National Committee Attendance Sheet
National Committee Meeting
First Name Initials
Minute Taker / National Reps Liaison
North West Rep / Director TMAGL
South East Rep
Vice Chair / Eastern Rep
North Wales Rep (Acting)
Chair / East Anglia Rep / Director Nice
Employer Ltd / Director TMAGL
National Membership Coordinator
Thames Valley Rep
West Midlands Rep
East Midlands Rep
Campaigns & Policy Advisor
Herts / Essex Rep (Acting)
President / Editor “The Road”
Director Comms & Public Affairs
South West Rep
Western Region Rep
Clubs Liaison Officer / Yorkshire Rep
North East Rep
South Wales Rep
Scotland Rep / Director TMAGL
Deputy for Eddie Lowe
Observer / Foundation Trustee
Observer / Database presentation
Observer/Chauffeur to NRLO
Motorcycle Action Group: National Committee Meeting
Date: February 13, 2016 Time 12.00 pm Venue: Wren Hall, CV35 7NF
1. Introduction and Register of Interests
SL thanked all for attending. All attendees introduced themselves.
2. Apologies for absence:
Recorded on attached attendance sheet.
3. Appointments and resignations:
SW returned as Scotland RR
DR returned as Western RR
TPo returned as South West RR
AF appointed as South East RR
4. Adoption of NC agenda:
Adopted with revisions.
5. Ratification of previous NC Minutes:
To accept the December 2015 Minutes.
Proposed: Tim Poole; Seconded: Ian Williamson. Carried.
It was noted that the October 2015 had been ratified by email vote
6. Matters arising from previous NC Minutes:
December 2015 Action Points were circulated.
IW reported that the link to the BMF segregation article has been provided.
LM reported that the matter regarding the scooter crash on light segregation is ongoing.
TC reported that he is liaising with Andy Meredith and “keeping the old site going with string and sellotape”!
SL noted that the PO Box will be discontinued when due for renewal later this year, as the volume of post no
longer warrants the cost.
TC will update the link to the electronic version of The Road each issue in the hope that it encourages
SW has circulated a draft response regarding the use of covert speed cameras on-list, and it will be
progressed on-list. SL flagged that it is not for public release at this time.
(AF joins the meeting. All re-introduce themselves as this is AF’s first meeting.)
SW reported local contact regarding the closure of the Forth Bridge for repairs and a successful campaign
regarding the new one. There is no real mileage in a campaign at the present time while repairs are
ongoing. The new bridge is scheduled to open sometime in Autumn.
IM spoke about live-linking of adverts in the electronic version of The Road and SL noted that it needs to be
well promoted before investing financially. AB asked whether the electronic version is being sold and SL
explained that there would be tax implications in doing so as it would no longer be classed as a member
There was a brief discussion regarding the draft Code of Conduct, particularly around point 5.
To accept the draft Code of Conduct and begin use thereof.
Proposed: IW; Seconded: DR. Carried.
There was a discussion regarding recruitment and pursuit of lapsed members. SL has requested costings
on the use of a call centre to do this work. JC raised concerns regarding use of this as a way forward as
cold-calling can alienate some. All were encouraged to push membership and to feed back any incorrect
information that comes to light in pursuing lapsed members. SL will re-circulate a simplified membership
form on-list and DH will complete a PowerPoint presentation that can be used for meetings and displays.
A trial of three issues of The Road with a membership form on the back is to take place to see whether it
would be cost-effective.
AC asked how many telephone lines there are at Central and whether it would be practical for volunteers to
go in to make calls on a membership retention drive. SL said this is something that could be investigated
when fast technology has reached the office!
SL noted that there have always been around 1300 Life Members, but that recent figures show an increase
to around 1500.
SL reminded all that a discounted membership can be obtained from Central for use as a raffle prize, etc.
JC asked whether the nationally available benefits to full members could be advertised in The Road.
SL asked all to remember, when sending out emails to big lists to use the Bcc facility and TC requested that
such emails needed to be sent out of office hours.
Provision of scripts for VT clips was carried forward to the new Action Points.
JC reported that the revamped Model Rules for Regions had been circulated on-list but no further feedback
has been received. JC to resend with a 2-week deadline for an email vote. DH to collate the vote.
Report from L&L previously circulated on-list.
LM ran through his and LÖ priorities and then reported on the following:
Spoken to Charley Boorman and Carl Fogarty at London Bike Show; they have said they will join MAG and
have given verbal permission for their images to be used by MAG.
LM and SL met with high-ranking TfL officers to establish a stance regarding cycles and cycle lanes. LM
noted that the GLA have stated that narrowing traffic lanes to prevent filtering by PTWs is “deliberate policy”.
