vice Chair / East Anglia Rep / Director
Nice Employer Ltd / Director TMAGL
Thames Valley Rep
West Midlands Rep
East Midlands Rep
Campaigns & Policy Advisor
Herts / Essex Rep (Acting)
National Chair / Director TMAGL /
Director Nice Employer Ltd
President / Editor “The Road”
Director Comms & Public Affairs
South West Rep
Western Region Rep
Clubs Liaison Officer / Yorkshire Rep
Director TMAGL / Foundation Trustee
Finance Officer / Director TMAGL
North East Rep
South Wales Rep (Acting)
Scotland Rep / Director TMAGL
Motorcycle Action Group: National Committee Meeting
Date: February 14, 2015 Time 12.00 pm Venue: Wren Hall, CV35 7NF
1. Introduction and Register of Interests
JMC thanked all for attending. All attendees introduced themselves.
2. Apologies for absence:
Recorded on attached attendance sheet.
3. Appointments and resignations:
Deb Rose appointed Western Regional Rep.
Tim Poole appointed South West Rep.
Steve O’Kane resigned N. Ireland Rep.
4. Adoption of NC agenda:
SL noted omission of NRLO from Reports section, which has now been added to the Agenda
The Agenda was adopted with revisions.
5. Ratification of previous NC Minutes:
SL noted a correction in NFL’s comments regarding The Road; i.e. that A5 should read B5.
Proposed: Selina Lavender; Seconded: Oliver Rose. Carried.
6. Matters arising from previous NC Minutes:
SL said she has not yet sent a pin badge to Steve Baker.
7. Campaigns update:
LÖ noted a productive time in Campaigns, said that they are overloaded but that a law student (Cheryl
Rowlands) has been engaged as an intern until September as Parliamentary & Legal Liaison Officer.
Her terms of employment are on an expenses only basis.
LÖ reported that the primary work under campaigns at the moment is lobbying political parties in the
run-up to the forthcoming General Election. He reported that MAG now has 40 MPs signed up, and
reiterated MAG’s neutral stance in respect to party politics.
In response to a question from DH, LÖ said that all MPs that are signed up are given information to the
effect that MAG is a libertarian organisation expressing freedom of choice through riders’ rights. It is
envisaged that a regular parliamentary newsletter will be produced to provide further information on
the activities of MAG.
LM reported that TfL are pushing through the new Cycle SuperHighways scheme (involving hard
segregation for cyclists from other vehicle traffic) at an unprecedented rate. The implications of this
scheme are that where London leads, other major cities are likely to follow.
It has also been suggested that the traffic light “gating” system that wil be used wil extend to the M25
and that a combination of gating and dedicated cycle lanes will negate the advantage of filtering that is
currently available to PTWs.
It would appear that senior officers involved in the scheme are not acknowledging the potential
increase in head-on collisions that may result from the proposed contra-flow scheme and that no
environmental impact study has been carried out either.
LM noted that he could see little available at this stage other than direct action but that, due to a lack of
understanding of the scheme (in turn due to lack of forthcoming information) that there is little appetite
for direct action among other road user groups.
The consultation period ended on 04/02/15 and the scheme rubber-stamped by TfL, who are skilled in
presenting (they are saying that 80% either agree or “partly” agree with the scheme). In reality 97% of
traffic will suffer for the sake of the remaining 3%.
In answer to a question from SW, LM observed that, due to the political alliances of various influential
newspapers, it was unlikely that a media campaign (newspapers) would take hold.
SL asked whether the potential for action could be increased by inviting relevant groups (e.g. blood
bikes, couriers, etc) to a meeting to provide them with LM’s presentation.
LÖ reported progress with the Leeds and Yorks regions, Bikes in Buslanes in Peterborough and
Cardiff and that he has spoken to the Mayor of Bedford regarding the Bedford roundabout scheme
with a strong message regarding culpability in the event of PTW accidents now that the scheme is in
The website is still progressing and The Road is proving a useful communication tool.
MAG has raised issues regarding the ULEZ congestion charging scheme but to no avail.
LÖ has visited a number of potential affiliates and noted that MAG needs to develop dealership
relations independently of the MCIA.
MAG has had input into the Mayor’s Safety Action Plan, which will be a booklet appended to the IHIE
At the moment work is roughly divided as LÖ taking the lead over election work and LM with TfL.
JMC noted that regional reps need to help out as much as possible as both LÖ and LM are already
stretched to full capacity and beyond.
8. Board meeting report:
The report was circulated.
Following a question from AG, it was clarified that MAG subscriptions to FEMA are currently £3,000 in
arrears and that a payment plan is in place to ensure that this is cleared by year end.
Following a question from AC, it was clarified that the liquidators are working with NatWest regarding
monies lost through Standing Orders to M.A.G. (UK) Ltd. SL explained that only the individuals who
have set up the SO’s can change them, but that MAG should ultimately receive at least some of these
Following a question from OR, SL stated there is no exact figure on website costs as yet. Julie at
Central is working with someone in the non-profit sector regarding this matter. TC noted that there are
problems with MAG’s satellite sites.
SW reported on the potential for a monthly prize draw that could bring in additional revenue. AC
asked whether an option to take this up could be added to the membership form.
SL reported that, in respect to The Road, there will be no format changes at this time and increased
advertising revenue is being explored. She also reported a positive Skype meeting that included Andy
Meredith on the way forward with I.T. issues.
