National Committee Attendance Sheet
National Committee Meeting
First Name Initials
Minute Taker / National Reps Liaison
North West Rep / Director TMAGL
South East Rep
Vice Chair / Eastern Rep
North Wales Rep (Acting)
Chair / East Anglia Rep / Director Nice
Employer Ltd / Director TMAGL
National Membership Coordinator
Thames Valley Rep
West Midlands Rep
East Midlands Rep
Campaigns & Policy Advisor
Herts / Essex Rep (Acting)
Director TMAGL / Director Nice
President / Editor “The Road”
Director Comms & Public Affairs
South West Rep
Western Region Rep
Clubs Liaison Officer / Yorkshire Rep
Director TMAGL / Foundation Trustee
North East Rep
South Wales Rep (Acting)
Scotland Rep / Director TMAGL
for Dave Wigham (Deputy)
Motorcycle Action Group: National Committee Meeting
Date: August 8, 2015 Time 12.00 pm Venue: Wren Hall, CV35 7NF
1. Introduction and Register of Interests
SL thanked all for attending and dealt with housekeeping issues. All attendees introduced themselves. SL
noted that input from attending Observers was welcome.
2. Apologies for absence:
Recorded on attached attendance sheet.
3. Appointments and resignations:
TP appointed as Director of Nice Employer Ltd.
Jon French resigned from position of South East Regional Rep. (It was noted that Alex Pease has put out a
request for interested potential Reps to come forward).
4. Adoption of NC agenda:
Adopted with revisions.
5. Ratification of previous NC Minutes:
To accept the Minutes of the June 2015 NC meeting.
Proposed: IW; Seconded: GL Carried.
6. Matters arising from previous NC Minutes:
The Action Points identified at the June NC meeting were reviewed as follows:
AP7: DW not here to update.
AP7: PT not actioned.
AP10(i): LM & LÖ had inconclusive meeting with AA representative. LÖ noted that formal representation is
needed and a steer on the points to cover.
AP10(i): Pathways to Progress being generated by LM.
AP10(i): TC not present. LÖ reported potential to “make a lot of noise” regarding the mayoral election by
suggesting (but not necessarily fielding) a candidate.
AP10: IW reported an initially frosty meeting with Cambrian Tyres but they are now on board. They will give
away a DVD and MAG information with tyre sales and also take out an advert in The Road to advertise this.
AP10(ii): SL said this would be covered under AOB.
AP11(i): SL noted that an Aims & Objectives document needs to be raised and then used with RRs.
AP11(iii): Feedback round the table was very positive with the one proviso that AGC date doesn’t clash with
Great Western Rally.
AP11(iv): JC not yet actioned.
AP11(x): TPo not present but SL updated. A batch of neck warmers is to be purchased and distributed by
request directly to TPo. SL will draw up a Best Practise document for purchases in general.
LÖ opened his report with a brief overview of appointed projects, operational considerations and priorities
for LÖ and LM. He then reported in more depth regarding several ongoing campaigns, potential new
In respect to the Justice Campaign, evidence is being gathered to enable MAG to push for a review of the
sentencing guidelines. Scotland Law will provide some case studies and a clear policy on the way forward
with this should be available by next NC meeting.
The Northern Ireland Safety Committee has started looking at compulsory hi-viz, PPE, etc for motorcyclists.
This is a dangerous thing for freedom of choice as NI is part of the UK and if pushed through, could set an
The recent Forth Bridge success, steered by SW, has raised again the issue of an unnecessarily
complicated stepped licencing system for motorcycles, which needs ironing out. LÖ will work out the system
with reference to DVLA and identify Aims & Objectives for a campaign.
SL felt that MAG needs to provide some “sensationalist” advertising in respect to this (for example an 11
year-old can have a gun licence; at 17 someone can pilot a 12-seater aircraft; you can’t have a big bike until
you’re over 24!!).
SW detailed the Forth Bridge campaign and results, which involved consultation at a high level,
demonstrations and discussions.
LÖ reported that LM is working hard on the issue of so-called “light segregation”; bikes in bus lanes (Robert
Goodwill is keen to create a proper policy about this) and creating blueprints for regional action and
LÖ noted that the owner of Henstridge Aerodrome has offered the site for an event, with the proviso that an
indemnity is signed.
Steve Baker has invited MAG to input on what they want to see change in respect to EU regulations.
LÖ has had a conversation with Andrew Turner MP (who he described as “an intense liberation”) and he has
stated that he would support a campaign to repeal the helmet law. An experimental campaign has been
suggested. IM stated that such a campaign would put the ball firmly back in the court of those who are
against freedom of choice and that it would see MAG fighting for liberty rather than the removal of it.
Following some discussion, an informal show of hands demonstrated an appetite to explore this further.
LÖ ran through priorities, and SL suggested ranking them at the end of the meeting.
8. Board meeting report:
SW reported as follows:
TP welcomed to Board of Directors for NEL.
New location for Central Office has been identified, which will save money after an initial outlay of
approximately £4K, due to reduced rental costs on the new property. There will be an overlap of leases to
minimise disruption of services.
I.T. work is progressing.
Accounts for year-end are not yet available, although an audit has been booked.
There are still some outstanding monies to come from M.A.G. (UK).
Membership is slightly down but follows previous year’s trends.
Following a question from OR, it was confirmed that club affiliation rates were not discussed. SL said a
Skype meeting is to be booked to progress this item after Stormin’. The Board wil not meet as usual prior to
October NC meeting due to accommodation being fully booked.
Following a book review in The Road, it was decided that an informed decision would be taken by the Board
in future where it is identified as a contentious issue.
9. FEMA report:
Circulated by NFL via NC email list.
1. FEMA is solvent.
2. We've saved a load of money.
3. Our GS is now ... a biker ... who actually understands, instinctively, wtf we're all about and understands
also what needs to be done to get us all where we want to be!
4. We've got a smart and economic new office sorted - see below.
5. Anna Zee and Jim Freeman of BMF have been brilliant for FEMA, emptying the old office and selling the
bike for FEMA funds.
Basically it's a total turnaround for the better from the situation we found 2 years ago.
If you've any questions please email me because I can't be at NC this weekend owing to work commitments.
