National Committee Attendance Sheet
National Committee Meeting
First Name Initials
Minute Taker / National Reps Liaison
North West Rep / Director TMAGL
South East Rep
Vice Chair / Eastern Rep
North Wales Rep (Acting)
Chair / East Anglia Rep / Director Nice
Employer Ltd / Director TMAGL
National Membership Coordinator
Thames Valley Rep
West Midlands Rep
East Midlands Rep
Campaigns & Policy Advisor
Herts / Essex Rep (Acting)
Director TMAGL / Director Nice
President / Editor “The Road”
Director Comms & Public Affairs
Southern Rep / Director NEL
South West Rep
Western Region Rep
Clubs Liaison Officer / Yorkshire Rep
North East Rep
South Wales Rep
Scotland Rep / Director TMAGL
Chauffeur for NRLO/Observer
Deputy for Eddie Lowe
Motorcycle Action Group: National Committee Meeting
Date: December 12, 2015 Time 12.00 pm Venue: Wren Hall, CV35 7NF
1. Introduction and Register of Interests
SL thanked all for attending and dealt with housekeeping issues. All attendees introduced themselves.
2. Apologies for absence:
Recorded on attached attendance sheet.
3. Appointments and resignations:
Paul Turner has resigned as Director of MAG Foundation.
Tim Peregrine, Oliver Rose and Dave Hammond all returned to post at recent AGMs.
4. Adoption of NC agenda:
Adopted without revisions.
5. Ratification of previous NC Minutes:
Not all had read the draft Minutes posted in Dropbox. SL to send reminder and e-vote request.
It was noted that following an e-vote, NFL will chair AGC 2016.
6. Matters arising from previous NC Minutes:
The Action Points from October NC meeting were circulated, checked, and outstanding items rolled over
onto the December Action Points.
AC advised that he will be attending a course on CDM regulations next year and will raise the matter of
“designing out danger”.
LM noted that for some, the highway is their place of work (e.g. couriers) and that it may be worth
investigating in relation to Health & Safety.
TC explained that as the I.T. upgrades progress, some websites (branch, regional) may fall by the wayside
or become redundant. He will liaise with Andy Meredith regarding this and advise via the NC email list.
TC also mentioned “live links” for advertisers in the electronic version of The Road and it was agreed that a
picture of the current situation was needed.
LÖ reported that the NEC show had gone well, that work wil progress with the “Get On” scheme to
encourage young people into motorcycling and that he has attended a Crime Reduction event.
AB noted that the current Forth Bridge closure (for repairs) is an opportunity to advertise what MAG
achieved in respect to the second bridge. SW will contact local members regarding the effects and request
a letter-writing campaign.
LÖ noted that newspapers and radio stations are always looking for letters or callers and then ran through
(IM joins the meeting)
LM ran through his priorities.
LÖ is liaising with Andrew Turner regarding the IoW potential experimental helmet law repeal.
Regarding the Justice Campaign, Brian Jones has explained the Sentencing Guidelines and it appears that
they are not the issue, but it complicates the campaign as it may mean that jury decisions may be being
influenced by coroners or judges.
The Northern Ireland helmet debate is on hold and unlikely to be revisited prior to the May 2016 Elections.
Due to the fact there will almost certainly be personnel changes, it may even disappear altogether.
LM reported on successful meetings in Wales with Local Government bodies and the County Surveyors
Society. He gave a presentation regarding bus lanes and physical segregation, which was met with
understanding and a positive response by way of submitting formal recommendations. LM further noted that
the CSC has never had a recommendation not acted upon.
Colin Brown has been working on contacting authorities in the West Midlands and LM has attended a
PACTS meeting. There are now positives in relation to motorcycling being on the Agenda in respect to
Local Transport Plans.
A leading elected member in Manchester is now on side regarding motorcycles accessing bus lanes and
work regarding armadillos is still a work in progress. It was noted that if changes are being made to roads
(and use of segregation constitutes a change) a Stage 2 Road Safety Audit should be completed but is not
Bicycle schemes abound in London with leading TfL personnel pushing them through and this is resulting in
traffic jams, even at 3.00 am on the Embankment.
LM also noted that the Canary Wharf Group have a commercial interest in good traffic flow.
The Licenced Taxi Drivers Association will be attending a Judicial Review in January 2016 to state that the
2004 Transport Act has been contravened. LM said that the 1984 act is more powerful as it states that
movement of traffic should be “convenient, expeditious and safe”.
LÖ said that when Loughborough Road was closed to traffic, chaos quickly ensued. MAG is now involved.
AB enquired regarding cycle highway statistics. These vary depending on who has carried out the survey.
LM reported that Lily Matson (Head of Strategy & Planning for TfL) has said as a matter of public record that
the narrowing of roads is a “positive strategy” to prevent motorcycles from filtering in London. IM noted that
there may be an opportunity to ingratiate ourselves with courier companies.
SL said that a letter-writing campaign is being organised under the strapline LondOn2Wheels and that a
logo, banners, Facebook page, twitter feed and wiki page are all in the pipeline.
LÖ observed that this will be a “heavy duty” fight as Sustrans is a huge organisation and gets a 10%
kickback on all schemes that they themselves approve.
Following a scooter accident involving armadillos a test case is being brought to Dagenham Council with a
formal complaint that LM has followed up with a local MP. This particular problem is under-reported and
further work is required.
Looking to The Foundation following Paul Turner’s resignation, LM requested that it is kept going as it will
become an increasingly significant tool in our armoury.
IW wondered if there would be a chance for the scooterist to hold the individual responsible for the
segregation decision responsible for the accident. AB said he thought that there is some protection from
this type of prosecution and LM observed that very few have ever been prosecuted under corporate
SL reported that she has been invited to meet with TfL following a letter on the back of the London Evening
8. Board meeting report:
A redacted copy of Julie’s report was circulated to the NC list.
Reviews, salaries, etc discussed.
Central Office has moved to new premises and it was noted that a good job had been done by Julie in the
face of external problems.
There are no outstanding Health & Safety issues.
Financially the accounts will show a deficit following the recommendation from the liquidators to write off an
81K debt following the tribunal.
Draft accounts for TMAGL, NEL and the Foundation have “coincident interests” and therefore a donation to
the Foundation is actually better than shown on the invoice.
TC reported that new hardware is being hosted in Cardiff and consists of one physical server and several
virtual ones. When all work has been completed, the server in the office will be taken down, refreshed and
then used as a backup.
FEMA is “highly solvent”, with the Riderscan project completed and a Communications Officer being sought.
SL writes a regular column for BSH and potential advertisers have been identified.
L&L priorities will continue to be guided by NC.
A suggestion to encourage new and younger members is to be explored.
Membership rates need to be publicised.
An approach has been made by a motorcycle tour company in Spain in respect to member discounts.
OR is looking to revisit the affiliated clubs package.