A booklet of best practise for highway designers is around 75% complete with input from LM. Once
published it can be used regionally and locally. It is due for release by TfL.
L&L have met with the GLA Transport Chair.
The BikeSafe initiative was in danger of being scrapped but has been retained.
There has been good progress in the regions, notably Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire Combined
Authority and West Midlands Combined Authority (LM noted considerable work done by Colin Brown on
The Taxi Drivers legal challenge in respect to the Cycle Super Highway has been thrown out and all has
gone quiet at the Secretary of State’s office. It is not yet known whether the Canary Wharf group will
MAG hopes to meet with the London Mayoral candidates. There was a suggestion that a joint
MCIA/MAG/BMF meeting could be arranged but a letter has been sent to MCIA stating that MAG cannot
work with organisations that are philosophically opposed to our remit.
The Pathways to Progress has now been embedded in the WMCA strategy and is on the way to be included
in the WYCA.
“Stock” responses are needed for responses to consultations.
AC noted that there is a serious issue around the matter of the BMF and Graham Haye accepting light
segregation cycle schemes. It was decided that MAG should simply develop and maintain its own position
on this issue.
8. Board meeting report:
SW noted Action Points regarding Manchester Show, Morton Media and New Rider.
SL is drafting a position statement regarding driverless cars.
SW will liaise with LÖ regarding the Scottish Bike Show.
Recruitment is a key area to progress.
There is to be trial membership form on three issues of The Road at a cost of £40 per issue.
One C.V. has been received in respect of a Directorship with MAG Media.
IW and Rory Wilson have been appointed as new Trustees to the MAG Foundation and a third (Fin
Coulson) is progressing.
The Central Office premises move has gone well with utilities bills reduced more than originally anticipated.
There is still an issue with broadband width that is causing some problems.
December 2015 membership figures have been the highest since 2010.
TMAGL is solvent and operating legally.
MAG Media has introduced a performance-related element to IM’s remuneration.
There are cost implications to live-link advertising.
Plans for AGC 2016 are progressing.
AB asked whether MAG has a stance regarding driverless cars. SL to move this issue up the priorities list.
SL reported that there are two vacant TMAGL Director’s posts and personnel wil need to be co-opted to
replace Paul Turner and John Mitchell. Interested parties should forward a Manifesto to Central.
SL noted that those posts that are up for re-election and are uncontested will be automatically returned to
9. FEMA report:
It was noted that NFL had circulated a report on the NC list.
10. Additions to emailed reports:
British Independent Islands – vacant
Cumbria Report from Michael Armstrong, Cumbria RR
Xmas Dinner was on the 10th of December and was well attended.
Fortnightly meetings running as normal.
Organising the annual Easter Egg Run.
Whitehaven AGM to be held on the 22nd of February.
Xmas Party was on the 12th of December.
Sent a donation to Central from past events (Dead End Rally, Xmas Party) £1600, picture sent in to The
Furness AGM was on the 19th of Jan.
Organising the Dead End Rally.
Regularly attend Whitehaven MAG meeting’s.
Send NC emails to Furness/Whitehaven MAG.
Attended the Furness AGM to deal with some issues. (report was sent at the time).
Inviting Sue Hayman MP on the Whitehaven MAG Easter Egg Ride and sending one to Jamie Reed MP
(hopefully get him signed up to MAG too
East Anglia Report from Selina Lavender, East Anglia RR & Chair
Bury St Edmunds (B.S.E.) MAG has their Mad Cow Rally at the end of January and it went well with very
good feedback from all attending. They have an Easter Egg run planned for post Easter, as egg runs are
very popular they have done very well not to clash with other events in the region. They have also had
interest from the local H.O.G. chapter joining them.
Haverhill MAG is now in the meetings pages. It is a small group meeting once a month and the regulars that
attend are keen to put on their own event.
West Norfolk MAG, the numbers attending meetings is very low but the members are still around and still
MAG members. Come the spring efforts will be made to find another venue although the changing face of
the pubs in the area made this search very difficult last time.
The Regional AGM has been set for 19th March in Haverhill. Dave Hammond is coming to observe.
East Midlands – vacant
Eastern Report from Dave Hammond, Eastern RR & Vice Chair
Not a lot happening,
Regional meetings still being held, still trying to drum up support to get more local groups started.
I have accepted an invite to attend a Peterborough & Cambridge Road Safety Partnership conference,
Selina will be attendance as well. I attended this last time with Tink, we were the only bikers there. Keeping
Facebook updated in area. Due to last minute cancelation by venue Peterborough AGM cancelled (will take
place within 15mth period)
Accepted request by East Anglia Region to observer AGM
Peterborough MAG Update for Eastern Regional Rep
1st December 2015 – 1st February 2016
As of 15th January 2016 Funds holding: £170.02
Funds donated: £0.00
Total Peterborough membership:
82 approx. Taken from membership list dated: 19/11/2015 (awaiting new list)
Continued to recruit new members & take renewal membership.