10. Additions to emailed reports:
i. Regional Reps
British Independent Islands – vacant
Cumbria Report from Michael Armstrong, Cumbria RR
Had another ride and dine evening. Keswick bike Parking- Whitehaven MAG have set up a FaceBook page
which has all relevant information on it and has established a new working relationship with the Allerdale
District Council Parking Manager.
Also marshalled at the Quad Bike Championship to raise the profile of MAG.
Hosted their Dead End Rally, almost sold out and local MP John Woodcock was guest judge. Furness group
took plenty of rally pictures and N.E. MAG is doing a rally report.
Furness are all so planning a rock night later on in the year.
Regularly attend Whitehaven MAG meetings.
Pass on NC email to Whitehaven/Furness MAG when necessary.
Helped Furness MAG to invite John Woodcock MP for Barrow at the Dead End Rally, which I also attended.
Recruited Sue Hayman MP to join MAG and is willing to be interviewed by Mutchie.
At work, they bought 1000 Diesel Spills Kill Stickers. When I hand them over, there will be a write up in the
works magazine and I will ask them to publish their article in the The ROAD.
East Anglia Report from Selina Lavender, East Anglia RR & Chair
East Anglia is ticking over.
West Norfolk MAG have yet to make a final decision on a new venue for their meetings, they do however
continue to meet and share info on their FaceBook page, website and via text. Currently they have not
planned a fundraising event for this year as this was abandoned when they lost their venue.
Bury St Edmunds MAG had a successful bike show, the rain didn’t keep people away. This was the first
year for this event and they are already looking to repeat it next year. They did an excellent job of getting the
local radio station on board so it was well advertised.
Both groups continue to attend events across the region.
Thanks go to Lembit for attending the Jack ‘n’ Rosie for Charity bike show (over the board in Essex)
attended by members from both East Anglian groups. This event raised nearly £300 for MAG (3
organisations benefit from this event.
Expired members have yet to be chased.
East Midlands – vacant
Eastern Report from Dave Hammond, Eastern RR & Vice Chair
Attended St Ives Festival of Motorcycling with a regional stand, no one signed up but people saw we are in
Worked at the Farmyard and Pudding.
Regional meeting, eastern region has no problem with the date of AGC being moved.
Marshalled a funeral run as requested by a corporate member, which resulted in a £50 donation by Wheels
Ensured Peterborough MAG is a stakeholder in Peterborough’s LTP (Local Transport Planning) document.
Attended picnic run with Peterborough & West Norfolk MAG members (with cake, thanks boss)
Greater London – vacant
Herts & Essex Jon Metcalfe
Lincolnshire Alex Bridgwood
No written report, verbal update at meeting.
North East Report from Dave Wigham, North East RR
Spent a lot of time at the local groups trying to drum up marshals for Stormin’ with some success.
Have managed to man MAG stall at Stormin’ all weekend without using Stormin’ marshals.
Supplied trained staff to Yorkshire Pudding MAG stall.
Will be attending Spat out of Hull with stall.
Blyth MAG had a successful AGM.
Prostate cancer badges have arrived today, to avoid hassles I’ve simply funded this myself. These
have only just arrived so won’t be at this NC for distribution.
Attended Cumbria MAG Dead End rally with MAG stall, didn’t sell much but took some memberships
Date in Road for Regional AGM.
Wil be attending NABD “Lil Tiddler” with stall.
North Wales Report from Bill Hughes, Acting Rep
No written report, verbal update at meeting.
North West Report from Tony Cox, North West RR & TMAGL Director
12th June:- Board meeting Haseley Coach House
Attended the Board Meeting minutes available at www.mag-uk.org
13th June:- MAG NC, Wren Hall Wroxhall
Attended the MAG NC meeting at Wroxhall, minutes available at www.mag-uk.org
17th June:- Re-launch of Red Rose MAG, Petre Arms, Whalley, Blackburn.
Following on from a discussion held at the NABD rally last month, it was decided to re-launch Red Rose
MAG as it was felt that the group was not going anywhere at it’s current location. It was a good turnout with
many new faces making an appearance and promise of plenty of future activity.
24th June: - North West Alliance Meeting Road Slayers Brotherhood, Salford
I attended the meeting along with other NW local group reps. Gave reports on MAG activities and future
events. Good turnout.
25th-28 th June: - Blackpool MAG “Cod Help Us Rally” Fleetwood RUFC.
Took a few days off work to help set-up and run this rally. New venue and rally went very well making a
good profit so should be a cheque winging its way down to Central very soon.
29th June: - Launch of Liverpool MAG, Old Swan Conservative Club, Liverpool
I went down with a few of the local reps to support the launch of Liverpool MAG. I had approached Alec
Hughes a while ago at one of the NW Alliance meetings about starting this group and after some
deliberation he agreed and the group has been formed. An enthusiastic bunch turned out on the night and
hope that the numbers will increase as MAG needs representation within this city.
5th July: Blackpool Bike Show, Stanley Park.
It was a record attendance in our 9th Year of holding this annual event. Once again a substantial amount
taken on the gate and in products sold which will keep the NW funds going over the next year.
14th July:- Launch of Macclesfield MAG, The Cock, Henbury, Cheshire
The launch of Macclesfield MAG was very well attended by local bike groups and other MAG groups. Paul
“Winch” Winchester has taken up the mantle in running this group and it seems that he has plenty of support
from across the Border into East Midlands and Peak and District MAG. Quite a few local issues for these
groups to be getting involved with and hoping to see Mac MAG going from strength to strength.
29th:- July: - North West Alliance Meeting, Devil Disciples Clubhouse, Bury
I attended the meeting and gave reports on MAG activities and future events. These meetings also act as a
get together of most of the NW local MAG reps. Good turnout.
Other news from around the region
It has been a very busy last couple of months. We now have eight active groups in the region which is more
than I can ever remember. Blackpool MAG rally went well this year donating £3k to Central funds and the
Bike Show which is classed as a NW event was also run exclusively by members of Blackpool MAG and this
was also a great success. Salford MAG continues to have success in influencing local authorities with
respect to road layout modifications. Manchester MAG Rep Jimmy Torrance has reported the installation of
Armadillos in Stockport and so keeping a close eye on this one. Kev from Morecambe & Lancaster MAG
continues to support local events with the MAG stall. Stu from Wirral MAG is trying to organise a Rock Night
to help publicise the group’s presence and raise some funds. Red Rose has recently had a re-launch and
plenty of enthusiasm there. Liverpool MAG struggling for numbers but hope to soon get established and
have recently moved venues. Macclesfield MAG have also moved venue for reasons I cannot go into here.