SL noted that membership rates for learner riders needs to be packaged and promoted. There will be a 4 –
8 page focus on Learner riders in the March/April issue of The Road.
An industry-led scheme (GetOn) offers an introduction to bikes with a “try before you by” CBT-related
experience on offer. Information regarding this scheme will be available at AGC.
MAG is exploring a bi-monthly draw for the opportunity for a new membership to win a second year’s
membership. Corporate goody bags will hopefully be available, including an offer of tickets to some of
MAG’s events. There could also potentially be an end-of-year draw available to all learner members for a
pair of tickets to the NEC. Following a question regarding whether the draw would be open to learners only
or under-25’s, it was decided to go with “under 25’s” as this will be easier to work with as date-of-birth is on
LÖ suggested a short session at AGC in respect to recruitment.
(LM leaves the meeting)
DW noted that there is a need to make all feel valued.
9. FEMA report:
Covered under item 8, Board meeting report. Information has been circulated via the NC email list.
10. Additions to emailed reports:
British Independent Islands – vacant
Cumbria Report from Michael Armstrong, Cumbria RR
Annual Charity Two Tins Run was held on the 22nd of November, article sent in for The Road.
Egremont Torchlight Parade on the 29th of November and normally we get a small donation for providing
Xmas Dinner on the 10th of December.
Attended The Mobile Chaos MCC Rally and got highest turn-out.
Furness Rock Night was a great success.
Xmas Party on the 12th of December.
Engaging with local scooter clubs/young riders. Finding out from NC on what incentives which we can offer
Sending a donation to Central from past events (Dead End Rally).
Furness AGM arranged for the 13th of Jan.
Regularly attend Whitehaven MAG meeting’s.
Send NC emails to Furness/Whitehaven MAG.
Attended the Two Tins Run and I organised Sue Hayman MP to ride on the back of my bike. This gave us a
bigger write up in the local papers and building a stronger working relationship with a Local MP.
East Anglia Report from Selina Lavender, East Anglia RR & Chair
You'll see what I've been up to in the Chair report.
West Norfolk MAG have had their AGM and Pete has been returned as Local Rep.
Bury St Edmunds (BSE) MAG are taking enquiries for their rally in January.
Members from both groups attended Duxford on Remembrance Sunday and sent volunteers to work at the
Both groups have started looking at which events they might attend in 2016. BSE will repeat their bike show
Meetings are not very well attended but Facebook is proving to be a useful link for both groups.
Haverhill MAG continue to have monthly meets and are looking to raise their profile in 2016.
Some membership chasing has taken place by email.
East Midlands – vacant
Eastern Report from Dave Hammond, Eastern RR & Vice Chair
Holding Regional Meetings
Regional AGM (voted back in as Rep) with an increased committee
Booked Regional stand into local show for next year (St Ives Festival of Motorcycling)
Updating Regional FB Groups
checking out rumours about Cambridge wanting to bring in ‘Congestion Charges’
Supporting local group
Greater London – vacant
Herts & Essex Jon Metcalfe
Lincolnshire Alex Bridgwood
As reported prior to the last NC meeting two events have been run by the Lincolnshire Entertainment Group
to raise funds and awareness of MAG in the region.
The first took place on the 25th October as an Off the rails with Fish event. Held at the Bardney Railway
Centre, Lincolnshire, this was a great first event by the group. Fish and chips were on offer followed by a
great local band called No Relevance who even waived their fee to donate it to MAG. A total of £255 was
raised which is a great start for the first year of an event taking place.
Following this event we had the Bikers Christmas Fayre on the 29th November, held again at the Bardney
Railway Centre. A number of stalls filled the hall and we had a steady flow of people throughout the day
despite the bad weather. Another great event by the group and one which will hopefully grow as time goes
on. Around £100 was raised.
Lincolnshire Region Rep
North East Report from Dave Wigham, North East RR
Very short one at this time of year.
Darlington and Durham continue to tick over the main issue at the moment being the Newcastle Orcas and
we are currently in a letter writing marathon with Newcastle City Council re the potential fitment of even
more Orcas to other city schemes.
Volunteers at Durham are looking into travelling further afield with the NE MAG stall next year to to the
issues locally. They have invites to some non-MAG events in Cumbria and are looking into attending some
Scots events with Steve Wykes. More to follow in the spring.
Sales of the Blue prostate badges have slowed down with the winter but there’s a ¼ page add in this Road
and sales will pick up again with the new rally season.
Gordon the Dep Reg Rep is having considerable success with his road reporting scheme and has appeared
in Road under the name ‘Road Ferret’
Blyth group have gone into suspension until after Christmas. The group was mostly made up of club
members from other clubs that used the name Blyth MAG to run events that used the MAG PLI. But did not
raise any funds or support MAG and contained a number of members that were actually anti MAG. Being
told they would no longer be given access to the MAG PLI unless they raised the funds to cover the costs,
plus seemingly insurmountable internal wrangles led to the suspension. There are genuine MAG members
that have shown an interest in re-starting meetings so this will be looked into after the Christmas break.
North Wales Report from Bill Hughes, Acting Rep
North West Report from Tony Cox, North West RR & TMAGL Director
9th -11th October Mobile Chaos Rally Silverdale
Kev Hyde, the Morecambe MAG rep took the MAG stand to this event and I went to assist. Good Rally and
lots of positive feedback.
12th October MAG NC Meeting, Wren Hall
Steve Blay from Salford MAG attended this meeting in my absence, minutes will be available via the main
7th November:- Taliesin Auto jumble, Rixton
MAG were invited to attend this event via the Salford group so took the stand down and ran it with Steve
Blay. Picked up a new member and some good discussions where had with the various clubs in attendance.
7th November:- Blackpool MAG Fancy Dress & Bonfire Party
I got back in time from Rixton to help out with the running of this event. Went very well and made a good
profit for the fighting fund.
21st November:- Salford MAG AGM, Duke of York, Eccles
I attended this meeting as observer. Steve Blay returned as local rep and political officer, David (Floyd)
Stevens as Chairman, Elaine Blay as Treasurer/Secretary. I am a bit concerned that local club politics
seems to be keeping volunteers from supporting this group as many of the officers who were involved with
the group have stood down for personnel reasons. I am hoping that this can be resolved and normal service
25th November:- North West Alliance meeting, Petre Arms, Lango.
It was an excellent turnout. The main discussion was around clash of events and clubs having to work
together and respect long standing dates in the calendar. Website based calendar now in use and is being
kept up to date.
4th December: - Salford MAG Fundraiser, Wangies Bar, Eccles.
I went along to support this event. It was great to see the level of support from local MCCs and MCs. Very
successful night with money being raised for MAG funds.
National IT Matters
I continue to be involved with the re-structure of our IT services and web-site upgrade Our dedicated
volunteers who are working on this have been coming under a lot of criticism of late due to matters which
was completely out of our control regarding the MAG Central server outage when we moved office premisis.