Campaigns issues: Continuing pushing PCC for Bus Gate & Lower Bridge Street signage. Encouraged
members to write into Nene Park Trust re M/C parking charges and parking area.
List of events & any monies raised: £50.95 raised 4th Dec Xmas social. £40.00 raised on the FB fundraising
page selling donated items.
Secured a double pitch in the Club Zone at the MCN Festival in May.
Booked into the Springfields show. (NB £300 raised by Peterborough MAG and Mid Lincs MAG. At the
event, monies sent to central)
Have 2 Fred Hill runs planned leaving from Peterborough Feb & end of May.
Easter charity run organised with a raffle for MAG.
Approached by Peterborough City Council to have MAG Stand in City Centre 21st May.
Untitled: Made & released a Peterborough MAG/MAG promotional video.
Opened a Facebook group selling donated items from members, 100% of monies to Peterborough MAG.
Peterborough MAG Rep
Greater London – vacant
Herts & Essex Jon Metcalfe
Lincolnshire Alex Bridgwood, Lincolnshire RR
It’s been a quiet couple of months for events within the Region since my last report but the monthly
meetings still taking place are seeing good attendance. In January Mid Lincs MAG did a joint stand with
Peterborough MAG to raise £450. 2 new members were signed up and 1 member renewed with the
remainder of the money coming from donations, sticker sales etc.
Mid Lincs MAG have put together a full programme of events taking place throughout the Region for this
year with a few ideas for raising funds and awareness in the pipeline.
The Regional AGM is taking place next month on the 20th March.
North East Report from Dave Wigham, North East RR
During January I put a lot of effort into the County Durham Sustainable Transport Policy 2015-2030.
We have been trying with little success to be part of the above document and policy but were simply
directed to the on-line ‘comments’ page of Durham County. A lucky break came when a local council or that
is also a biker and attends Northern MAG rallys contacted us and included us in an email exchange he was
having with the Policy Advisor. The result of which was we had a few days to canvas the views and
comments of regional motorcyclists in relation to the draft document and then condense these comments
into a form that could be submitted to the Durham County Sustainable Transport Strategy and Action Plan,
we included in this the Pathways to progress document from Leon.
Anyway the upshot is that NE MAG are now ‘Consulted Stakeholders’ in the next version of the plan. I will
attach the documents we provided at the end of this report.
Comments were gathered by our FB pages and via a mass email to MAG members in the wider North East
Region. While that doesn’t sound like much it was several evening work. We were offered the chance of a
meeting with Peter Ollivere the Principal Spatial Policy Officer - Transport and Infrastructure for the Region
as he works for Newcastle and Durham however due to him having two offices and the short deadline this
We’re now looking forward to a productive working relationship with the Spatial Policy Office.
We are supporting one of our members as they try to improve things for bikers in Gateshead, or least ways
makes things no worse for bikers. A new set of traffic calming measures are due to go in and bikes will not
be allowed in bus lanes, this is odd because Gateshead is between Durham and Newcastle where we have
got bikes into bus lanes, letters sent, contacts being made.
Newcastle Council have presented us with the BMF Graham Hey article and info on Armadillos. This has
made our arguments very difficult to push. We have had another meeting about this at MAG Durham and
reviewing the documents we have we think our best option is to argue against fitting anymore on future
projects as the Great North Road Orca battle has I’m afraid been lost, thank you BMF and Mr Hey.
Darlington chugs along as Darlington does and they are currently sorting themselves to support Stormin’
again. Those guys were a great help with the comments for the Durham City Policy document, some of
them seemed to forget where they live………wink
Durham have always been a very political group and continue to be so, it’s Durham folks that are dealing
with councils in Newcastle, Gateshead and Durham on the issues above. Avril has secured an invite to the
Scottish Harley Caledonian rally for out MAG stall and we hope Steve Wilkes can be there. Invite to other
non-coalition rallies are also coming in, the calendar for 2016 is filling up. Folks are also planning their
marshalling duties for Yorkshire and Stormin’.
We also attended Leeds MAG meeting and MAP meeting in Leeds, it was good to hear the same things
being talked about in Leeds as in the North East.
Blyth struggles. The re-launch in January was attended by a handful of stalwarts but non were willing to
take on any role. As they are surrounded by coalition clubs this is understandable. As such there is no
longer a regular meeting but the MAG members don’t want the name to fold. It’s a 60 mile round trip. I’m
leaving the FB page up in the hope of resurrecting it further into the better riding weather.