I am still very busy trying to coordinate modifications to the new web-site and upgrade of our IT systems as
well as supporting other events. I will not be at the NC meeting this August due to taking the MAG stand to
the Bulldog Bash as MAP are unable to support this year.
Tony Cox, NW Regional Rep.
Northern Ireland – vacant
Scotland Report from Steve Wykes, Scotland RR & TMAGL Director
A moderately busy period of campaigning with some success and a couple of other issues ramping up in
June 12th/13th Attended June NC and Board meetings
June 15th Provided briefing document on Forth Crossing and ban on Learner motorcyclists to Alec
Salmond, following a meeting between Alec, Lembit, Selina and Dave Hammond at Westminster on 9th
June 19th/20th Attended Farmyard Party and helped man the MAG Stand.
June 26th With Lembit attended a positive meeting with Project Leaders from Transport Scotland on the
Forth Crossing project, Confirmed that the position where learner motorcyclists would not be allowed either
on the New Bridge which is a motorway or the existing Forth Road Bridge which is to be a Public Transport
Corridor had been reviewed by the Minister Derek Mackay (No doubt influenced by Alec Salmond also
contacting him on our behalf) and that he was now minded to permit learner on bikes up to 125cc to use the
existing bridge. It was acknowledged that this would remain the position unless serious objections were
received during the TRO process scheduled for spring 2016. We shall monitor the TRO process and ensure
that MAG and others support the revised position.
July 1st Attended PATAP Edinburgh Transport Sub Committee meeting. This group looks at the actions
and measures associated with delivering access to and integration with Public Transport in Edinburgh as
part of meeting the requirement of the Councils Transport Strategy. From our perspective this includes
ensuring adequate provision for PTWs at interchanges park and ride site etc. Was also able to confirm that
the long awaited access to bus-lanes in Edinburgh is going ahead in October. This follows an attempt by
our pushie friends by submitting numerous objections to the TRO's and attempting to send a delegation to
speak to the June Transport and Environment Committee. Their objections were rejected and their attempts
to subvert the TRO process by making a presentation to the committee were also dismissed on legal advice.
This does of course mean that we will have to monitor the trial closely and ensure positive feedback is given
by bikers during the trial.
July 31st - August 1st Attended YPR Great event well run as always.
August 2nd Attended a meeting of bikers concerned at the large increase in bike theft in Edinburgh and
Police Scotland's stance on tackling bike theft. They have a policy that they will not pursue bike thieves not
wearing helmets and have on at least one occasion backed away from thieves to avoid confrontation. Other
stories of officers being disciplined for chasing thieves on foot beggar belief while the perpetrators blatantly
display their conquests all over social media. Bikesure to be contacted to get accurate theft data over the
past few years.
August 4th Attended a positive meeting with Alex Rowley MSP at Holyrood. He was following up on the "A
Bridge too far" campaign and was delighted at the change in stance by the minister, but indicated that he
would still quiz the minister to help ensure that he does not renege on the promise given. Other issues
including bike theft were discussed and he was keen to keep in touch with any developments.
August 4th Attended a meeting with Stuart Baxter from Transport Scotland Regarding the Scottish Road
Safety Framework review meeting scheduled for 31st August. Terms of reference were given and while the
review meeting will be looking at measures in force there will also be scope to identify and shape future
initiatives aimed at reducing casualties. Initiatives and measures should be evidence based. Any
information such as the MAIDS report and any recent quantitative information on bike accidents or
information on other schemes nationally such as Ride Safe Back Safe would be appreciated.
Other than the above have attended Edinburgh and Glasgow Local Group meetings.
South East vacant
South Wales Report from Ian Williamson, Acting RR
Aberystwyth MAG rally at Aberaeron Rugby Club raised £800 to be split 50/50 between MAG and
NABD. 2 new members joined.
Brecon MAG pet food run raised £40.00 split 50/50 between MAG and Animal Shelter
Aberystwyth MAG Engagement Day on the Promenade in Aberystwyth allowed 3 new members to be
Responses to the latest Welsh Government RTC statistics for Motorcycle casualties being formatted.
Casualties increased by 2.83% in the last year.
Political lobbying being carried out by members to achieve the regions aims of:-
Bikes in all bus lanes
Orca or Armadillos prevented from use in Wales
Retained budgets for free training
Aberystwyth MAG has ordered road side markers to be placed at isolated spots for the benefit of all
giving Grid References and descriptions of location, as fed up waiting for Welsh Government to act.
Abersywtth MAG have also acquired the equipment to give locations and print grid references.
Badges, Fridge Magnets and Keyrings in Welsh and MAG National logos purchase and being sold,
when all costs covered, profits to MAG Central.
AGM at the Owls Nest, Llandovery on the 23rd August at 14.00, observer requested.
South West Report from Tim Poole, South West RR
Southern Report from Tim Peregrine, Southern RR
No written report, verbal update at meeting.
Thames Valley Gareth Lewis, Thames Valley RR
Warwickshire Roger Ford, Warwickshire RR
West Midlands Eddie Lowe, West Midlands RR
It has been a busy time in west midlands with the result of our efforts in organising the Heart of England
rally combined with the annual Brum Demo taking place in July. This gives me the chance to again than
Selina for attending and Lembit and Ian Mutch for coming along and addressing all the riders at the end of
the Brum Demo run. Another thanks i should give is not only to the local groups and volunteers for their help
but also a specific thanks to Colin one of our members who has been busy helping in general but also
helping liaise with the city council which has AGAIN PROVED FAR FROM STRAIGHTFORWARD and very
frustrating at times. One bright point re councils though is that there are now meetings taking place with
local borough, city and county councils hopefully this will help promote MAG and its aims for the good of
Western report from Deb Rose, Western RR
Apologies tardy and late .......new grandsons are such time wasters :-)
Weston: Busy with final arrangements for GWR rally.....tickets available via George or myself! Members
have been busy attending Haynes museum, Castle Combe and Calne events and Weston bike night to raise
awareness and sign up new members.