SW, LM and LÖ leave the meeting.
9. FEMA report:
It was noted that a report had been circulated by NFL via email and that things are feeling much more
10. Additions to emailed reports:
SL reported that a local branch member has taken on board IM’s “eat for MAG” suggestion and held
a dinner, resulting in a £40 donation.
DR reported a productive Western region AGM with all posts filled and some headway in respect to
OR reported a number of local press and radio items raising MAG’s profile. He also asked about
the MBNA credit card scheme and was advised to liaise with Julie at Central.
Herewith is what may be my final Regional report to NC as Regional Liaison to NC, as we have our
Regional AGM on February 8th and there should be a new Regional Rep and I may be elected as
Vice Regional Rep, amongst other things!
George (The Troll) Legg Western Region NC Liaison
Bristol MAG is now having formal business meetings once per month to try and maintain some
momentum through the year.
We are actively canvassing responses to the public consultation of Bristol's revamp of Temple Gate
and it's generating some interest and positive views of MAG, as part of the public consultation
process myself and Tim Derrick (Council Liaison) attended a staffed exhibition evening on
About 8 MAG members joined the Blackhawks MCC pet-food run. We didn't turn up en masse
however so this may have gone relatively unnoticed.
I will be trying to get a strong MAG presence at the Independents Skittles night on Feb 7th.
The date for the Bristol Bike Show - and therefore MAG fundraiser "After show party" has been set
as August 15th.
The Bristol MAG website now also hosts a page for the North Avon MAG group to support Eddie
Garnier's efforts to rejuvenate that group.
Alec (Tappy) Groom Bristol MAG Rep
Mid Wilts MAG:
Nothing is happening at mid wilts. Xmas party on 10th January went wrong, as the band didn't turn
up, with any explanation. So no money made or lost.
Group is virtually non-existent.
I'll be standing down at next Mid-Wilts AGM, if no one else stands the group will be shut down I
Andy Kerr Mid-Wilts MAG Rep.
Weston & North Somerset MAG:
Not a huge amount to report due to the Christmas and New Year break.
The rally committee is busy at the moment trying to find a new venue for the GWR Rally, though we
have several avenues to explore, plus some alternative money making schemes should the rally
need to be cancelled if another site cannot be found.
I am in the process of contacting candidates for the next election in order to host a hustings for the
W+NS area, and hopefully raise awareness of MAG and sign up new members.
Group meetings at the Burrington Inn have been well attended, constructive and the venue should
hopefully work well for us going forward.
Mark Hamlin Weston & North Somerset MAG Rep.
NW Report December - January 2015
13th December: - National Committee meeting, Shrewley Village Hall
Attended the NC meeting in Warwick, minutes on www.mag-uk.org
9th-11th January: - Manchester Central Ultimate Custom Show
Quite a change to this year’s annual event but all went wel on the MAG Stand. Around a
dozen new and renewed members, three promises of corporates and advertising revenue
for the Road. Met up with Lib Dem MP John Leech on the Friday night and he attended the
show on the Saturday. Lembit was a star again, engaging with the public and fellow traders.
Exhausting weekend but well worth it. Sold a fair bit of merchandise and with the
memberships taken, MAG did ok out of it.
28th January: - North West Motorcycle Alliance meeting, Ship Inn, Irlam
A very productive meeting with plenty of issues discussed. Along with the General Election
there are a number of local council elections happening on the same day and we are
planning on entering a number of candidates from the Motorcycle Alliance Party in these. I
am considering standing for Fylde. A couple of members from the Lancashire Scooter
Alliance were in attendance and are putting on a charity run back end of March “2 Wheels in
Unison”. They asked if it could be promoted through the NW Motorcycle Alliance which was
accepted by everyone and welcomed them on board, bringing the motorcyclists and scooter
riders closer together.
8th.February 11th NW Fred Hill Run
This year’s run was very wel attended with representation from many affiliated clubs across
the region. Great speech from NW Political Officer, Bill Green with prayers and an amusing
tale from Bishop Michael at Blackburn Cathedral. The event was rounded off by a ride
through the Lancashire countryside in freezing fog, back to the Charles Napier for food and
Other news from around the region
I have decided to stand for Director once again and so my manifesto was submitted before
the deadline last year and I have been co-opted onto the Board until ratification at this year’s
AGC in Bridgewater.
I have been busy keeping the National and Regional web-sites up to date as well as
continuing with my home studies into web design.
I have been in frequent contact with the NW representative of the Honda Gold Wing Owners
Club GB as there is concern that they may not re-affiliate to MAG again at their AGC on the
26th April 2015. I am trying to get a slot for a MAG representative to attend the AGM and
give a talk on MAG but yet to be confirmed.
At the weekend, I was informed by a Liverpool member, Don Glover, that when the second
Runcorn Bridge is built, it will be a toll bridge and the original one will be made toll as well.
Bill Green, NW Political Officer, is planning on writing to Runcorn Council to enquire about
motorcycles as we are currently exempt tolls from both of the Mersey tunnels.
Salford MAG are going from strength to strength and now have their own dedicated meeting
room at the Duke of York in Eccles where we will be hosting the NW AGM in a few weeks.
They are also planning on holding a MAG fundraising Rock night on the 6th March which I
will be attending.