Blyth Egg run
Obviously there will be no egg run this year because there is nobody to organise it. I have been approached
by a couple of clubs offering to do it if they can use MAG PLI, obviously I’ve turned them down.
Below are the collated comments for County Durham Sustainable Transport Policy 2015-2030
Collected comments prepared for Peter Ollivere
Principal Spatial Policy Officer - Transport and Infrastructure
Short version and collated comments
Pathways for Progress: Reducing congestion, improving mobility and cutting casualties
Improving policy for Motorcycling and PTW riders
Urgent review of road furniture and 'safety' schemes to identify and eliminate elements that have
potential for adverse impacts on PTW rider safety
Lifting bans on PTWs in all with-flow bus (Durham has already done this)
Provision of parking facilities for PTWs should be on a par with bicycles
Ensure that PTW rider safety is considered as much as other vulnerable road users in all road scheme
consultations - and from the outset of all scheme developments
The introduction of a Motorcycling Officer in all LTAs
One in thirty citizens in the county are regular motorcyclists and almost one in ten citizens are fully qualified
to ride. Therefore PTW users constitute a substantial part of the road using public.
County Durham MAG members were emailed directly and County Durham riders were canvased via social
media. The following comments were collected between the 12/01/16 and the 21/1/16.
Signage on roads. ARE YOU TWO WHEEL AWARE or FRIENDLY? With both the O's like bike wheels
(one bike and one pushbike) on display in cities and urban routes. Or TWO WHEELS BEAT CONGESTION,
ITS EASIER TO COMMUTE ON TWO WHEELS THAN FOUR.
We see plenty of signs that say BENDS AHEAD and TO DIE FOR out in the sticks so why not put the
message out that bikes are also eco-friendly for commuting.
Where new road schemes have farm entrance or field entrances these should be fitted with cattle grids to
stop debris washing out onto the road surface and help remove mud from tractors wheels before they enter
Where forward stop lines are used for bicycles, to allow then to stop in a safe zone in front of cars and vans
at traffic lights Motorbikes should also be allowed to use the forward stop line. Bicycles actually initially
accelerate faster than motorbikes, this allows a safe separation and still allows a safe zone for motorbikes,
you can see this all over London.
Durham County is ahead of the pack and allows bikes in bus lanes, this needs to stay in future because
bikes use less fuel than cars and get there quicker meaning they burn less fuel sitting in traffic jams.
Keep left signs on traffic islands must be clear and illuminated and not dirty with road muck. In the dark the
raised curbs of a traffic island are very easy to hit, especially if you have to pull out to the right to overtake a
slower cycle, invalid buggy etc. because your concentration is on the hazard on the left, not the traffic island
on your right.
Motorcycle parking bays frequently have cars parked in them as signs are ignored, can future parking bays
be designed to have bollards or a kind of barrier to prevent inconsiderate car drivers using these bays.
Don’t use Armadil os or Orcas as lane dividers as these are a collision hazard, especially for smaller
commuter bikes. Likewise don’t use planters like they have in some cities.
Sales of commuter bikes are increasing rapidly according to the press, if 1 out of 10 road users commuted
by two wheeler there would be no congestion. Source, Transport for London.
During road upgrades and modifications to roads whoever plans the road furniture should be bike aware and
understand the danger poor placement of road furniture can cause to motorcyclists.
Traffic calming measures can be lethal to PTW users, before traffic calming measures are designed
somebody from the world of motorcycling should be consulted for example the dangerous situation at
Bowburn where road humps have been installed on a blind bend.
Darlington is a super place to visit because it has loads of bike parking with special steel pipes to chain your
bike to. The parking also has plenty of space so you are not in danger of dropping a £16,000 bike, even a
cheap bike is £10,000 these days and they are very easy to steal. So similar parking to Darlington near
White lines and painted letters on road surfaces should be kept to a minimum and high friction material used
at all times, white lines and letters go smooth and become low friction and dangerous to bikers very quickly
I live in County Durham - Grange Villa to be exact - and think that helmet lockers could be good, not sure
where they could go though. I tend not to leave mine on the bike in case it rains or gets used as a urinal.
There is a nice one from France: http://www.mainslib.fr/images/experience02-mobile.jpg
I am sure there are many more... Bottom of Claypath next to the bike bays would work, I live Chester-Le-
Street though, so, probably in/near the Marketplace, train station Chester and Durham, bus terminus.
Motorcycle parking with security features like solid bars that motorcycles can be chained to or under security
There should be as much motorcycle parking as there is cycle parking and it should be secure, a big non
incentive to using my bike is the fear of getting it stolen when having to park down Durham Baths.
If new parking for PTW’s is developed signs that point to parking should also point to PTW parking.