Bristol: Busy with final arrangements for Bristol Bike Show after Show Party. Also have had members at all
the above events. Success in the tombstone discussions with the council as already reported by Anne.
Glos: meetings busier now. Members helped with delivery and manning of stand at Calne.
Swindon: remains inactive are discussing how to reignite this branch.
Mid Wilts: Andy Kerr organised place for stand at Calne also discussions on how to reignite this branch.
Not Avon: Inactive group some keen /active members attend other groups /functions.
Brief as requested
Yorkshire Report from Oliver Rose
This reporting period has obviously been one of the most busy of the year for Yorkshire region - the
Farmyard party fell a week after our last meeting, and the Yorkshire Pudding was the week before.
Both events appear to have been well attended, and the efforts of MAP have certainly been helpful in
trimming back the costs, so we are looking at fairly successful result from those events and with a sold-out
Spat to come as well, the events side should be promising.
Politics hasn’t been put on hold with the major events, however. The West Yorkshire Combined Authority
(WYCA) meetings that were mentioned at length in our last meeting have been continuing, and the majority
of our efforts have been focused there. By all accounts, the only outstanding sticking point is bus lane
access from the Pathways to Progress document, which should mean a massive bike-friendly area for
everyone else to reference.
We’ve also got talks upcoming with Barnsley Council, as they move towards knocking the town down and
putting it back together again, and with South Yorkshire Police.
The next major event in our calendar is the Regional AGM and MAP Ltd AGM, which is provisionally booked
for the 17th (MAP) and 18th (Region) of October. Mr Vice Chair has provisionally put his name forward to
observe. More information will be put out as soon as things become firmer.
AB reported a quiet time recently other than over £300 being forwarded to Central following a successful
bike parking provision for the recent Harley Super Rally event, with monies raised being split with Lincoln
BH reported a small group and difficulties in generating interest, but work to raise MAG’s profile at regular
popular bike meets is ongoing.
IW requested an Observer for Regional AGM. SL to attend. He also reported that grants have been
awarded to four companies who are looking at motorcycle safety. He further declared an interest as he sits
on the panel that makes the awards.
TP reported a quiet time but Salisbury are moving forward regarding next year’s show. Hampshire Road
Safety meeting also attended. A MAG stand was taken to a local scooter rally.
OR currently busy with two major events, and politically things are dominated by the West Yorkshire
Combined Authority. A meeting with Barnsley Council has taken place and an invitation has been extended
to Yorkshire Police to discuss “failure to stop” incidents with the hope of getting incidents involving
motorcycles treated as seriously as those involving cyclists.
PT asked whether he could attend Cumbria AGM as Observer as he is not being elected to any regional
post. OR and SW will check if available; if not, TC and DW to be notified.
SW reported concerns regarding motorcycle theft figures going up and will source the figures. An invitation
to sit on Scotland Road Safety Framework review will be taken up. LÖ said that if the data can be accessed
Scotland Law could look into the matter.
Gordon reported that letters have been sent to relevant bodies regarding Orcas and there is an event in
Colin reported that initial meetings have taken place and been set up with various councils to build
SL will send out East Anglia report.
Chair and Vice-Chair
Chair report to NC August 2015 meeting
I can report that I have remained very busy over the past two months mostly with admin work, stand work
and attending events. On average I have spoken with Julie every other day, Lembit once a week and Leon
once a fortnight.
Work on the Justice Campaign has been ongoing since the last NC meeting. Lembit, Julie and I correspond
on this almost weekly. You will see there is an article from Lembit on this in the latest issue of The ROAD,
however behind that there is a draft aims and objectives document and a support/filter mechanism (these
have yet to be finalised).
I will discuss with you on Saturday a proposal on what next for the ULEZ campaign. Two active members
are keeping my in loop as to ongoing work in Yorkshire and West Midlands.
I have been reading a lot of things and trying to update the FaceBook page. It is clear that I am creating a
delay because of the sheer volume of what I am trying to deal with. I am working to resolve this including a
proposal for discussion at the Board meeting for a Stand Manager. If you know of any MAG members that
are happy to help at national level please let me know. If any of you have extra capacity please likewise let
I remain keen to work closer with other organisations such as NABD however it is important to me that we
have a plan on how we see things working. I feel this is very important as we all need to understand the
hows & whys, and importantly we need repeatability in all we do. I know many of you have great success in
your regions and I’m keen that we reproduce that across the whole country. As key items come up please
make sure you feed in with your own experience, this extends to all MAG members.
Minutes for AGC & June NC have been out on Dropbox for some time with very little response so I will call
for a vote on those on Saturday.
My diary through June to end of July
5th – 7th June FEMA Spring Meeting in Dublin
8th June Westminster City Council meeting
10th June BSH article
12/13th June Board & NC meetings
18th – 22nd June Farmyard Party – all things stand related, presented bike show prizes.
28th June Local bike show with local MAG stand, more presenting of prizes to show winners.
2nd July Interview with MCN reported (a copy of the text went to Anne for Network)
4th July Brum Demo, attended the demo having lent my bike to Lembit for him to get there. Gave a speech.
Visited the Heart of England site briefly after the run.
9th July Evening meeting with Jane (NRLO) & Dave (Vice Chair) to discuss guidelines on observing
AGMs and regions without reps.
10th July BSH article
12th July Attended Peterborough MAG picnic at Hunstanton with homemade cream sponge.
18th July Dirt Quake – I messed up booking an event I wished to attend in a completely non MAG capacity
and spotted this was on so decided to attend then found out Lembit was going. It is a BikeSure sponsored
event in King’s Lynn. The outcome of which was I spent some time talking to BikeSure at the event, NABD
and MAG members.
31st July – 2nd August Yorkshire Pudding Rally (YPR), chatting with those present, more prize giving and
supporting the MAG stand.
Before I left for YPR I wrote my Chair article for The ROAD and proof read my allotted pages, emailing Mr M
As soon as this report comes out to you I will be writing my next article for BSH. I will also be heading
over to South Wales to attend their AGM on the 23rd of August.
Attended meeting with Westminster City Council supporting Chair (got home 02:30, told Tink I would be late,
guess I should have said early lol)
Evening meeting with Jane (NRLO) & Selina (Chair) to discuss guidelines on observing AGMs and regions
Ready for Boss (chair) to shout/swear at when needed, and to give support.
iii. National Reps’ Liaison Officer
Please find attached the official Version 01 of the new, revamped Handbook for Officers and
Representatives of MAG.