I expect this to be discussed at the weekend and will hopefully be able to answer any concerns over the
future integrity of our systems. I am also being kept busy with updates and fault rectification work on our
current site until our new site is available.
Local Group news activities
Salford MAG now have a dedicated contact at Salford Council who is to be the Motorcycle Liaison
between Salford MAG and the other Traffic & Road services. Leon Mannings attended a meeting alongside
Steve Blay from Salford MAG during the afternoon of the 25th November with key transport policy influencer
Cllr Roger Jones. Jones is prepared to go on record saying that he supports the idea of motorbike access to
all bus lanes in Greater Manchester. More details will be available in Dr Leon Mannings report to the NC.
Salford AMG are also planning a rally next year, for 8-11th July at Barton Airfield.
Members of Red Rose MAG are arranging their first Rock night for 20th February 2016. The group is doing
well since moving venues from where they will be hosting the 12th Fred Hill Run.
I continue to attend Blackpool MAG meetings and stand in as rep when needed. The group is doing well and
already planning for next year’s rally which wil be the 19th consecutive on the last weekend in June.
Liverpool MAG are planning a joint weekend event next year along with “Bikers for Neurology” on the
last weekend of July 2016. I will be helping out wherever possible with stalls, t-shirts patches etc…
Macclesfield MAG are looking at setting up their own web-site and so I have been trying to assist where
Wirral MAG and Morecambe MAG still having regular meetings, need to pay a visit when get chance.
Manchester MAG a bit quite at the moment as Jimmy T the rep is recovering from a major stroke. I have
been talking with other members from the group who are keeping things ticking over for now.
Northern Ireland – vacant
Scotland Report from Steve Wykes, Scotland RR & TMAGL Director
No written report, verbal update at meeting
South East – vacant
South Wales Report from Ian Williamson, South Wales RR
Leon Manning and Barrie Avery (Cardiff) met with the County Surveyors Society (CSS) in Llandrindod
Wells. The CSS advise Welsh Government on the use of, design, structure and composition of Highway and
associated matters. Leon and Barrie presented the Pathways document which was well received and the
focus was made on line delineators (Armadillos).
The CSS have recommended to the Welsh Government Minister that the use of the line delineators in
Wales is not approved.
Leon and Barrie also presented to the All Wales Motorcycle Safety Group, regarding bikes in bus lanes
and the group took on board the advice of MAG and are advising the Minister that bikes should be allowed
in bus lanes across Wales.
Both of the above are dependent on Ministerial approval but this is normally a formality.
Barrie is meeting with the Vale of Glamorgan Council regarding allowing bikes in bus lanes in VoG.
Cardiff Council are understood to have made the allowance of bikes in bus lanes permanent.
Simon Walsh one of the Cardiff MAG members who runs a training school was good enough to offer a
free “taster” on a motorcycle to a senior civil servant in the Welsh Government who is responsible for
motorcycling policy. The lady was challenged about her post as she had never even sat on a bike. Although
the lady was not convinced that bikes were for her, she was very grateful for the opportunity to try one out.
Cardiff went for a ride out into the Forest of Dean to raise money for MAG and a charity.
Aberystwyth continue slow and steady progress to gain members and along with Phil McFadden will be
manning the MAG stand at the Bike Show.
South West Report from Tim Poole, South West RR
There are still 5 active groups in the South West Region, Cornwall, North Devon, Mid Devon, Taunton and
Attended Southern Region AGM as NC Observer, (with Deb Rose).
All the groups have been busy with fundraising recently, I spent the first Sunday of the NEC show on the
stand with Selina, Pete, Sarah & Sally (Bristol MAG)
Grumpy from Taunton (a Magistrate) has met with Lembit regarding sentencing issues. Lembit gave a talk at
Taunton’s meeting that week.
TAUNTON MAG REPORT DECEMBER 2015
Presentation evening from a Somerset Road Safety Partnership motorcyclist. Very good presentation,
enjoyed by all attending.
We invited all the local bike clubs and groups, although only 2 non-members turned up on the night, 1 of
them did join MAG on the night.
Presentation evening from Lembit was also enjoyed by all attending. The event was supported by members
from Weston and North Somerset MAG.
We applied on MAG's behalf for a donation from the 'Hoggin the Bridge' run. We were invited to the
presentation event to receive a cheque for £500. The cheque has been sent to MAG central. Talking to the
organisers, they stated that they are always short of marshals to help on the run. I suggested making
contact before next year’s event, with the view that we may have some members available to help. The
event is always on the 3^rd Sunday in October. When the organisers publish the presentation photo's we
will send a report to Ian for the Road.
We were asked if we could help escort a biker on his last journey to Taunton Crematorium. This is the
second time this year we have been asked to help.
On Saturday we held our annual Christmas Pet Food Run to the local kennels that house's dogs and cats
waiting to be re-homed. As usual we invited all the local bike clubs and groups and we did manage to attract
a few non-members along on the day. Report has been sent to Ian for the Road.
Later that evening we held our Christmas Meal / Social Evening at the Maypole Inn. 22 people including
friends from Weston and North Somerset MAG attended.
Also, following a discussion with Lembit at his presentation evening, I promised to pay for Guy Martin's MAG
membership if Lembit could sign him up at the Bike Show.
Southern Report from Tim Peregrine, Southern RR & NEL Director
No written report, verbal update at meeting
Thames Valley Gareth Lewis, Thames Valley RR
Attendance numbers remain stable at all of our meetings with most discussions revolving around the
planning of the various events the region puts on or takes part in each year. T he political situation on our
bus lanes and so on remains pretty much the same.
Reading had a very well attended Christmas Party on 5th Dec with 40+ treated to a massive nosh up from
our Landlord at The Butler.
The region again provided marshals in various capacities for the Reading Toy run in aid of Barnardo's with
1500+ bikes and upwards of 2500 presents donated. A little birdy also spotted MCN in attendance so a write
up should be forthcoming, with a possible MAG support mention.
Other than that my time remains extremely limited for MAG business, if you want me and I don't respond to
an email please do text or call on 07785-538219. I t remains the case there is no other likely candidate for
RR so you're stuck with me holding the fort for the time being :o)
TV MAG Fred Hill Run has been set for 14th Feb next year.
Reading - Easter Bike Show - Sunday 27th March 2016
Wycombe - Dirty Donkey - 16th April 2016
Reading - Lion Rally - 10th to 12th June 2016
Wycombe - Chinnor Bike Dayz - 1st to 3rd July 2016
Warwickshire Roger Ford, Warwickshire RR
West Midlands Eddie Lowe, West Midlands RR
Things are moving along in the area, spoken to reps and members across the region and now looking at
the idea of running a MAG organised charity ride with a MAG fundraiser evening afterwards. Colin
continues his great work with local councils including a presentation to Worcester city council and
getting a commitment that MAG will be included on the list of consultees held within the planning
department. A meeting with the Wyre forest MP at which the MP voiced "positive" responses and an initial
meeting with Birmingham’s senior road safety officer. I have also received rather prompt replies from the
local councils re the worsening state of local roads especially manhole covers. As normal they state that
notifications have gone out to the utility companies responsible which we will follow up promoting "get a
I cannot attend the NC meeting so Colin will attend for the region so apologies from me but may i take this
chance to wish everyone all the very best for Christmas and a great 2016..