Don’t put metal signs or posts on the apex of a bend where a soft human body will hit it in the event of a
slide which can happen at very low speeds due to gravel build up on corners and at junctions.
Also sweep areas where loose gravel and muck builds up at junctions and corners, these areas are death
traps for all two wheel users’ not just bikers.
I think repeated thick white lines are very dangerous for all forms of bikes powered or not because even at
low speeds they can induce ‘tank slappers’ and steering wobble leading to loss of control, don’t use
repeated thick white or any colour thick painted lines. The thin ones are OK if they are not slippery.
Not so much a problem in Durham but in other northern towns like Newcastle, cars park on M/C parking
areas, if this happens bikes are allowed to use car bays, but then the car parked on the M/C bay leaves and
it looks like the bikes have just been randomly parked in car bays which leads to confrontation with parking
patrols and drivers. This issue needs to be kept in mind when planning M/C parking.
Advertise locally the benefits of commuting via two wheels and where journey times can be reduced for
instance A690 Durham and Gilesgate bank.
Darlington Town Council has a custom and classic bike show every year in their town centre, this is a great
spectacle and promotes motorcycles, road safety for all and the benefits of two wheel transport to the
greater public, could Durham City do the same via whoever runs the market place?
Electric bikes are going to be huge in the next few years, some of these will be small enough and low
enough power to use cycle lanes, will the council take this into consideration, and are they ready for this?
Helmet lockers at transport hubs i.e. Railway Station / Bus Station like in Europe. These can be used by
cyclists and bikers.
Mud from tractors on the road- is an appalling issue and so dangerous, advocate farmers to use similar
methods when they had to use foot and mouth detergents when leaving the fields.
Fuel spillage, especially from council vehicles - in particular refuge collectors, there is a mini-roundabout
near Chilton on the A167 which is lethal due to this- advocate only filling 75% of all fuel tanks.
Too many parking areas have decorative cobbles or uneven paving slabs. These are very dangerous when
parking two wheeled vehicles: lots of bikes weigh 300kgs or more, some big bikes are more like 500kgs and
these have to be ‘wheeled’ to manoeuvre them. Currently there is no suitable parking for any touring type
motorcycle in Durham City and this must put touring motorcyclists off visiting our beautiful city. If you can
afford a £20,000 touring motorcycle you have plenty of disposable income to spend in Durham City.
Durham is an old city, current parking is very poor and unsuitable for anything more than a moped, uneven
ground etc. makes parking a MC very difficult for smaller riders and women. Also, what parking there is fills
up very quickly due to competition for the flatter more even ground parking spaces.
Alternative parking areas needed to be advertised at parking bays so visitors know where else they can go
You can buy expensive push bikes tax free via a Durham County Council employee scheme, could this be
extended to electric bikes for Council employees?
When any kind of lane separator is used the designer must understand that PWT and peddle bikes will at
some point be forced into and over them by cars and trucks and collisions and with the lane dividers will
happen, allow for escape routes and don’t use any type of lane splitter / divider that will make a collision
Signs to point out to drivers that motorcyclists and all two wheel users are vulnerable road users.
More advertising on roadsides about motorbikes, especially on major roads, commuter hold-ups- remind
these people that we are here and filtering is legal.
The Institute of Advanced Motorcycling (and police / professional riders) trains us to go over the white line to
see further ahead. Grass and hedges on bends and at junctions needs to be kept in order to preserve
visibility for all road users.
More advertising on signalling, one of the most dangerous aspects of road use is this blind ignorance not to
Parking - allow motorbikes to use the muliti-storey car parks FOC.
Technology is moving electric motorcycles forward much quicker than cars, they are already selling very
well at the dealerships, and bike parking bays will need re-charging points.
Bike parking facilities will need to be larger than anticipated due to the expected take off of electric bikes.
Durham City currently has a very good set up of random parking i.e. if there is no bike parking available you
can park in a car bay FOC this needs to be kept in the future and extended over the whole County.
Safe well-lit parking at new proposed transport hubs like the new bus station.
The yearly bike aware event is a great success, non-bikers et al turn up and seemingly enjoy it, encourage
motor bike sellers, dealers to several joint presentations in town every few months, basically mini bike aware
events but with a view to actually selling bikes, scooter, highlighting recent surveys that speak of all the
benefits of reduced congestion etc.
Encourage ride-outs with the council staff and MP’s
We have MAG in Durham, do we have anything else? Offer with the council safety ride-outs - explaining
how and what- i.e. continual learning.
More accessible advanced driving courses.
If there is a road sign that says ‘Filtering is legal’ it needs to be mounted at traffic jam hot spots to stop car
drivers acting aggressively such as using their cars to block the progress of bikes and even driving at bikers.