A draft version was circulated some weeks ago and if you still have this, please delete/destroy it as it has
been superseded by the attached.
There is a section now regarding AGMs.
There will no doubt be further work in the future (e.g. adding in relevant documentation that can be obtained
from Central, any newly identified topics, etc.) and updated versions of the document will be made available
Once again my apologies for the length of time it has taken to bring this document to fruition; however I
hope you will think it was worth the wait and that we now have a friendly, accessible and useful “go to” tool
to assist our Officers and Representatives in carrying out their roles with confidence and to a high standard.
Jane, aka The Lady Rootveg
MAG National Reps' Liaison Officer
IW moved a vote of thanks to JC for her work in producing the new Reps’ Handbook.
iv. National Clubs Officer
Mostly quiet this period - the only things on the agenda so far are to find out when a few upcoming AGMs
are to see if they would like attendance from myself or local reps.
With that in mind, it’s all about the future - the NABD AGM is on the 22nd of August, which I intend to attend
if I remember to call them. My primary intention here is to try and foster an information relationship with them
in regards to any changes about trikes, as their knowledge on that subject probably far exceeds anyone in
I’ve also had a request from Oxford Honda Owners Club, who would like someone to attend a meeting with
them in September (15th, provisionally) to talk MAG. I’m told Lembit attended last year on our behalf, but I’d
prefer not to use him again unless it’s a national-scale event or some other factor comes into play that would
make it worthwhile.
OR reported that the Honda Owners Club Thames Valley have requested a presentation. TP to attend.
v. Network Officer
Herewith - bare bones:-
Since last NC I've produced 2 editions of Network; helped on the MAG stand at National BikeSafe and
Calne; taken Minutes at two Bristol Committee Meetings and one Regional Committee Meeting.
Over and out.
vi. Membership Coordinator
I continue to send out to those few membership secretaries request for info on how they are doing, however
responses tend to be sparse, I have been able to help one membership secretary out, as they were unable
to get on with the Excel doc sent to them by converting it into a Word Table, which they have been happy
Thank you for sourcing the replacement PC.:-* Its taken a wee while to get used to Windows 7, as I was on
XP before and MS will insist on hiding stuff in different places!!!>:o
vii. Executive Officer
Offices – The option of moving to Hatton Technology Park is no longer an option with all suitable units now
let. We were offered another option at Hatton Country World but this is not suitable in the retail/children’s
farm environment. I have now secured suitable offices at Holly Farm Business Park, Honiley, Kenilworth.
This will be available to us from 1st October so we will have one month where double rent will be paid, which
will allow a staged move. The move will be completed by the end of October with the view to be fully
operational on Monday 2nd November. I am negotiating with the current landlords some of the office
furniture, as they do not wish to store furniture – I am aiming for this to be free but otherwise only a small
contribution would be offered.
IT – Work in progress regarding replacement of the web/email server please refer to Tony Cox. Regarding
the website, Greg has now made contact and starting to look at the website, it may be that a fresh install will
be required, this is being worked on. I have been in communication with Andrew Meredith regarding the
broadband connection and have worked out a plan of action to work around the move of offices so not to
disrupt the website services so keeping this to a minimum. I am sourcing a suitable broadband connection
that will be set up at the current location and moving one of current broadband lines to the new offices
(ensuring that this is working first) and then upon final completion of the move have the new service
transferred over. This should also allow the transfer of the office telephone numbers.
MAG (UK) – still receiving new direct debits and standing orders from transferring MAG (UK) standing order
Staff – I am no further forward with regards to Cheryl Rowlands, Selina has attempted to make contact but
not had a good response. It may be most appropriate to walk away and investigate other options in the form
of a new corporate member who is also interested in taking on the role of the free legal helpline that we offer
via Access Legal. * redacted. LO has been working on a realistic ten point action plan to include the NC
approved campaigns and all other administrational repetitive tasks. This is allow a more structured process
so to move forward.
Sub-Contractors contracts – The same task was given to LM as LO so that he was not overwhelmed. We
have re-categorised his campaigns into area’s as we found that once one concern had ended another
problem was highlighted which warranted the same investment of time and crossed over with similar
implications. We will monitor this over the coming months and review in October as approved at the
previous Board meeting. IM has produced an invoice for this financial year and have agreed that he can
submit an invoice in this way and then we will pay on a monthly basis.
My role – As we have now agreed the office lease I will work on making the move as sleek as possible to
keep any disruption to members minimal. I have started to prepare the account for the year end processes
and so preparing for audit. This is at a time when it is our busiest and annual leave has an impact. The
workload has not reduced and I do not foresee this in the near future but all work is being carried out in an
methodical way and is being completed. * redacted.
Bank Accounts – All signed documents have now been passed to Lloyds for processing.
* redacted. Two sections have been redacted as they contain very personal information.
Circulated via email. SL noted in addition that the new offices can be viewed the morning of the next NC
meeting if wished; that the PO Box number will be retained and that hopefully the contact telephone will also
viii. Finance and membership figures
This is a brief report detailing any significant data which will allow you to see how we are financially for The
Motorcycle Action Group Limited up to end of June 2015. As it is coming up to year end and with the timing
of the meeting the month of July is not complete.
As writing this report I am preparing and reconciling all year-end figures and have booked the audit for early
September so not to be disrupted by the office move.
I have had no further communication with P R Booth & Co, MAG (UK) Ltd’s liquidators in regards to a final
settlement figure and the accounts still show around £81k as outstanding.
We received the final donation from Stormin’ the Castle in June from the 2014 event and with the continued
vigilance regarding all expenditure has maintained a good cash flow. The reduction of the rental costs from
1st June has also added to this improvement.
We have now signed a Letter of Intent to lease new offices at Holly Farm Business Park, Honiley, which
after the initial move and the costs involved will also show a further reduction in rental costs. The move is
planned during October with the office up and running in the new location from the beginning of November.