I have not heard a lot from Wirral MAG for a while and need to pay a visit when time allows,
as with Morecambe MAG. Red Rose is still functioning well and I get regular updates from
Manchester MAG rep, Jimmy Torrence.
Between myself and Bill Green, we are still managing to get the monthly NW newsletter out
and getting some good feedback from it, a very worthwhile task.
Tony Cox, NW Regional Rep.
East Anglia Report Dec/Jan 2015
December saw me return from the NEC Motorcycle Live, I think it was very successfully. I have
already had 2 people in my region volunteer to help man the stand for a day next time, these are
people that have not previously done this so it is very encouraging. I think I'm up to date with all the
feedback and contacts from the show.
The first Christmas outing of my season was the West Norfolk MAG evening meal which was well
attended. We find that a lot of members who can't make regular meetings really enjoy this annual
get together and catch up. I raffled a bottle of Prosecco and sent the funds raised straight up to
central on a personal cheque (for ease).
I attended the December Board and NC meetings, Chairing the NC meeting. The evening social
didn't have a very good take up which was unfortunate. Everyone that did attend thoroughly
enjoyed themselves. I think it was a great opportunity for people to socialise with the staff and other
members so remain disappointed at the poor take up.
I dropped goody bags and issues of The ROAD over to Eastern Region Rep Dave Hammond as he
was unable to make the NC meeting due to sickness.
Prior to the Bury St Edmunds (BSE) rally I designed an Award Certificate. I attended the BSE Mad
Cow Rally with Lembit. His attendance went down very well with the group and other rally goers, as
usual he answered the 'Do you ride a bike then?' question with good humour every time it was
asked. I helped with marshalling duties and supplied a raffle prize for the event (unwanted
Christmas chocolate novelties). I was also asked to present the awards and the group presented
me with a bottle of wine (I'm sure it is below the declaration value of a gift).
I designed a Thank you certificate for donations.
I've booked my regional AGM, it will be at my house as this costs nothing and typically we are down
to less than 10 attendees.
I surfed the net for some Network content that also went out on the NC list.
I continue to make contact with the office on a regular basis (typically once a week).
The Wren Hall has been booked for this meeting as it is around £20 cheaper (this is from memory)
and we will again put out a donation box for the NC lunch.
I am regularly attending the West Norfolk MAG group and am in regular contact with the BSE
group. Jo the BSE rep and my deputy is working on a new group for the Haverhill area.
I am supporting West Norfolk MAG with their one night party which will take place on the 4th of
One of the many things on my to do list is getting back in touch with NAM (Norfolk Advanced
Motorcyclists) as they wanted to see a representative from MAG and I did arrange to meet them
however due to circumstances they were not there and no contact has been made since. I have
delayed due to my fractured wrist and lack of confidence driving in the dark, wintry conditions.
I am in regular contact with Eastern RR & Peterborough Local Rep as we support each other due to
our close proximity.
I am also in touch with Pete Walker about MAP and National events. This has lead to me arranging
with Roger that together we put on a MAG stand at the Arch Kickback show in Stoneleigh.
I have been given a brand new helmet from a MAG member who runs an ebay shop and would like
to see it raise funds for MAG. I intend raffling it at Into The Valley for maximum income.
John and I also remain in constant contact off list.
I try to respond to all of the NC emails to me in a timely manner and point people in the right
direction, I realise I am not always responding to the on list emails in such a timely fashion.
I also produce the Board minutes. I will talk to Julie about connecting to the printer in the office and
producing a raw draft copy for the NC on Saturday morning.
RR East Anglia, Vice Chair and Director of TMAGL & NEL
Eastern Region NC Report
Dec 2014 - February 2015
At long last Eastern Region now has a bank account.
Posters have been sent around the region to encourage new groups to form within the region along
with the ongoing upkeep of the following Facebook pages:
Manned the stand at the Springfields show, (cake was eaten with Mr Carrott) which was very
successful with monies raised, new & renewed members and renewal of corporate member (Bikes
n Trikes of Peterborough).
Working with Peterborough MAG in conjunction with the Peterborough Armed Forces Day
Committee on organising a cavalcade through the city centre. As RR this is building relations with
Eastern Region stand booked into 2 local shows, St Ives Festival of Motorcycles in June and The
big Biker Bash in Beds in July.
Attended Peterborough MAG Xmas party.
Eastern Region Rep.
North East Region
New slimmed down version.
Not much to report since the last one, as this is a quiet time of year.
Trips around the Region to the groups. Had a crisis at Blyth but have managed to install a new
Local rep that is being mentored by the Regional Dep Rep. Travel plans made for AGC. Trip to
Manchester for Ultimate Custom show and now booked for Manchester Bike show. (If you want a
hand Tony just ask) Currently mustering the marshals for Stormin’ and this year building a
contingent of marshals for Pete Walker and his the Yorkshire events.
Currently organising a local Hustings and engaging with local group reps to do the same and have
had positive replies form the minor parties and am awaiting responses from the major parties, well
larger ones, I don’t know if there are any major parties anymore.
Our Gazebo will be travelling over to Cumbria this year, probable to the MAG Furness rally and
possible to another rally further north.