Western report Deb Rose, Western RR
Preparations well in hand for regional rally.
Regional meetings well attended and calendar remains busy.
Attended Southern Region AGM as NC observer Tim Peregrine returned as RR.
Attended branch AGM's at Weston, Bristol and Mid Wilts
Attended focus group in Bristol for the road sharing initiative organised by the mediation services. They are
gathering information and opinion for a large meeting planned for February 2016. Interesting meeting only
10 attendees 3 motorcyclists (myself, a Bristol MAG member and a riding instructor) and 7 cyclists (including
1 Sustrans representative).
Disappointingly, but not at all surprisingly… PTW's were not included on the information gathering forms we
were asked to complete!! ... They will be in the future. A lively discussion about difficulties faced, pre
conceptions, road furniture and physical segregation and just why motorcycles should be regarded as part
of the solution for environmental issues followed. The Sustrans man way critical, rude and obstructive
throughout and initially motorcyclists came in for a lot of criticism. However we remained calm, polite (yep
even me !!!!) and put forward our side of the debate rationally. End result ...Sustrans man looked like the
rude insufferable bore he is and we made allies of the other cyclists present!!! At the end of the meeting we
were all asked to say something we had learned from the meeting. All the cyclists bar one
(I'll let you guess which one !!!) said that they had learnt how difficult conditions can be for motorcyclists, that
motorcyclists were not as they thought they were and that they would view them differently in the future.
Small steps maybe ...but we change the world one person at a time!!
Socially all local groups have been enjoying xmas meals and spent an enjoyable evening at Taunton for a
talk given by Lembit and some amusing conversation with Mr. Mutch on his errant wallet!! It was an
enjoyable evening and lovely to catch up with our friends from Taunton!!!
Yorkshire Report from Oliver Rose
Held AGM in October - seems like ages ago now. Outgoing committee members were thanked, and new
ones are getting up to speed. Due mostly to a very successful Spat out of Hull rally, the region should be
able to supply a substantial donation for 2015-16.
Attended Eastern Region AGM as NC observer, and ensured all was well there.
The office move and subsequent e-mail outage was a major issue for me while this was going on. Sent
some alternatives to the TMAGL board to consider, which should prevent such an outage from happening
The discussion with the WYCA is still ongoing in terms of the county, but specific councils within the region
appear to be falling in line with our desires. Huddersfield and Bradford should be rolling out a more friendly
parking plan for motorcycles off the back of the work done by local reps.
The amusingly named Sausage night for Huddersfield also appears to have been a success, further
validating Mr M’s micro-fundraising concept.
The next issue in South Yorkshire will be an interesting one. As people will be aware, Rotherham Council is
in a weird place following the Jay report, and so it isn’t clear who would be responsible for certain things.
That hasn’t yet been a problem for us, because there was already a pre-existing transport plan in place, but
this is now due for renewal. It’l come as no surprise that again, the needs of powered two-wheelers have
been ignored, so that will probably be my task over the winter on a branch level. Lembit has chipped in with
a letter to help out, which should have the desired effect.
SW attended the second meeting of the Scottish Road Safety Framework and managed to obtain some
rewording of policy to include a sentence about motorcycles being considered under all the categories
that are targeted (i.e. vulnerable, age-related, speeding, motorcyclists).
IW reported that sellers of Armadillos are being disingenuous regarding trials that have taken place. He
also reported that he is involved with an Innovations Committee that awards grants for work relating to
motorcycle safety initiatives.
CB is contacting relevant bodies regarding manhole covers and stronger guidelines in respect to the
responsibilities of utility companies.
OR stated that S. Yorks councillors are to be contacted again.
SL attended a MAP meeting and noted that it is good to have a national skills database.
AB reported that he won’t be attending the February NC meeting or Lincolnshire Region AGM in March.
AB and DH to discuss whether it is possible to have a post within a political organisation when serving in
the armed forces.
TP reported that bike parking charges have been stopped; that Hampshire Road Safety acknowledge,
following complaints from local residents, that problems are generated by a few individuals rather than
there being a major problem; and that Salisbury Bike Show has built successfully over the years to a city
centre venue. Issues around safety, etc are being addressed and local organisations such as Chamber
of Commerce are now engaged with helping out in financial and practical terms.
Chair and Vice-Chair
I continue to spend a lot of time on all things MAG, the main focus since the last NC has been Motorcycle
In addition these past two months you will see I've managed to get a few of the documents out I was
working on. As well as visits and articles I have chased lapsed members, found two volunteers to co-
ordinate the Fred Hill London run, there's a new sticker to show you all, I've written an AGC
announcement for The ROAD (which can be used as a template for future AGCs) and for the NEC;
planned the stand, scheduled the volunteers, set it up, attended every day and taken the stand down.
The NEC was a good event for us with a reasonable amount of interest, some visitors to the stand said
that they had been meaning to join for some time and other visitors came to say thanks for all the hard
work you all put in.
I remain in regular contact with Julie, Carol, Lembit and Leon. Dave and Jane continue to be very
Diary from October / November 2015
3/4th Copdock Show
7th West Norfolk MAG
8th Skype Board meeting
9th Peterborough MAG meeting
10th NC meeting, article to BSH
14th Haverhill MAG meeting
16/17/18 Yorkshire: meeting with MAP Directors, MAP AGM & Yorkshire MAG AGM (as NC observer)
8th Remembrance ride to Duxford
18th West Norfolk AGM
27/11 - 7/12 In Coventry for Motorcycle Live 2015 at The NEC Birmingham
SL reported that the NEC show was well attended with people understanding the importance of issues
that MAG is looking at and taking information; that her latest BSH column was dedicated to Fred Hill; and
that she is aware of outstanding jobs to be completed.
Vice Chair report Dec 2015
Collating regional reports for NC minutes
Telephone calls with chair
Attended CBT roadshow with chair
Updating National FB page
DH reported no additions.
iii. Finance Officer
This is a brief report detailing any significant data which will allow you to see how we are financially for
The Motorcycle Action Group Limited up to end of October 2015. All year-end figures have now been
audited and minor adjustments have been made a draft copy of the accounts are with the Board for
After my discussion with the Liquidators of MAG (UK) and their recommendation of writing off the £81K
bad debt, this has now been included in 2014/15 accounts. This also affects VAT and should be able to
reclaim a large proportion of previously paid Sales VAT. Should any funds be received they will be
accounted for on a proportionate basis and VAT paid as necessary.
The office move plan had higher implications than first thought due to the internet and phone lines this
was the only part of the move that wasn’t in our control. I can assure you that all measures were used to
keep the effects to a minimum to the outside world. The office downtime equated to almost three weeks,
the emails were down for just over one week and the website was not affected at all.