The below graph shows that memberships by month have decreased but generally follow the pattern of
previous years. Our Direct Debit numbers have increased as members have transferred from paying by
Standing Order. Our biggest financial loss will be the donations paid by standing order payers but we are
hopeful that they will also be transferred and continue to donate. Please note from the second week in April
no standing order memberships were taken so will dramatically reduce the figures shown. I hope to show
the improvement to these figures from July onwards as the Direct Debits become live transactions. We
currently have just over 1600 direct debits set up and I am still working through the numbers that are still
coming in on a daily basis.
To help understand the figures and their effects to our total numbers of membership please
see the following chart showing each cumulative year by month. Please note that all
membership figures are new/renewed memberships and exclude Life memberships and voting
memberships of affiliated clubs or corporate members.
Cash balances as at today 30.07.15 or where indicated.
Lloyds – current
Lloyds – instant access
Lloyds – standing orders
Lloyds – current
Lloyds – current
RBS – current
RBS – current
Firstly Jack Moses Smiley has asked me to thank you all for allowing him to attend the last NC meeting
which he found both informative and entertaining.
The latest issue of The ROAD has now gone to press and the printers have not rung up with a single query
about any of the pages which I think is a first. Of course it may mean they have all gone on holiday and the
issue will be a week late. Actual y I think I’l check with them that everything is tickety boo.
I doubt there has ever been so much proofing for which I am indebted to several members of the proofing
team who took on more pages than they should have been the case had the entire team turned to which
I am reminded of attendance at the boat deck in response to the alarm bells ringing on the Motor Vessel
Essex upon which I sailed to NZ in 1975. Since the engine room caught fire every day of the 30-day
voyage, enthusiasm for turning out at boat stations diminished in line with the crying wolf principle. By the
time we were half way across the Pacific my boat launching party consisted of me and a Chinese fitter
named Mr Phuk who got really annoyed if you pronounced his name phonetically when reading out the roll
call. I digress.
A gold star goes to Leon for getting me his column almost two weeks early, encouraging the belief that the
Open University degree in stonemasonry he has been following has paid off big time.
The Farmyard was a grin as usual and the spread in this issue owes far more to the creative talents of a
slightly odd looking Estonian than my own. The genius of the ‘astonished man’ concept is something you will
all spontaneously recognise on perusing the pages which his startled features embel ish. LEmbit’s efforts
are also reflected in the reviews of the Lion Rally and Chinnor Bike Dayz to which I have contributed the
square root of diddlysquat beyond providing transport.
I rode there with Lembit on pil ion after giving a talk to the crowd at the end of the Brum demo in July. I think
with the possible exception of Neil he is the worst pillion passenger I have carried in the last 20 years though
there was a bit of a gale blowing to be fair. I don’t count the Beast of course but then she has an excuse as
she weighs between 60 and 80 stone depending on the time of year.
As an aside if you are ever tempted to give a lift to a Grizzly, make it in spring when they’ve just awoken
after several months of effortless slimming. Late autumn is the worst time especially if the salmon have been
running in numbers. They can also be extremely bad tempered - read ‘Riding With the Beast’ £6.99 plus
P&P or get it on kindle for peanuts. Actual y kindle sales are taking off so don’t get left behind.
By the time I got Lembit’s gear bungeed on the Harley the number plate was totally invisible and that was
despite the fact that he didn’t have a sleeping bag and spent a night in his tent exploring hypothermia which
convinces me he is slightly odd.
I spent a great deal of time talking to a chap from the Honda Club who it turned out was the fellow who had
recommended the club not renew its MAG affiliation. He credited Oliver with talking him out of that so well
done again Oliver. Actually Oliver has been busy in Tehran lately sorting out that nuclear deal but he’l be
too modest to tell you all about it and will probably deny it. Study the picture of Obama glad handing Mr Ali
Baba pajama and you’l see Oliver in the background smiling quietly to himself.
There’s a picture of the Honda guy who actually turned out to be a pretty decent bloke in my estimation, in
this issue and it has to be said that he looks a hell of a lot like a black Irish boxer with an ear biting
reputation but it isn’t him, it real y isn’t honest Neil.
After a night of lemonade and tonic we rode to London to fix the pond pump at my flat and gawp at my new
tenant who is a bit tasty and not in need of any gym time at all on account of getting plenty of it. Lembit can
confirm this as he spent ages chatting to her as I wrestled with the aquatic apparatus though he’l probably
tell people he fixed the pump in-between gawping.
I gave a talk to Taunton MAG on my trips into Africa the other week. This didn’t have much to do with MAG
I must admit but it pulled in over 20 people to the meeting which is more than normally attend and a nice girl
called something said she would definitely join and I think MAG took about a tenner from the book sales.
Tim may be able to confirm. Thanks for the cakes Sarah. I ate one and discovered a second one in a glove
compartment of my car a week later. Jack and I went for it simultaneously but I got the greater part of it at
the end of the crumb-spitting fracas.
Jack has a girlfriend called Chelsea which is rather posh you may be thinking. Chelsea is a feisty Staffie
bitch who wrestles with Jack on Wearyall Hill where Joseph of Arimathea planted the holy thorn but you
probably knew that.
At the eleventh hour I discovered I had a spare page on account of having included the products page twice
which obviously wasn’t my fault. In the end I offered it gratis to BSH as a gesture of friendliness. Nik
Samson seemed happy and then asked me for our ad rates which he has promised to shove under the
noses of the powers at Canary Wharf Tower. So it may pay off let’s see. I notice that they have moved from
the 17th floor to the 22nd which presumably means they are doing better than once they were and I am told
their sales are up.
There should be a feature from me in the next issue by the way; first time in over ten years not counting the
40th anniversary piece which even Stu admitted I had to write. It’s the Southern Bike Show in Salisbury.
There’s an interview with Si of the Hairy Bikers in this issue. I’ve been trying to get there for a couple of
years now. It’s not as good as I could have made it to be honest but it’s not bad and it connects MAG with
the popular celebrity factor which I figure is no bad thing. After editing it I realised I’d discussed food a lot
more than bikes but then hey we have to eat don’t we?
Speaking of food – MAG’s political lobbying team is now headed by a man who eats raw tinned fish. I am a
broad-minded chap on the culinary front but raw tinned fish - to quote the vernacular - “hel o.”
Speaking of Lembit he was late for his last appearance at Avalon HQ as - get this - he had an opportunity to
meet the man on the moon.
To quote the vernacular again - “hel o!”
I gesteth not.