I write this Reps report tinged with degrees sadness and to a certain extent relief, as it could well be
my last. I announced to the Region in 2013 that I would be standing down in 2014 and that AGM
takes place towards the end of March. I am not certain at this stage if there is a successor but back
in 2013 someone hinted that they might be willing and another has certainly showed some interest,
so watch this space. To the best of my recollection I took over the reins in 2010 so I have been over
4 years in the role. Anyway, to business.....
The winter has been a good time for MAG in Lincolnshire. Just before the holidays I visited two
clubs in Lincoln (the Drednortz and the Soggy Bottom Boyz) who wanted MAG to attend a charity
fund raising event where they would also raise some cash for MAG. In January they invited me to a
meeting where they presented me with a cheque for £275 and announced that they would continue
to raise funds for MAG during the coming year. Both clubs have taken affiliation packs.
Also in January I worked at a local bike show where Mid Lincs MAG shared stand space with
Peterborough MAG. Between us we signed up 8 new members and 3 renewals (and raised some
I attended Mid Lincs MAG AGM where no one was prepared to act as Branch Rep. I have been
seen as the defacto rep by some members for a while and have kept them up to date with what ís
going on but someone will need to step forward at least as a contact when I am no longer Regional
Rep. Never the less they have a full programme of meetings and events for the coming year.
Lincoln MAG is struggling for active members but has had great success politically gaining MAG a
place on the parking plan progress group and is setting up a meeting with NCP car parks. Working
with a Lincoln MAG member we hope to have a new corporate member signed up soon too.
Membership is down 4 over the past 4 months, so not too bad.
Lincolnshire Regional Rep
South Wales Region
Regional Report Feb 2015
Phil McFadden stepped down as Regional Rep (RR) after 5 years; Ian Williamson Political
Officer asked to stand in as temporary RR until AGM.
Cardiff branch scored a major success in getting bikes into bus lanes in Cardiff. Significant
local coverage in Press and BBC.
Complaints lodged over unfair comments on ITV regarding Steel Horse Cafe
Abergavenny. Complaint lodged with OFCOM awaiting result.
Aberystwyth and Brecon branches working on joint bid for Welsh Government funding for
road safety relating to motorcycles. Bids to be in by the middle March 2015.
Aberystwyth Rally back on this year at the Rugby Club in Aberaeron 20 miles south of
Aberystwyth. Same prices as rally. Profits 50/50 NABD and MAG.
Fred Hill run has 43 signed up to attend.
Now data has arrived from Central campaign to be launched to recruit lapsed members
and new members over the summer, links being forged with local bike groups.
MAG represented on four road safety committees in Wales and asked for our views on the
awarding of the motorcycle safety grant.
Mini Moto bought and being painted in MAG colours, welded to a stand and used to raise
funds by asking for a donation when getting children photographed on it.
Regional Rep (Acting)
Not much been happening in the southeast apart from making arraignments for the Lock Up
Your Sheep Rally, Brighton are still looking at getting other bus routes open to PTW & Chichester is
still growing in size & they are starting to visit other groups!
Still an uphill struggle with Kent. North Kent can't seam to get any interest in an eve with the local
MP's so we're going to wait till they have there own meetings & gate crash them en mass! We've
had problems in East Kent with the ex rep & the new one & tony the rep now is seeking an
injunction against him so I will propose that the old rep a Mr Phil Pickering is never allowed to join
MAG ever again! We have had problems with getting control of the Facebook page & getting bad
what was Medway MAGs stand! But we have them now but no sign of any stock or money.
We're looking at having a few band nights & a day ride in bike show to help fund the rally & make
more money to contribute to MAG Centrals funds
S. E. Area Rep
South West Region Report February 2015
10th Jan 2015 SW EGM
Regional Rep: Tim Poole
Deputy Rep: Sharon O’Neil
Regional Secretary: Sarah Smith
Treasurer: Ray Talbot
Political Officer: Not Filled
Club Liaison: Not Filled
Events in the region:
8th February (Dorset M.A.G) Fred Hill Run
15th February (Taunton M.A.G) Fred Hill Run
28th February (North Devon M.A.G) Come Dine with M.A.G
5th April (Taunton M.A.G) Easter Egg run.
12th April 2015 A.G.C
22-24 May Taunton M.A.G Tone Vale Tea Rally
8-9th August Cornwall M.A.G End Of The Road Rally
North Devon Bike Nights May, June, July, August.
Group Reps Reports:
Mid Devon M.A.G
Sarah Sherwood is now the rep. for Mid Devon, after the resignation of John Groves, she
volunteered to take on the role. Sarah is going to work hard, as they have lost members, but they
are still meeting at the same pub, and they are trying to organise a Fred Hill Run and also Bike
Rep is Danny Pleace, still have the secretary and treasurer and they have signed new members
and are trying to organise a Fred Hill Run.
Tim is rep, they had a pet food run and Christmas meal, Fred Hill run, Easter Egg run, AGC and
Tone Vale Tea Rally to come this year.
Mike (Rep) from Cornwall, said they had to cancel their last meeting, but he still went to the meeting
place, and found that 3 new members were there, one of which had been a member before, and
had decided to return to M.A.G. due to all the upset. A possible Fred Hill Run to be arranged.
North Devon M.A.G
Doug (Rep) reported they are going to have a Come Dine With Me event. Bike Nights starting in
After all the haemorrhaging of members in the SW Region over the recent past, each group is
pulling together & signing up new members!
Please find separate report for AGC.