The below graph shows that memberships by month have still decreased but generally follow the pattern
of previous years. We are still encountering problems with the Standing Order payers not transferring to
Direct Debits, the initial excellent response has been short lived and we need an extra push to try and
address this situation. We currently have just over 1670 direct debits set up and we are still receiving
mandates on a daily basis. Please note the graph includes some November transactions so these are
not the final figures for the month.
To help understand the figures and their effects to our total numbers of membership please see the
following chart showing each cumulative year by month. Please note that all membership figures are
new/renewed memberships and exclude Life memberships and voting memberships of affiliated clubs or
Cash balances as at today 07.12.15 or where indicated.
iv. National Clubs Officer
National Clubs Liaison Officer Report December 2015
Pretty quiet for me this period again - the only thing of note has been to get the pricing changes for clubs
back onto the agenda for the board.
Apart from that, I’m working on getting two regional clubs officers up to speed in Eastern and Yorkshire
No additions. SL advised that the TRF may currently be more amenable to affiliating that previously.
National Reps’ Liaison Officer
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer’s Report
Code of Conduct now drafted (awaiting approval) that can ultimately be rolled out nationally for Reps and
Officers at all levels.
Continue to work on building a procedure manual for hosting AGC, by developing thorough notes
provided by Sarah from Taunton MAG.
Continue to support Regional Reps with welcomes and provision of information.
Continue to support Chair/Vice Chair with admin tasks.
Work on Version 2 of Reps’ Handbook, which will include more information and guidance in respect to
matters I.T. related.
Develop an induction process for new officers. Hopefully this will be moving up the priorities list going
forward in 2016.
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer
vi. Executive Officer
Nice Employer Ltd and The Motorcycle Action Group Limited Report
Julie Sperling Executive Officer.
Offices – As you’l be aware the preparation for the actual move started immediately upon the notice to
quit was received back in June of this year. This was when our agreement to reduce the office space
leased was reduced almost by half. We had a number of issues to resolve to reduce the impact of the
actual move. Ultimately two options of new premises were found which were in an acceptable price
bracket. Both had pros and cons but the offices at Holly Farm Business Park were agreed upon and the
motions were started in August to begin to sort the telephones, broadband, PO Box and postal re-direct.
An agreement for the phones and one of the broadband service providers was BT. The arrangements were
set up to include the actual move and changeover date being 30th October. The theory behind a move
immediately to this system was to ensure that the move of the MAG telephone numbers from the landlord to
our ownership before we actually moved premises and we did not have a choice as BT were the only provider
which could do this. It was due to be activated in September, Fibre was installed set up and running but there
were issues with the move of ownership of the telephone numbers. I was promised a date early in October,
which came and went I chased this as often as possible and the move date had arrived and we still had not
been transferred. In between this I contacted the Account Manager (on my return from annual leave and
double checking arrangements) who stated that the move had not been booked which I quickly remedied on
16th October giving two weeks’ notice. The earliest that an appointment that could be organised was 5th
November and I was forced to agree to this.
The network within the new office was not suitable for our needs and the Comms Unit needed moving this was
arranged and completed in the week prior to move.
The Demon broadband line I had contacted prior to my leave and they stated they needed ten working days’
notice so contacted them to make the actual arrangements again on my first day back and was given either
28th or 29th October and this would be confirmed in an email. I received a confirmed order email.
The post re-direct was arranged the following week, where we opted for one year to be re-directed.
The collection of our outgoing mail was arranged and confirmed in writing.
The PO Box address I found that this could not be used and another would have to be issued and therefore
changing the address. I looked into this and suggested to the Board that as we now state our registered
address as the office address (and not a home address as it had previously been some years ago) this is an
expense that we could do without. A decision was made to renew the Warwick PO Box address for 6 months
in December and the postal re-direct would automatically transfer this for the 6 months (which allows the run
out of leaflets, letterheads and such). We can at any point in the future get a new PO Box address license if it
is felt necessary.
I made arrangements for the servers and our PC’s to be moved on 30th October as at least the Demon line
would be up and running at the new offices.
I did not receive a notification from Demon stating a date so I rang them to see when the changeover would
happen they eventually came back to me stating 16th November. This was not acceptable obviously as this
caused an interruption to our service. I made arrangements with the landlord that the servers were able to stay
on site until the broadband was viable at the new offices which at worst would be until 5th November when BT
had confirmed the new line. Then it should only be a maximum of half a day for the servers to be off and
affecting the MAG emails.
I managed to get Demon to move our date to Monday 2nd November for the install.
Carol and I moved the office between us. I made arrangements with the landlord regarding their furniture, as
they had no need for most of it and had a lot stored and as this would cost them to keep it, so they allowed us
to take what we needed and anything else that was stored - free of charge. I hired a van for one afternoon so
the large items of furniture could be moved. On Friday 30th October we made the move accept the servers.
The photocopier was the only item that we had to get moved professionally (by the supplier of).
Demon line was installed on 2nd November, the phone line itself worked immediately, the replacement router
had not arrived (this was to be set up for use upon receipt). This phone line was not on the network as this
was a broadband only service requirement.
BT installed their line and broadband on 5th November all appeared to work.
Servers moved on 6th November and the start of the setup of the BT router. I could access via the router Wi-Fi
but the router would not allow the server access.
Over the following weeks calls were made every day, sometimes twice a day to speak to BT technical team
about the setup of the router, settings were changed but still no access via the server. This was a very
stressful time as I am not qualified in any way to do the setup nor did I understand what or how I was trying to
do this. I was communicating with Andrew Meredith regarding the needs of the server and how he required it
to be setup. Eventually I went through every setting and found that the main issue was an additional setting
called BT Wi-Fi (this gives access to other BT customers) once I switched this off I was able to get the router to
talk to the server. All came back online, slow but online.
The Demon router had still not activated again I was speaking to Demon on a daily basis it was agreed that an
engineer would visit but this would be a whole week before one could visit, this was not acceptable I then
spoke to a department manager who was able to bring the appointment forward by two days. After the visit a
broadband light came on to the router but no internet. The engineer thought that it may need re-booting at
Demon and allow for the overnight for this to happen. The next day we were still in the same position so again
I asked for an onsite visit again it would be a week. I could not get this date changed so a week later an
engineer visited he found that the line had been connected to another users line this was corrected and the line
is now fully functional. I have made a formal complaint where they offered one month’s line rental free of
charge, I thought that this was not acceptable and now they are offering two as a gesture of goodwill or the
complaint would be sent to the ombudsman, as time is limited I feel it is the best solution to accept this offer.