I’m not writing any more. Mr M
IM reported that “This issue [of The Road] is astonishing!!” He also reported that a better deal has been
negotiated with the printers, with a saving of around £8K per year.
11. Any other business:
PT reported that the Foundation is still within the timeframe allotted by the Charities Commission to
revitalise. He noted that Fin Coulson is keen to get involved and also a non-member, Ken German.
PT has attended a Parking Association meeting and spoken to two companies in respect to a parking guide.
IW observed that two people had expressed an interest in becoming Trustees 18 months ago but have since
PT is to liaise with Andy Meredith regarding making changes to the website, which is out-of-date with
incorrect personnel still listed.
It was noted that Pat van Aalst is still Treasurer for the Foundation and Julie is in contact with him. This
situation will remain until new Directors are found.
LÖ observed that care would be needed if the Foundation was ultimately wound up to prevent a perception
that it could be TMAGL.
SL requested that RRs ask for submissions for hosting AGC 2016. She further noted that Sarah from
Taunton MAG has provided in-depth information that could assist groups/regions in putting this event on.
JC is turning this information into a document. Sarah is happy to be a point of contact for further guidance.
iii. AGC 2015
It was noted that some minor corrections had been made and a new draft circulated.
To accept the Minutes of the 2015 Annual Group Conference.
Proposed: OR; Seconded: IW. Carried
To accept the Constitutional amendment with the added explanatory note.
Proposed: IW; Seconded: GL. Carried.
iv. PLI proposal and enforcement
SL circulated the proposal that had been previously discussed via email and noted that a copy has gone to
Julie at Central for the records. TP to provide a guidance statement to Julie regarding how to proceed and
SL noted that there had not been the expected spike in numbers changing over from Standing Orders to
Direct Debits. She encouraged all to feed in to GL with any membership issues requiring assistance.
SL stated that there is a need for training and is looking at repeatability in this respect. Short (around 20
minutes) presentations will be made available and a training pack on USB will be made available to share
IW will put his AGC 2015 presentation into Dropbox and all encouraged to send in useful information.
SL showed NC a copy of a tee-shirt design to be used in a letter-delivering stunt in respect to the new
congestion charges, which will require bikes to pay the same amount as cars. She suggested that this
letter, objecting to the payments, is delivered to Parliament, Department for Transport and Transport for
London. This may take place in September or, if not possible due to Parliament only sitting for two weeks of
the month, at a future time, possibly May 2016. The stunt has repeatability in the regions for use with MP’s
SL reported that a letter has been sent to Central Office from Cycle Loop stating that they will sue MAG for
defamation of their company’s product. It was noted that LM knows a good lawyer who has looked over this
letter and it appears that there is nothing to worry about, particularly in light of the fact they appear not to
know or understand the difference between libel (written) and slander (spoken).
ix. Reps’ Handbook
Two appendices (Constitution and Model Rules) wil be added to the Reps’ Handbook in due course. All
were asked to look at the Model Rules and check for errors and omissions beforehand.
AG said that Andy Meredith had questioned there being no mention of Facebook or protocols in respect to
Social Media. IW quoted from the relevant sections that are in the Handbook.
It was suggested that any comments or suggestions could be dealt with off-list.
SL reported that Julie is working on negotiating a better price for the MAG stand for this year’s NEC show.
Once details have been confirmed, volunteers will be sought. The event takes place from the last weekend
in November through the first week of December.
xi. Issues of The Road
SL noted that The Road is a member benefit and that in future only previous issues will be released for
circulation at events, etc. Central will control issue of these.
xii. Disparity between car/motorcycle licencing: a potential campaign issue?
Item removed due to relevant personnel being no longer in post.
Priority setting, the final task of the day was to apply some priority to all the items identified as requiring
L&L’s key priorities:
1. Northern Ireland issues (Lembit)
2. Licence testing regime (Lembit)
3. Manhole covers (get a grip?) ‘how-to’ guide (Lembit)
4. Physical Segregation Schemes, e.g. Orcas (Leon)
5. Justice campaign (10% of time) (Lembit)
6. Bus lanes policy (Leon)
7. Forth Road Bridge campaign (Wykes)
8. Wight Ops (Lembit)
9. ULEZ Campaign (Leon)
10. Promote MAG's Five Pathways for Progress (Leon)
11. Create regional action/campaign plans (Leon)
12. Bike thefts and speed limits (Lembit/Leon)
Lembit’s operational considerations:
1. Visits managed via Julie for ‘big’ and ‘regional‘ events
2. Lembit directed by NC, Board, Chair and Julie
3. Time management allocates priorities
4. Lembit to empower RRs to deliver results
5. Lembit to develop best practice for reapplication
6. Lembit to nurture political relationships
Leon’s operational considerations
1. Develop ways to oppose physical segregation schemes
2. Develop 'state of nation' database regarding bus lanes
3. Increase use of Leon at regional level in key policy areas
4. Help engagement with key policy shapers
5. DfT; Regain influence at top level
6. Developing relationships in policy/industry
Date of next meeting: Saturday 10th October 2015.
Appendix 1, record of email vote relating to PLI.
Appendix 2, wording of constitutional change as voted on at AGC 2015.
Report to NC and Board on key areas of work by Policy and Campaigns Unit
This version: 30th July 2015
Leon and Lembit
In response to a request for streamlined reporting, this summarised the core activities of
Lembit & Leon. We welcome feedback on these priorities at any time, and Leon's report is
slightly more extensive as he is unable to attend the meetings on Saturday 8th August.
It has been established that Leon & Lembit will both work to key priorities. Other work
continues as well, but the goal is to remain faithful to these key project areas in order to focus
time and effort on specific, strategically important outcomes for MAG.
Lembit’s key priorities are:
Forth Road Bridge campaign
Northern Ireland issues
Licence testing regime
Lembit’s operational considerations
Visits: we’re managing these logically and via Julie to ensure a good balance. As well
as the ‘big events,’ the aim is to attend clubs, groups and rallies in new areas where
Lembit hasn’t been to recently, or at all. Please make requests via Julie.
Lembit will work on campaigns as directed by NC, Board, Chair and Julie
Time management is key to ensure the right time allocations and prevent burn-out
Lembit will seek to support and empower RRs to succeed and deliver results
Lembit will write down best practice – for reapplication
Physical Segregation Schemes aka Armadillos, Orcas etc.