If there isn’t a sign Durham needs to invent one for the rest of the Country.
David Wigham. Motorcycle Action Group. North East Regional Rep.
North Wales Report from Bill Hughes, Acting Rep
No written report, verbal update at meeting
North West Report from Tony Cox, North West RR & TMAGL Director
NW Report December-January 2016
11th December: – Board Meeting
Attended the Board Meeting minutes available at www.mag-uk.org.
12th December: - NC Meeting
Attended the MAG NC meeting at Wroxhall, minutes available at www.mag-uk.org
22nd January: - Meeting with Blackpool Honda
I arranged a meeting with the sales manager of Blackpool Honda to discuss them giving away free MAG
memberships with bike sales and training courses. All seemed to be going well until I mentioned that MAG
would be requiring £16 to cover the maintenance of the membership. I get the feeling that he thought that it
would be costing them nothing? He needs to discuss with his superiors and will get back to me. It was a
useful meeting and discussed other ways we can work together including other branches in the COX group
including Preston Honda and Lancaster Honda.
28th January: - North West Alliance Meeting, Avernus MCC, Chorley
It was a very good attendance. I am now looking after the Alliance web-site and events calendar until the
original chairman and founder is fully fit. Signed up the Gypsy Divas MCC on the night which was a bonus!
National IT Matters
I continue to be involved in the IT/website upgrades but more as an observer as the team are getting on
very well. We still have very slow internet connection at Central and this is causing issues in backing up the
Cardiff server. It has been suggested that if we can scrounge some additional disk space from our host in
Cardiff to use as a back-up for our on-site server until the issues at Central are resolved. All activities are
now being tracked via the Mantis Bug tracker.
I am also keeping the current web-site up to date and resolving issues when they occur.
Local Group news activities
All NW groups functioning well. A member of Morecambe MAG has contacting me in relation to opening
up the bus lane between Lancaster & Morecambe which we are looking into. The planned Salford MAG
Rally will not go ahead this year due to building work on the site. Pete Walker kindly visited the site a few
weeks ago and has given a glowing report of the site. Red Rose MAG are hosting their re-launch Rock night
soon which is very encouraging. Manchester Rep Jimmy Torrence is continuing his recovery from a major
stroke and has organised participation in this weekends NW Fred Hill Run in Blackburn by a number of the
young riders from the Manchester MAG group. If the weather is poor, a separate run will be held in Central
Manchester along with members from Salford MAG. Blackpool MAG Rally theme now finalised and tickets
are on sale from the NW website. I am keeping this site updated as much as possible but I am also
caretaker of the NW Alliance website and Facebook sites and it is difficult keeping everything up-to-date.
Tony Cox, NW Regional Rep.
Northern Ireland – vacant
Scotland Report from Steve Wykes, Scotland RR & TMAGL Director
10th October 2015 Attended NC Meeting at Wren Hall.
3rd November Attended Scottish Road Safety Framework mid-term review at Police HQ Fettes. This proved
to be a much more productive meeting than the initial meeting in Stirling on 31st August. The participants
were more receptive to our input and it was agreed to amend Action RSF 92 to read “Consider the needs
and vulnerabilities of motorcyclists in developing motorcycle-friendly roads and roadsides where this may
support casualty reduction, while ensuring that motorcycle safety is fully considered when other traffic
calming schemes are introduced.” Also got recognition that on the speed related aspects of the Framework
that the proportion of vehicles travelling at appropriate speed was a more realistic indicator than simply
looking at average traffic speeds. Still need to do more to get serious consideration as to how the other
89% of accidents can be addressed.!
11th December Attended Board Meeting at Holly Oak Business Park
15th December Attended survey / interview on proposed 20mph blanket limit on the majority of Edinburgh
Roads. Put a case for restricting 20mph limits to residential areas and other perceived problem areas to
times when problems might occur. Sited that compliance would probably be very low on more major roads
and at times when traffic and hazards are minimal, fostering a disregard for necessary 20mph limits.
Compliance within 20mph areas likely to be extremely low without excessive enforcement (disproportionate
to Police manpower availability and benefit). Currently the vast majority of Road users comply with 30mph
limits, many road users are now likely to consider these artificially low limits purely as a means of
criminalising and penalising motorists. Other concerns included likelihood of increased pollution on more
major routes, with most vehicles no longer operating anywhere close to peak engine efficiency and
extended journey times for freight deliveries.
12th December Attended NC Meeting at Wren Hall
5th January Attended PATAP group meeting at Waverley Court Edinburgh – Concern from Bus operators
over removal of bus lanes to facilitate Roseburn to Leith Walk segregated cycleway. MAG’s concerns over
trip hazards diminished road space and increased risk and inconvenience for the majority of road users for
the benefit of a tiny proportion was explained.