Yorkshire Regional Report - Dec 2014-Jan 2015
Continuing to hold regional briefings after NC meetings. Generally, all seems well.
The region intends to have an open-floor discussion about its own priorities in politics. National
matters will be fed into the discussion, but the region is ahead on most aspects already.
2 AGMs since the last report - no changes worthy of noting.
Barnsley and Doncaster
Having local difficulties with bikes in bus lanes campaign - change of faces at South Yorkshire
Police has led to new objections being raised, and a wish for "regional consistency".
Street repairs have been the main political activity here, and a question time event for Kirklees
council members is scheduled for the 11th of Feb.
Group members met with PostGrad Researcher from Hudds Uni who is tasked by the European
Corporate of Science & Technology to work on a project titled "Autonomic Road Transport
Systems: A User Perspective".
Very busy in the media in the last couple of weeks - Karen was interviewed on BBC Radio Leeds
for a piece on Mature New Female Riders, while Manny has been on Made in Leeds (Local TV
channel) talking about the bikes in bus lanes campaign.
Sheffield & Rotherham
Nothing to report here.
Filled the events calendar for the year...
MAP has offered use of the main stage at ITV for an MP husting, if desired - the incumbent MP for
the area is onboard with that. Lembit has been requested also.
Additionally, there is a new ticket type for all three MAP events - Saturday-only entry, which will be
available on a pre-book basis only.
A request was made for information relating to the MBNA credit card scheme - there may be an
opportunity for a different approach to raise money, if anyone knows what the rates might be.
I also have a request for information relating to insurance black-boxes - I don't believe this is an
issue for bikes yet, but a couple of members with children have noted a possible loophole with the
I also have a complaint of sorts, about information flow from Europe to us - the changes for the bike
test of higher powered bikes required for the A category test was found out about from the media,
rather than us.
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer’s Report
Appointed to the position of NRLO at October 2014 NC meeting.
Instigated welcome email for newly appointed Regional Reps, which includes an attachment with an
extract from the new Reps’ Handbook (see below) in respect to important points of conduct and
Submitted a Manifesto for the post of NRLO for impending Annual Conference.
Working on a complete revamp of the Reps and Officers Handbook. First draft has just been
returned from Julie at Central Office for an errors and omissions check. Currently working through
her thorough comments and observations along with relevant amendments before release of
Collating Regional AGM dates.
To investigate introducing an induction process for newly appointed officers; ideally I would like this
to include the signing of a code of conduct.
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer
National Clubs Officer
None see OR report under Yorkshire RR report.
Chair and Vice-Chair
Chairman’s report February 2015
It’s shocking, that 1/6 of the year has gone already! But I’ve already been out on the bike
since the second of January, which is definitely a good thing.
So far this year, I’ve spent a fair bit of time sorting out the fiddly bits of my work, tidying up a
few loose ends here and there. I’m quite pleased that NC minutes can be turned around
before the next meeting. That is a lot to do with the help I get from my Vice Chair, Selina.
I started the year off by launching the Lock Up Your Sheep! Rally which is being held at
Middle Farm again this year. Not knowing the dates for Stormin’ until the end of January
means that this year, there’s an unavoidable clash – and as much as I would love to do
Stormin’, being almost in France (the ferry to Dieppe is four miles away) hasn’t made it
possible so far (I will one day) – however, it’s good to have two events running for the same
cause at two ends of the country and I’l stil make sure MAGs resources are used to promote
Maybe if someone fancies the chal enge of going to both events, it’d be a good way to raise
money for MAG’s funds (not dropping any hints to anyone who reads this – oh no!). I started
the rally to ‘practice what I preach’, and demonstrating the way to run a successful event,
which it has been two years in a row. We’ve even got most of the bands sorted out for this
year, which is incredible, including headliners, The Last Cry who are celebrating their 30th
anniversary this year. Recently, I sent up a cheque for £500 for the fighting fund based on
profit for the rally, which leaves us enough cash to get a head start on this year’s event. Of
course, if anyone fancies volunteering to help out over the course of the rally, I’d love to hear
The Justice campaign is getting to that interesting stage – we’re getting a few more
volunteers who have offered to help out and I’m stil in communication with the Sentencing
Council, who have given me first look at a new leaflet they’ve produced to help families when
someone’s been kil ed on the roads. My contact made the interesting point that we need to
get all of the political parties to feature the sentencing guidelines review on their manifestos,
otherwise it might not happen depending on who ends up in Number 10 this coming May.
Talking of the election – I’m currently toying with the idea of standing as an independent
candidate on the none of the above ticket, or better still leading a campaign of tactical voting
where we – if we get enough support – can oust someone who’s against biking and get
someone more favourable in their place, just by exploiting a loophole in the Electoral
Commission’s rules on second homes.
Meanwhile, in other news… my letter to Boris Johnson has been ignored (Dr Leon Mannings
did say that it would be, to be honest, so I’m not too worried). Boris is about to come under a
lot of flack with regards to his Cycle Superhighway plans, so I might just add to the pressure
with a well aimed copy to the Evening Standard’s motoring correspondent!