I am aware that both of our broadband lines are slow compared to Oakslade, as soon as BT have completed
the fibre upgrades to the exchange we will be moved over so we will be back up to a more acceptable level of
Audit – I had a meeting with the Auditor Jane who has gone through a few minor amendments within the
accounts and now after the recommendation of the Liquidator written off the MAG (UK) outstanding
balance (where Sales VAT has been previously paid we will be able to reclaim a large proportion), so
should any funds be received in the future we will account for it at that point. Copies of the accounts will
be forwarded separately.
IT – The theory almost worked, the MAG website is now held on a server in Cardiff, whilst we moved
there was no interruption to this service due to this. However as most will be aware the MAG emails did
not do so well, this is a one off in realistic terms and once the ‘virtual servers’ are fully set up this
occurrence wil be avoided should we ever have to move again (and hopefully not while I’m working for
MAG!). The new website is slowly being developed Tony may have more news regarding this as I have
had to concentrate on getting our systems live.
MAG (UK) – Advised to the Auditor the Liquidator recommendations and adjustments have been made.
Staff – LO to update from my previous points are still work in progress and I am trying to find a better
way of managing some issues. His report as attached was completed prior to the madness of Motorcycle
Live. A plan has been devised regarding attendance at Motorcycle Live so not to over burden Lembit as
we have to be aware of our responsibilities as an employer. Staff appraisals will be completed in January
and reported upon thereafter.
Sub-Contractors contracts – LM has not stopped, with developments happening almost on a daily basis.
Leon has also been out and about to Wales, Manchester to name but a few and as LO these will be
reported upon in more detail at the NC meeting. The engagement with our members is going very well I
get positive comments from all quarters and the message is getting through at a higher level as well –
some not all positive but waves are being made so not unexpected. The Board need to discuss how we
need to move forward regarding Leon’s contract and the extension to that contract engaging him full time,
the review date set to be this meeting. The email issue really hit IM and with keeping the server at the
old office for an extra week limited his downtime unlike the office where we were down for almost three
weeks, otherwise no further updates to be reported at this time. Contractors appraisals will be completed
alongside the office staff.
My role – No real change to the amount of work at present but have caught up with the downtime of the
office systems and hope that with the move a line has been drawn and I can start to concentrate on the
business of MAG and how we move forward. I am preparing to start going through all of our policies and
update where necessary for approval. This can be done via email/email discussion or be brought to each
Board meeting or combination of both systems. I have had my appraisal with Selina and Tim – I think it
went wel but I’m sure the NEL Directors will advise accordingly.
Bank Accounts – JM not responded to the request as MAG Media signatory. Paul Turner’s resignation
has some implications and are being acted upon.
Report circulated. SL noted that membership figures are declining and that this would be covered under
Report to NC and Board on key areas of work by Policy and Campaigns Unit
Latest version: 24rd November 2015
Lembit & Leon
Here’s a round-up of main activities over the last two months by L&L for your consideration.
Leon & Lembit work on key priorities that are set by NC. Our work is managed and monitored on a day
to day basis by Julie and Selina.
Lembit’s key priorities are:
Isle of Wight helmet experiment
Northern Ireland issues
Licence testing regime
Physical cycles segregation schemes
Bikes in Bus Lanes
Regional engagement with key policy shapers
Build influence at DfT and TfL
Developing blueprint documents for regional action/campaigns
Promote MAG's ‘Five Pathways for Progress’
Develop MAG's influence with key policy shaping professionals and elected members
Lembit Opik: Priorities
The entire Justice Campaign required breaking down into smaller parts. The key elements have now
been identified. They are:
a) The Sentencing Guidelines.
b) The operation of magistrate courts.
c) The operation of higher courts.
d) Potential prejudices in the system at each tier of the legal system.
Lembit has now made very significant progress in regard to the sentencing guidelines and also in
regard to the operation of magistrate courts. This has been achieved by analysis of the Sentencing
Guidelines, with particular assistance through expert clarification on the operation of magistrates and
where they come from – as well as how they are trained and how quality standards are applied. This
has bene achieved through the on-going assistance of Rod Mitchell (Scotland Law) and Brian Jones,
who – as well as being a MAG member – is also a magistrate. His help has been invaluable and many
thanks to South West Sarah for setting this up for us.
The key conclusions are as follows:
i) The Sentencing Guidelines do not appear to contain undue bias. They are comprehensive (over 300 pages),
logically laid out and fairly easy to understand. They are available on-line – ask Lembit and he’l send you
ii) Magistrates experience intensive training, and the Chairmen of magistrates panels are subject to extra training
on top of this.
iii) Magistrates operate as panels of three, and it would seem unlikely – though not impossible - that the entire
team is prejudices against motorcyclists.
The findings are covered in considerable detail in the forthcoming edition of The Road.
Lembit also attended an inquest into the death of Greg Taylor in Torquay. Together with MAG’s
representative Doug Smith, we assessed the process and also the fairness of the outcome from the
system. While the inquest ruled that the death of Greg Taylor was an accident, questions remain, and
the mother of the deceased is evidently dissatisfied with the verdict. MAG also feels there are
unresolved issues and apparent contradictions in the case as a whole.
Our conclusion regarding the Justice Campaign at this point is that the fault does not lie in the
sentencing guidelines. The training of magistrates also seems robust. If there is prejudice it lies in the
application of the guidelines and potential flaws in the personal opinions of legal professionals towards
riders. This is the next element the inquiry will now explore whether such prejudice does exist in how
the legal processes apply the apparently objective guidelines.
Members continue to deliver establish contacts in the Parliamentary world. We have developed a
spreadsheet to track the MPs in a simple and consistent manner. Two party leaders and one deputy
leader are now members as well as other senior members. Michael Armstrong has taken his local MP
on a bike run and this sort of engagement is by far the most valuable. Lembit has also attended a
Select Committee on enforcement of traffic laws, which focussed on cycling.
The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland elections are now a key priority for the run up to May 2016.
Northern Ireland issues
Discussions are pending regarding the trike helmet law threat in Northern Ireland. We have been
assisted by the problems facing the Northern Ireland Assembly. However, at time of writing the
problem remains unresolved and Lembit is seeking clarification about next steps from them concerning
There is the prospect of taking this up the line to the European Court of Human Rights – and in that
circumstance the entire helmet law regime could be re-opened.
Lembit has explored options form around the world, particularly America. There are viable alternatives
to the ludicrously complicated system in the UK. A report will be tabled for NC for consideration. This
will then feed into a public consultation which has been announced and which provide a platform for us
to make an input in a formal way.
Achieving change may not be easy. However, the current system probably dissuades citizens from
choosing powered two wheelers as a transport option. While sales of motorcycles are up around 11%
year on year, the figure could be even higher with fewer barriers to gaining a motorcycle licence in the
Lembit has visited the South West, to meet the magistrate and while there addressed a local group in
the evening. The key focus at this time of year is the NEC, and he is scheduled to spend more time
there than in 2014. It is a valuable place to meet members, industry representatives and potential allies
of MAG. Lembit has also spent a lot of time in the Loughborough Road area of London assisting with
opposing a poor road closures scheme which has prevented PTWs from using important thoroughfares.