13th January Attended Edinburgh Transport Forum at Edinburgh City Galleries – Discussion principally
about Rail, was able to quiz John Yellowlees External Relations Manager from Scotrail about the lack of
M/C Parking facilities at the majority of stations.
16th January MAG Scotland AGM Wintersgreens, Glasgow Re-elected as Rep many thanks to Selina for
making the long trip North to a Snowy Glasgow to observe and I hope you made it home before Sunday
1st February Submitted response to consultation on Roseburn to Leith Walk segregated cycleway. Along
lines indicated above, copy of consultation response attached.
9th February Attended meeting with Stuart Baxter of Transport Scotland to finalise review and contribution
to Scottish Road Safety Framework Mid-term review. Suggested additional indicator to be added to
Motorcyclists Overarching Outcomes Indicator to the effect that “In addition to monitoring absolute numbers
of casualties, consideration will also be taken of casualty rates to ensure fluctuations of usage do not mask
underlying trends.” While in the section relating to Delivery Partners = High Level Actions I submitted the
following for MAG.
Delivery Partners - High Level Actions
Formed in 1973, The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) is a civil rights organisation working to influence
political decision making and social attitudes for the benefit of motorcyclists and motorcycling. MAG draws
on the experience of the thousands of motorcyclists and scooter riders who make up its membership. In the
context of the Scottish Road Safety Framework MAG is seeking to work with the Scottish Government,
Local Authorities and other bodies to ensure that proper consideration of the needs and vulnerabilities of
riders is given, to fully integrate motorcycles and scooters into the transport mix helping to reduce casualty
rates and realise the benefits that this mode can provide.
The opportunity was also taken to provide Stuart with a copy of our pathways to progress document, which
Stuart thought was another area where MAG as stakeholders had a valuable input towards helping improve
the situation for motorcyclists. He also advised that the previously submitted Guidelines for Motorcycling
Drafted by us with input from the BMF and others and endorsed by the Scottish Executive in July 2007 was
being considered by two of his colleagues and he anticipated getting back to us seeking a revision to take
account of changes to the regulatory framework and updated IHIE Guidelines etc,
South East from Ann France South East RR
A very successful AGM held in Dec 2015 with a view to growing the region2 separate rides organised for
Fred Hill Run, 1 from Sussex and 1 from Kent. N.E.Kent are having a Rock nite fundraiser 12th Feb Brighton
had a Xmas party and Chichester had a Xmas meal get together, Brighton have joined forces with RBL
riders association SE Region to grow the successful Remembrance ride and service at Newhaven Fort,
Sussex. East Kent are having an AGM at end of this month to resurrect this lapsed group. Hastings,
Eastbourne & Uckfield are looking to do the same within the next month or so. Have interest for groups to
site in Tonbridge Wells and Horsham & Crawley areas. The region as a whole is working together to hold a
large Rally to promote MAG throughout the South East with many rallies and events already booked in to
attend its looking like a busy year.
South Wales Report from Ian Williamson, South Wales RR
Aberystwyth MAG had its Christmas Dinner and Cardiff MAG held a late Christmas dinner
Mag oversaw the recommendation to award £300,000 in grants to two projects in Wales one for an
improved helmet insert which would reduce brain injuries. One for a radar warning system on junctions to
warn drivers of an approaching motorcyclist
Membership has been chased up by Cardiff MAG sending out emails and letters to lapsed members.
Liaison with North Wales MAG on a joint stand at the Llangollen Bike Show this summer
Work undertaken by members on IT systems for Central and the reviving of the Foundation.
Good turnout for Fred Hill Run from across South Wales
Challenges being experienced from other motorcycling organisations and commercial operators.
Letters sent to several companies recommending corporate membership.
Members reminded that group Facebook pages are not for the promotion of their businesses;
particularly when they conflict with other members interests. T&Cs added to ensure compliance.
10. Contact made with DfT to explore the production of a Safe Children's Guide to Motorcycles (thanks to
Dave and Tink)
South West Report from Tim Poole, South West RR
There are still 5 active groups in the South West Region, Cornwall, North Devon, Mid Devon, Taunton and
Thanks to Taunton MAG for hosting the South West Region AGM, and also to Deb Rose, who observed the
meeting for NC. There were no interested volunteers on the day, so I am RR for the foreseeable… The
Committee consists of Rep, Dep Rep & Secretary.
I attended Western Region AGM as NC Observer. I was impressed by how well this meeting was run.