I was absolutely gutted to miss last weekend’s Fred Hil run due to a very poorly Triumph
(calling the RAC out on a Sunday morning is never a good move – especial y when it’s to do
with electrickery). However, I am rather proud to say that Steve Mallett (erstwhile de facto
North Kent caretaker rep) and Paul Dore (South East Region Rep) stepped up to the plate
rather well and make sure the run was a success. Also, thanks must go to Artur, the duty
manager at Ace Café London for making sure they got the info from the prison that I had with
me, so everyone could take photos outside. I’m glad – in a way – that I can hand this one on
to new people. I also hope we’ll get some interest in re-starting Greater London region, which
has been without a rep for way too long.
That’s all folks!
iii. Executive Officer
Report circulated prior to NC via email.
[Report at the back of these minutes].
iv. Finance and membership figures
OR sought clarification regarding the figures in respect to OldCo and information regarding MAP.
[Report at the back of these minutes].
IM reported that he is looking into alternative advertising agent options. The Road continues to
offer a mix of political and non-political content. IM would appreciate more advance warning in
respect to articles for forthcoming editions so that dealers can be contacted where appropriate
regarding potential advertising links.
11. AGC 2015:
Return of awards
PaD joins the meeting.
Recipients of awards 2015
Discussed and recorded under “Confidential”.
TP explained the history behind a proposal regarding a regional border change, which is currently
geared around postcodes. The proposal would change the border to include metropolitan areas
At this point, item 12 was incorporated to give context to the proposal. It would appear that there
is a situation where groups have overlapped, resulting in approaches being made to, for example,
local dealers, for raffle prizes etc, by more than one group. By way of clarification, DR noted that
one group wishes to move from one region to another and TP stated that the proposed extended
boundary would encompass a wider membership.
SL stated that clear “for and against” discussion wil be required at AGC to ensure a well-informed
vote on this matter.
iv. Running order
SL reported that NFL has suggested that LM and LÖ should deliver their Campaigns report at the
start of AGC, which was agreed to be a sensible move.
SL said that although she would be Chairing the Conference, it would be inappropriate for her to
Chair the item for Chair elections due to standing for this post. Discussion ensued regarding
Constitutional precedence and AC noted that it would only be necessary to appoint an alternative
Chair for that election.
SL stated that any branches or regions who have donated monies to Central in the last year may
have a photo-op at AGC if wished.
12. Complaint received:
Covered under 11. (iii) Motions as the two are connected.
13. National stand:
It was noted that there is no longer a national stand manager and SL suggested that stands should be
taken back under local or regional requests as has happened in the past.
Following discussion it was decided that requests should go to Central via regional reps.
14. What happens in the office when joint members split:
SL stated that, in the past, the first person to contact MAG to request removal of the former partner has
retained the membership. TP said that he has come across examples of problems with this system.
TC explained that joint memberships are on the basis of a membership and associated membership.
Following discussion, it was agreed that SL would discuss the matter further with Julie at Central.
15. Any other business:
(i) Co-option of Membership Coordinator
This role has been created in response to the need to chase up lapsed memberships. A skeleton
job description has been created, with room for adjustment to fit the role.
To co-opt George Legg to the National Committee in the role of Membership Coordinator.
Proposed: Selina Lavender; Seconded: John Mitchell. Carried.
OR asked if this required ratification at AGC but it was noted that this will not be necessary under
section 3.c.xiv of the Constitution.
IW noted that two trustees had been put forward at AGC 2014 but that there has been no
progress since then. SL to liaise with Carole at Central regarding progressing the trusteeships for
IW and Rory Wilson.
TC will update the Foundation website with new details.
AG asked about progress in respect to monies held by the Foundation in memory of a former
member and SL said that action can be taken once active Trustees are in place.
(iii) Proposals to AGC not printed in The Road
OR noted that neither the proposal he has submitted regarding charitable memberships nor his
Manifesto has been published in The Road. SL suggested that they be published in the next
issue of Network. TP suggested that they could also be sent out on the Activists list.
JMC noted that a proposal regarding an amendment to the Constitution submitted by IM has also
not been published in The Road.
(iv) Affiliation with Royal British Legion
PaD asked about reciprocal membership for MAG and the British Legion. TP explained that it is
not possible due to their Charter.
(v) Fred Hill Memorial Run
PaD reported that this may be revived with local interest.
(vi) Nice Employer Ltd reports
TP asked about reports from NEL. SL explained that these are incorporated into TMAGL Board
TP expressed an interest in taking up a Directorship.
Date of next meeting: Saturday 11th April 2015.
Nice Employer Ltd and The Motorcycle Action Group Limited Report
Julie Sperling Executive Officer.
Offices - I have visited offices at Blythe Valley close to M40/M42 junctions which geographically
closer to Carol but slightly further away for me. They offer furnished offices, I explained our needs for
2 permanent members of staff and was shown an office similar to mine at Oakslade, both of us will
not fit in to or any of archives/merchandise/stationery etc. This was far too small so then looked at an
office for 4 people, we would with major downsizing, squeeze into but would be paying rental on a
four person basis at £1609 plus VAT per month. The next size available which would allow some
space to move around sized at 4 to 8 persons is £2139 plus VAT per month. Additional to these
costs would be the in house telephone system and broadband connection this is charged at £50 per
person per month. I have also investigated a rental office located in Kenilworth, the price was right
but the accommodation was unsuitable as only access was by stairs and this is not suitable for
deliveries of The ROAD at ten plus boxes a delivery plus cost of furnishing the offices. I have
investigated a further option which would allow us to not have to move immediately (this could be
short term until more suitable accommodation is found) by letting the large downstairs office and
meeting room go we can reduce our monthly rental charge, I have approached the landlords who
were agreeable to this and I have formally written to them to change our lease accordingly. The
agreement will change from Saturday 7th March 2015. Carol and I are currently going through
mounds of paperwork unfiled since the move April 2010 but this is necessary even if we do move
elsewhere. The current charge is £2379.26 plus VAT per month I am hoping that the reduction will be
in the region of £700 to £800 plus VAT per month (or higher if I can push it) saving at least £8,000
plus VAT per annum plus the saving of moving costs, stationery, IT etc. This even in the short term
will be saving monies, I hope that the Board are happy with this option in the meantime.