Consolidating Bikes in Bus Lanes policy
Supporting regional engagement with key policy shapers
DfT; Regaining influence at top level
Developing blueprint documents for regional action and campaigns
Promote MAG's Five Pathways for Progress (Document attached)
Developing influential relationships with key figures in policy and industry
Leon’s operational considerations
Develop strategies for coping with expanding number of proposals for physical
segregation schemes – and add weight to challenges at regional level
Develop a 'state of the nation' database regarding existing and pending bikes in bus
lanes schemes – and encourage contact via HQ with Leon from regional activists
Increase use of Leon at regional level to improve MAG's influence in key policy areas
Lembit Opik: Priorities
Forth Road Bridge campaign
The campaign to secure crossing rights for learner riders on the ‘old’ Forth Road Bridge has
been a complete success. There’s a full report in The Road Issue 60. Thanks to the intervention
of Alex Salmond MP, we have achieved a monumentally important change in policy. Credit to
Steve Wykes – and to Mr Salmond.
Lembit has received approval to proceed with the Justice Campaign which was initiated and
developed by John Mitchell. A fuller report is in Issue 60 of The Road. We’re asking for your
help to amass a body of evidence to indicate the extent of the unfairness when it comes to
sentencing drivers who cause injury and death for motorcyclists. This is a huge project and
absorbs around 30%-40% of Lembit’s time.
Lembit has completed the MP Support Pack, which is intended to assist local members with
signing up their local MPs. There’s a write up in Issue 60 of The Road, inviting members to get
their politicians to sign up. Lembit will continue to support this activity and ensure we develop
a totally reliable communications system with MPs through the Parliamentary environment.
Members should feel free to contact Lembit at any time for any assistance they might need.
Lembit continues to visit Parliament on a Tuesday.
He is also organising a meeting with Green Party Leader Natalie Bennett, at her request. This is
a direct result of representations made to Green candidates nationwide during the General
In September, Lembit will begin planning our activities for the Scottish, Welsh and Northern
Ireland elections. Early planning was a key lesson from the General Election.
Northern Ireland issues
A Northern Ireland Road Safety committee is threatening to introduce mandatory protective
clothing and other changes. This is serious because it could percolate into the rest of the UK.
Lembit is identifying the true nature of the threat and what to do about it.
Licence testing regime
Lembit written a position document regarding our ideal licence testing regime. Lembit and
Leon are working on this together, and a full update will be available for the next NC meeting in
Many of Lembit’s visits are reported in The Road. The visits are being maintained at just about
a sustainable level. All requests through Julie please.
Leon Mannings: Priorities
Physical Segregation Schemes aka Armadillos, Orcas etc.
Leon has engaged directly with a broad range of senior policy shapers to highlight critical
problems arising from plans to build physical segregation schemes. Areas of engagement
include Greater Manchester, TfL, Kingston, Enfield, Waltham Forest, Islington and the DfT via
the New Road s Minister. He has also been supporting effective challenges at local level led by
Stevie B in Manchester and former MAG member Jon Strong in Kingston.
A recent meeting in Salford with Roger Jones (pivotal figure in Greater Manchester's policy
world) has brought the pitfalls of segregation to the top and significantly increased awareness
of the benefits of bikes in bus lanes at that level. That meeting also led to a request for Leon to
summarise our points and concerns and a promise from Roger to circulate it amongst the most
influential policy shapers.
Meanwhile, the head of Transport for Westminster City Council is raising our concerns in TfL –
and has the UK Road Network Board which he happens to Chair.
Consolidating Bikes in Bus Lanes policy
The prospects of MAG getting a bikes in bus lanes policy adopted throughout the Greater
Manchester region has been significantly boosted by the meeting with Roger Jones that was set
up by Stevie B (Political Rep for Huddersfield). The same is true for the towns and Cities covered
by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) following a meeting set up by Manny
(political rep for Leeds) that Leon attended in Leeds.
The most recent development on the Greater Manchester front is a lengthy conversation Leon
had with Simon D'Vali who is the lead officer for safety in the region (as well as being a fellow
member of PACTs and Chair of significant bodies). His initial resistance to the bikes in bus lane
concept was changed to the point where he is scheduling a trip to London for a one-to-one
session with Leon, basically to identify enough evidence to enable him to recommend a trial
scheme throughout the Manchester region.
Supporting regional engagement with key policy shapers
Leon's recent engagements in West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester have set useful
benchmarks for an effective approach to delivering professional support for highly effective
action being delivered by regional volunteers. Initial conversations with Julie suggest that this
use of our human resources may be worth developing further.
DfT; Regaining influence at top level
Leon has begun this process by continuing his excellent relationship with Steve Gooding, the
former Director General of the DfT for Roads and new Director of the RAC Foundation, and has a
meeting set to explore ways to establish direct contact with the new DG at the DfT.
Meanwhile, Leon’s eventually successful attempt to have a brief pre-recess meeting with the
New Roads Minister re Armadillos revealed that Steve Baker MP, Chair of the All Party
Motorcycle Group, has been persuaded that all contact from MAG with its members should be
via Craig CC of the MCIA. Nevertheless, and although L&L are disappointed by this development,
we do not expect it to have any significant impact on our capacity to engage MPs with our
issues and concerns.
Developing blueprint documents for regional action and campaigns
A good example of this work arose from MAG's response to the initial failure of the WYCA to
include any mention of motorcycling in its '20 Year Vision for Transport' Document. Subsequent
engagement at local level led to meetings in which a bullet point list of issues was created for
consideration to remedy the oversight. This led Leon to compress these down into a five point
list of policy areas in which motorcycling needs particular consideration and supportive action.
Another example of this is a MAG Policy Note which is actually just a one page list of risks
arising from the introduction of new trip hazards to roads. (Please see attached documents)
Developing influential relationships with key figures in policy and industry
Leon has a couple of key challenges on this front as two very good and highly influential
contacts for us have just moved on from their pervious posts, namely Steve Gooding from the
DfT and Sir Peter Hendy from TfL.
Significant progress has however been made in the form of new relationships beginning with
Roger Jones and Simon D'Vali.
- NC attendance record 2015 4 August
- 201508 NC Minutes with reports
- L&L Report to Board & NC 30.07.15