The campaign has been successful. Details in The Road.
Leon Mannings: Priorities
Physical Segregation Cycle Schemes.
Leon has made progress with this issue, but the fight to stop the spread of these hazards is a very long
way from being won and this has lead to a considerable increase in workload. Our chances of success
have been boosted by contact from a scooterist who is the first victim we've heard from of a crash
caused by Armadillos. This rider happens to be the insurance agent for Devitts who runs their BMW
account so Leon has been developing contact with him – and will be meeting him on the Friday evening
before the NEC bike show. The incident was in Dagenham and Leon has encouraged the local MP, Jon
Cruddas, to raise our concerns with the council leader.
Our email survey of segregation schemes proposed at last NC and actioned by Selina revealed at least
15 locations in the UK where trials of 'Armadillos', 'Orcas' or 'Tomb Stones' have been introduced or are
about to be. Key locations include Salford which is leading Greater Manchester’s plans to spend some
of its £20m 'cycling city' grant on segregation schemes across the region. Leon has already raised our
concerns about this along with local reps Manny and Blayz with the lead officer and Councillor Roger
Jones who has more influence than most over transport policy for Greater Manchester. One productive
meeting with him occurred in the summer to raise awareness of our concerns about segregation
schemes and our 5 Pathways for Progress and the next meeting with Leon in Manchester is
Wednesday 25th November.
Bikes in Bus Lanes
Further progress has been made regarding bikes in bus lanes (and a reluctance to support Armadillo
schemes) as an overarching policy for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA). Leon has
developed an increasingly convivial relationship with the lead officer for the WYCA policy development
team – and local MAG activists led by Stevie B are doing the same.
In Wales, Ian Williamson and Barrie Avery have capitalised on Leon's presentation to the Surveyor's
Society. They have secured a slot for Leon to make a presentation about the benefits of bikes in bus
lanes to the National Steering Group for Motorcycle Safety on Thursday 27th November.
Regional engagement with key policy shapers
By following up a contact made with David Harris, the Transport Policy Manager for Birmingham and
the West Midlands during a meeting of PACTs, Leon has increased MAG's influence with key policy
shapers in the Midlands. Progress on this front has also been significantly enhanced by the diligent
work of new Midlands rep Colin Brown. A productive partnership began when Leon helped Colin refine
his excellent responses to a draft for Road Safety Strategy in the region that was out for consultation.
Motorcycling was at least considered but not as much as it should be. Colin had meetings with officers
in various Midlands councils – and Leon reinforced MAG's impact in a highly productive meeting with
David Harris and colleagues in his safety team – and one was a long standing officer and biker.
This combination of input by MAG has massively increased awareness and interest in the positive role
of motorcycling in the region and at the mot senior level of policy shaping professionals. And, there is
now a good likelihood of this being reflected in the final version of the Road Safety Strategy.
Tireless work by Steve Wykes regarding policy for Edinburgh has led to an invite for Leon to make a
presentation of MAG's Pathways or Progress in the new Year.
Build influence at DfT and TfL
The DfT have not yet appointed a successor to Steve Gooding who was the Director General for Roads
and Leon's best contact in the department – so work at that level is on hold. Relations with mid ranking
DfT officers are developing well – and MAG is being given the heads up and good opportunities to
comment on recent developments such as the new Driving licence consultation on a formal basis, and
informally – which is often more influential.
Re TfL, Leon has been involved with a lot of work to ensure that the TfL Handbook that is due for
publication to help Safety Scheme designers consider bikers better is as punchy as it needs to be. This
has required quite a bit of formal engagement with the Motorcycling Safety Action Plan working group –
and a lot more work behind the scenes to counteract various attempts to divert the project from it
The main role of elected members of the Greater London Assembly is to scrutinise what TfL and the
Mayor do. In October, the GLA Transport Committee decided to focus an entire public meeting to the
scrutiny of TfL's policy responses to motorcycling generally and safety in particular. Leon was invited to
answer questions from committee members about TfL's performance on MAG's behalf and as experts
in the field alongside the Motor Cycle Industry Association, the Director of PACTs and the BMF. This
provided an excellent opportunity for Leon to raise awareness of our views and highlight MAG's
concerns. It also paves the way for further input from MAG to an ongoing GLA investigation into TfL's
motorcycling related policies and an official report to be published in the new year.
Promote MAG’s ‘Five pathways for progress’
The Pathways to Progress document is starting to be recognised by some UK Authorities as a useful
and sound basis for refinements in policy strategy – and as a useful tool for MAG activists. Currently it
is mostly used in the North of England but it may be about to gain more traction in Wales and Scotland.
It is very much a working document though so feedback is also welcome.
Develop support for MAG amongst key figures in the motorcycle industry
This is a key aspect of Leon’s work – and especially during the NEC bike show period. Leon will be
focussing on that by attending just before and during the first weekend when the most influential – and
potentially supportive industry people will be there – and available for informal conversations.
This preparation of this issue was interrupted by a wee excursion into AFrica during which I got less
done than I had hoped to. Since I didn’t do any of the driving I thought I’d get quite a lot done while we
were driving but since 1000 km of that was off road in a vehicle not designed for off road there was
rather more bouncing about than might have been not to mention rather high temperatures. I also had
to keep an eye on my driver who brought a new dimension to drinking and driving by pouring cans of
beer into his face as we bounced along, menaced by the occasional pack of baboons and stray Ostrich.
Anyway I stil got a fair bit done including interviewing the guy who runs the biggest desert race in the
Southern hemisphere which addressed the commitment to put a bit of sport in every issue. I tend to
think that rallies a la Dakar combine sport and travel in a way that gives them more general interest
than the roundy round in circles stuff.
We are big on interviews in this issue as Lembit has interviewed Tim Farron the Lib Dem leader who I
met over dinner in Lambeth. As I sat next to him we got to discuss quite a few things but I don’t think
I told him to vote for bombing Syria but anyway we seem to be committed and must hope it turns out for
the best either way I just want you to know it’s not my fault. IT was a spectacular evening in
Westminster as I stayed at Lembit’s flat the night before flying and fitted in a meeting with the IOW MP
about the helmet law repeal trial. He seems like good egg as far as MAG’s libertarian core ideology
goes- the guy is on side. It will be fascinating to see where we get with this.
I also met Alex Salmond (not Salmon) and Tom Watson so it was a spectacular illustration of political
networking and a further endorsement of my claim that in taking on that Eastern European Johnnie with
the funny name we have brought ourselves the key to the Westminster village. I remember years ago
the BMF boasting condescendingly that MAG did it’s bit but there were doors open to them that never
be open to us. How hollow those words sound now; still mustn’t crow, all on the same side etc.
Popped up to the NEC for most of the week though I did very little time on the stand as I am bone idle.