Website – Work in progress, cannot be transferred to server until website complete. Best option to
have incomplete pages and state ‘under development’ until all NC have completed their sections.
Priority as election information needs adding. Wycombe MAG website has been hacked numerous
times and was sending out spam and viruses – this caused Demon to close our connection without
warning and caused a lot of added work.
MAG (UK) – Received first payment of membership subscriptions just over £16K in January which
has eased the cash flow situation to more manageable. Standing Orders are still an issue with
NatWest it is more probable that this bank account will not be able to be transferred to TMAGL.
Selina and Julie to work on this and prepare for worst case scenario and large loss of donations per
year (previously circa £17K).
Audit – Draft accounts for consideration, please check wording in the reporting area in regards to
TMAGL and the owed monies from MAG (UK), you may wish this rewording.
Staff – LM appraisal should be completed this coming week. Delayed due to meeting commitments
for Leon with TfL and such.
Generally all are fine, workload is at its maximum in all areas for the lobbying team. As stated
previously an intern could resolve some of these issues but with current time constraints LO has not
been able to fulfill this.
February 2015 Board/NC meeting
Dongle required for mobile internet access for Lembit – this was agreed at a previous Board meeting
but not actioned yet by JS due to money constraints.
Sub-Contractors contracts – deadlines to be agreed with Ian for all editions of The ROAD. LO is
helping to provide content. As above where LM concerned as the Board agreed a two month full time
extension to contract at last meeting requiring decision again. The current extension takes LM up to
end of April 2015 work load for the future seems unlikely to change, maybe a fixed term of extension
to his contract to take us up to and past the General Elections – please advise accordingly.
My role – as previously stated there’s been no let up. Added to this has been major IT issues within
the office firstly when both broadband connections went down simultaneously (which is unheard of
BT’s failed and Demon’s connection was cut to above stated problem) and this issue has now been
resolved. Andrew Meredith informed me that this was a scripting error completed by the previously
contracted firm TBL and has now been corrected. We have had a serious power cut which again
caused several problems with Carol’s and my pc’s and with the two servers. Q Networks were
brought in to keep the office and server working correctly which has been completed. Then we have
found over the last two weeks problems in backing up the web and email server under Andrew
Meredith, hopefully with a few trip ups this is now totally resolved and backing up correctly.
I have commented to Jane Carrott regarding the updated handbook and this is now back with her. I
understand that a draft will be shown at the following NC meeting.
All policies and procedures to look at including staff handbook, but waiting until the database repairs
are complete and the need to add the new way processing card payments over the phone. Staff
handbook will start to go through with SL as workload settles – no movement on this to date.
Bank Accounts – In process of change over from RBS for Media and Foundation accounts to Lloyds
for ease of access. Need to look at signatories and directors for these – time commitment I have not
been able to complete this and probably best to wait for the directors to be updated so signatories will
be correct going forward as the process is quite time consuming for ID and signatory reasons.
Stationery – New card options – LO investigating Triumph or Norton for a possible two year deal to
cover the cost of the production of the membership cards thus saving in the cost of the membership
card stationery which equates to approximately £2.5k per year. No update as yet.
AGC – preparations have started so will be well organized due to Selina’s work last year. To be
notified of nominations in due course. Cups/shields have been requested to be returned.
February 2015 Board/NC meeting
Report to NC and Board on key areas of work by Policy and Campaigns Unit
This version: 12th February 2015
Leon and Lembit
Increased staff support
MAG has made a huge leap forward regarding staff resource. Cheryl Rowlands has agreed to
work on a voluntary basis with extremely modest expenses, from now till September, as a high
level resource to the Policy and campaigns Unit. Specifically, Cheryl will contribute to our
Parliamentary, legal and certain campaigning activity. We still need to expand our
administrative support in the office, and we’re working on that too. Cheryl’s arrival is vitally
important at this very busy time.
Our plans for Parliamentary debates are proceeding extremely well, with events planned in
Manchester, Into the Valley, Cardiff and elsewhere. These are extremely important because
they help us to steer parties towards our agenda. We’re also working directly with the parties
to seek written assurances of their support for the MAG policy requests. I believe we are doing
more to introduce MAG’s ideas to parties than ever before. Leon has had an outstanding
training session with UKIP policy activists.
DfT and TfL policy issues
Leon is now fully established as ‘our man in the ministries. Lembit attends as and when
required. Leon’s persistent, consistent and frequent attendance at these events is the key to
our raised influence. The key issue in London is the proposed Cycling Superhighway which
stands to destroy traffic flow in the whole of London, thanks to changed traffic light timings and
restrictions on road use. Leon believes these changes would effectively demote motorcycles to
the status of cars, with all the incumbent congestion problems and dangers. This is one of the
biggest issues facing bikers in the whole of the UK, because this precedent is tremendously
dangerous for all cities. MAG's major objections to schemes have been heard by top level
policy shapers in the capital e.g. MAG's position has been completely adopted in objections
from Westminster City Council. We need to keep up the pressure to push back on what is
essentially an obsession with less than 3% of road traffic.