Actual y that’s a bit unfair as I was working furiously in the media lounge that has worse internet than
the places I stayed in Mali and I am not exaggerating. Getting the final pdfs to printers was a nightmare
that was only achieved in the end back at our hire house using my Mac in conjunction with madam
chair’s PC. I think my Mac had some issue which may have been my fault.
There is also an interview with a magistrate who is a biker and MAG member in this issue which
provides what I think is a very helpful insight into the processes of magistrates courts. The good doctors
stirling work on bus lanes and outrageous sea life on our streets gets good coverage and old friend
David Williams who has been a regular writer on transport for the London evening standard has a page.
This is the heavyweight intellectual content that I’ve managed to balance with some infantile nonsense
and a stonkin 6 page review of the NEC which I am hoping wil enhance our relationship with the
Had a chat with Steve Kenward boss of the MCIA at a reception near the NEC. He seemed very
friendly but it is time they gave us a free stand at that show and stopped hiding behind the excuse of
having subordinated that sort of decision to the organisers. Of course I blame the brigadier who was
cruising around like a moray eel; looking for fish to capture on his gaping maw.
I must commend the minced turkey chilly rustled up back at the house courtesy of a chef with a strange
name like a well known medicant for colds.
Oh if anyone says the ydon’t like the cover of this issue then I am going t osend them round to meet my
old friend shorty not that there is anything wrong with shorty or people with his take on life oh no i
should co it’s all perfectly regular stuff oh yes. So no more of that.
A thousand thanks to all who manned the stand and actually did some work. Oh I must credit myself
with nabbing a couple of people who were looking interested in the displays on the edge of the stand
and turned out to be neighbours whose house backs on to the beast’s. She’d said they must come over
and see us and blow me down they joined. Terror of the giant predator may have played its part but
I shal award myself a point for clinching the deal.
While at the show I had a chat with Adventure Bike Magazine (that’s not Overland) It seems to be doing
very well judging by its growing size (180) pages of perfect bound glossiness; I think only Bike
magazine at its peak ever reached that size. It has loads of advertising and I am wondering if a deal
might be struck whereby we can harness their ad staff to sell ads with them appearing in The
ROAD also. If we get anything resembling a credible offer I shal run it by the board. IT could be the
way toward the ROAD meeting the chal enge of becoming more cost effective.
I also had a chat with Henry Cole, he of TV’s ‘world’s greatest motorcycle journeys’ fame. He is v pro
MAG and admits he should be a member. Apparently he was aware of me from when he was ‘so high’
indicating a small child. I wasn’t sure if I Should have been flattered or depressed by this but it beats
being unknown and he is happy to talk to camera explaining why everyone should be a MAG member.
This is my great project for the v near future. A film or series of films featuring celebrities endorsing
MAG that we can put on Youtube - our site and send to all our affiliated clubs for their sites - links at
least that’s what it’s all about - links.
Oh five pages of letters this issue, the most ever. Sadly several are disagreeing with my stance / MAG’s
stance on daytime headlight use. This is an interesting issue as it il ustrates the fact that MAG is part
democracy part church or at least clear ideology. Probably most bikers don’t give a toss about the
industry hard wiring everything as they mostly put their lights on in daylight anyway. MAG does reflect
its members views and at AGC they can direct us to form amend or abandon campaigns if they real y
want to. That said, MAG advertises a clear ideology and has a responsibility to promote and defend it
unless instructed otherwise by its electorate. I hope I have responded convincingly to those who have
written in disagreeing with me. I probably have as I am very clever
IM liaising with Tonks regarding advertising quotes received. Efficiencies of production, etc may lead to
further reductions in the cost of The Road. He noted layout improvements and reported that he has
spoken to Adventure magazine to explore potential “shared ad” opportunities.
SL demonstrated the difference in magazine sizes relating to a discussion earlier in the year regarding
potentially changing the size of The Road. She also requested a “thank you page” to acknowledge the
efforts of regions and branches regarding donations and suggested a bi-monthly call-out for relevant
information that can be fed to IM.
There was a brief discussion around the cover price of The Road. SL to investigate VAT implications of
11. Any other business:
i. Code of conduct
JC ran through the new draft Code of Conduct to be introduced for all formally elected officers to sign. SW
noted that the minimum one-year membership for officers is not always the case, but SL explained that this
was to provide consistency with the Constitution.
Following discussion regarding data protection, AC suggested that on point 6, “and” should be amended to
TP suggested that branch/region, email and telephone contacts should be added, so that scanned copies of
the Codes can be sent out from Central so that individuals have their own record as well.
JC to amend and progress the Code.
ii. Membership chasing
SL suggested that the best way forward with this may be to follow up recent enquires and recently lapsed
members. She noted that this is a matter that needs to be taken very seriously as membership is down by
All should take this back to their regions and branches to progress, along with affiliate club visits. SL
requested that outcomes (e.g. email addresses that bounce back, “do not contact” request, etc) should be
fed to Central to close the loop.
AC noted that information such as clubs editorial contacts needs to be harvested so that information can be
fed to club magazines, etc.
LÖ will forward some short VT clip scripts to SL.
Following PTs resignation as the Foundation’s only active Trustee, IW stated that the Foundation needs to
be rejuvenated into something useful or wound up. He explained that for the Foundation to work effectively
it needs: to break even; to “raise serious money to raise serious issues”; to report bi-monthly to the Board
regarding what is being done; and to revamp its website to make it current and relevant.
IW stressed that this needs to be progressed at the earliest opportunity or the Foundation should be wound
up. He said he would like to present a properly costed business plan to February NC and that liability
insurance must be put in place to protect Trustees. Also, the Charities Commission needs to be contacted
to register Trustees as there are none as at 12/1215. The Foundation will need to access funding streams
that are not available to TMAGL.
To permit IW to progress with plans for the Foundation as outlined.
Proposed: Steve Wykes; Seconded: Tim Peregrine. Carried.
iv. Model rules
SL noted that this “best practice” document had been circulated on-list for input and requested that JC
incorporate any changes/suggestions into it and circulate as a formal draft.
SL reminded all to advertise and raise awareness of events.
vi. AGC reminder
SL reminded all that Manifestos and Motions must be submitted by 31/12/15 and formally asked JC to take
the Minutes at Conference.
vii. First Bike booklet
Booklet was circulated for discussion.
All requested to ensure that all product is current and relevant and to dispose of anything out-of-date.
ix. Driverless cars
A discussion took place at the Board meeting to identify a position on this for MAG.
Priorities were identified as follows:
1. LondOn2Wheels campaign
2. Helmets for trike riders in N.I.
3. Transport focus for current government
4. Political engagement, including forthcoming Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish elections.
6. Justice campaign
7. Isle of Wight helmet campaign
SL and Julie have discussed event attendance for LÖ and identified the need to ensure that time
management on this works. It was noted that he may not get to all events but requests should still be put in.
Date of next meeting: Saturday 13th February 2016.
- NC attendance record 2015 6 December
- NC Minutes 2015 6 December DRAFT