Robert Goodwill, the DfT Minister, has offered to promote this up to the General Election. Leon
has been in contact, and Lembit has met him twice to discuss the matter. We’ve also created a
simple template – published in the latest edition of The Road. This is a promising approach.
Agreement to progress to the new website has been discussed many times. The reasons for
delay in implementation are not clear to the Policy and Campaigns Unit. This needs resolution
at Board/NC level. The project has been both time consuming and uncomfortable with
external organisations, such as motorcycle insurers and manufacturers. We respectfully
request a resolution to this in February, and certainly prior to the General Election campaign
activity when many individuals and groups will access the site.
The Road Magazine
The Road has become important as a campaigning tool. We very frequently use the magazine
as a promotional tool with potential corporate members, individuals and MPs. The Policy and
Campaigns Unit would like to see if there is an alternative to altering the format of the
magazine, on the basis that only a modest drop in membership as a result of this would negate
any savings. Other options are increased sponsorship, increased sales via internet and stores,
and a review of our advertising strategy.
Our relationship with the BMF is improving following issues in the Summer of 2014. It seems
useful for us to work with the BMF on a ‘trust but verify’ basis. We do not regard them as a
predatory threat to MAG. It would be immature of MAG to act as if the BMF don’t exist, so we
do need to work with them where this is in the collective interest of bikers.
Lembit and Leon continue to traverse the country. Recent visits have included Northampton
(Honda Owners Club), Torbay, (MP), Bude (MP), Glastonbury (The Road), Leeds (Bus Lanes) and
many more pending. Further contact around the country will extend engagement with the
activist base and ensure continued action is achieved - as well as policy leaders at local
government level. This is time-consuming, but there is no doubt this is generating visible
increases in our profile and relationship with local and national politicians.
Our improved relationship with industry is potentially delivering new income streams. We’re
meeting with Norton with Mike Weatherley MP on February 27th. We are making good
progress clarifying the roles of MAG and the MCIA regarding riders and industry. We have
developed direct contact with MCIA and manufacturers bi-monthly meetings.
We are continually extending our mass of MP supporters in Parliament. We’ve had further new
MP members and new requests from MPs to participate in MAG activity. We signed up two
new Parliamentary members in the last three days, with two more pending. See the list of new
MAG MP members in The Road.
Potholes & manholes covers
We aim to reduce bike accidents due to poor road surfaces, specifically manhole covers. Our
agreement with Preformed Markings Limited for joint working (see The Road) is likely to lead to
a pioneering regional test - possibly in North West England. We need to continue building our
relationship with Preformed Markings and with local authorities and highways agencies to
Our free, non-binding advice service to members is oversubscribed. Cheryl Rowlands is key to
our work on this, and we may be able to provide more support with Cheryl’s increased
involvement. Three cases are on the books at the moment. They are time hungry – but very
important, because they represent the sharp end of our SMIDSY campaign.
This is a brief report detailing any significant data which will allow you to see how we are
financially with the demise of MAG (UK) Limited and its effects on The Motorcycle Action
As of January P R Booth & Co, MAG (UK) Ltd’s liquidators transferred circa £16k of
membership funds that were paid into the RBS bank account after the company went into
liquidation. Further funds of over £21k remain in the NatWest account which are not included
in the liquidation of MAG (UK) but cannot be transferred nor can the account be transferred
to TMAGL. Over and above this amount just under £81k is outstanding from MAG (UK) Ltd.
As you will all be aware our cash flow has been at its worst over the past few months, a call
was put out for all funds held within regions to be handed over where possible and this has
alleviated the situation somewhat. Stormin are donating a monthly amount to also help with
this so to ensure that salaries are paid. MAP have now been invoiced for the funds raised at
its 2014 events of £50k (unfortunately just over £8k is VAT – this will be returned via
Yorkshire MAG as a further donation later in the year). Cash flow is being monitored and
every effort is being made to reduce any expenditure where possible.
The below graph shows that memberships by month have decreased but generally follow the
pattern of previous years. Our Direct Debit numbers have reduced slightly as members have
cancelled again due to the liquidation of MAG (UK). During 2014 we lost a total of 1000
members to the previous year. Please note January 2015 membership figures are draft with
two weeks standing orders not included.
On average we lost 80 members per month with December being the exception where
membership figures remained the same as December 2013. To help understand the figures
and their effects to our total numbers of membership please see the following chart showing
each cumulative year by month. Please note that all membership figures are new/renewed
memberships and exclude Life memberships and voting memberships of affiliated clubs or
Total Memberships by Year
Cash balances as at today 12.02.15 or where indicated.
Lloyds – current
Lloyds – instant access
Lloyds – current
Lloyds – current
RBS – current
RBS – current
MAG (UK) Standing Orders
Note * Payments due to be paid
Draft accounts for all businesses are with the Board for approval February 2015.
- Final NC attendance record 201502
- Final NC Minutes 201502
- MAG update January 15
- Report to board and NC 2015 02 12
- Finance Report Feb 15 Board