There were a number of Fred Hill Runs across the Region, Cornwall MAG & North Devon MAG with Mid
Devon MAG rode to Dartmoor Prison, Princetown, Taunton MAG rode to Dorchester Prison & met East
Dorset MAG there. Ian Mutch gave a thought provoking speech, with information about Fred Hill, which was
good for those present who had not been able to meet the man.
East Dorset MAG have a Social Night on 13th Feb with Karaoke/Rock Disco & EDMAG’s very own Crap
Raffle! At their meeting place, the Seaview Hotel, Poole.
Events in the Region are well into the Planning stages & posters for these can be seen on Facebook pages
& some also online at https://wiki.mag-uk.org/index.php/Rally_Fliers
Southern Report from Tim Peregrine, Southern RR & NEL Director
Basingstoke MAG have noted slow increase and consistent numbers since
moving back to the pub and also been supporting and had support from Thames
Portsmouth MAG report the proposed parking charges in the City's car parks,
discussed internally in the Council, have ceased due to objections.
Portsmouth MAG will be planning to host their Show at the Port Solent
Marina later in the year.
Salisbury MAG are moving forwards with their plans for the Spring Surprise,
there has been some "push-back" from the Open Spaces Manager, however
positive to find a solution because of local support from the public and
Southampton MAG are planning a Show in the summer months and are currently
looking for a suitable venue. After their last Show, possible tie ins with
East Dorset MAG.
My Dep. Rep, John Baker, planned a ride out and attend the Fred Hill run.
Southern Regional Reps have met twice.
Observed Salisbury MAG AGM.
Planning that John Baker and I attend respective Hampshire Road Safety
Council Meetings, later this month.
To pursue Covec (Bull-it Jeans) as Corporate Member.
As NICE Employer Director;
Discussed staff pay review plans with Selina.
Attended Staff Meeting at Central.
Attended Staff reviews at Central.
Thames Valley Gareth Lewis, Thames Valley RR
For the region report, all steady no change.
Easter Bike Show, Dirty Donkey, Lion Rally and Chinnor Bike Dayz all in hand.
Fred Hill Run 21st Feb normal route and timings.
My apologies I won't make it to the NC meeting, busy constructing Nursery for impending baby arrival and
prepping to start new job with local Reading Harley dealership.
Warwickshire Roger Ford, Warwickshire RR
West Midlands Eddie Lowe, West Midlands RR
6th December 2015 - 5th February 2016
Eddie continues his stalwart efforts in the region leading every monthly region meeting and dealing with
Bromsgrove Council on Man Hole Cover issues. The council have promised a response once they have
contacted the utility companies.
Eddie sends his apologies for the February NC Meeting but is planning to make it to the AGC in April
Preparations for the 40th Anniversary of the Brum Demo this year are under way
Regional AGM scheduled for 26th March 2016 – Observer required
17th December 2015 – West Midlands Combined Authority adopted the Movement for Growth 20 year
Following productive consultation this document includes significant recognition of PTW's in line with the
6th January 2016 – Meeting with Paul Ruffle (Birmingham City Council) and Redditch Motorcycle Training
Discussion about post CBT training for young riders – Birmingham City Council offering small budget for
pilot scheme but discussed making this a region wide initiative throughout all 7 councils in WMCA. The
scheme is a development of a previous scheme under the title “Take Control”
15th January 2016 – Meeting with Sandwell Borough Council
Meeting with Simon Chadwick (Principal Officer Development - Highways Services). This meeting was set
up following letters written to local councillors following their comments in the press ref funding for pot hole
repair. We wrote to suggest solutions for Man hole covers with respect to utility companies. The ideas were
well received and the council confirmed a new policy of 100% inspection of repairs by (legal requirement is
to inspect 10%). Birmingham City Council “Take Control” pilot scheme was also well received as a positive
17th January 2016 – Email to Jake Thrush suggesting a combined authority approach to the Take Control
scheme lead to agreement for the Scheme to be discussed at the next meeting of the West Midlands Road
Safety Group on 2nd February – awaiting feedback on progress.
25th January 2016 – Meeting with Michael Gardner (British Parking Association)
Exploratory meeting to see if there is an appetite to develop/expand the guidelines in the Park Mark Scheme
for PTW's – Positive meeting – watch this space
29th January 2016 – Meeting with Worcester County Council
Follow up/progress meeting to my initial meeting in July. Following that meeting the Council has conducted
an audit of all PTW parking provided. This has lead to an apology from the council re lack of PTW parking
in Redditch. Signage and advertising was discussed and a budget source agreed to provide better signage
and to improve and expand PTW parking in certain locations (starting with Redditch). Agreement was also
made to review current policy on PTW access to bus lanes. The transport planning manager instructed the
strategy manager to revisit the issue as he agreed with the arguments for access.
3rd February 2016 – Armadillos spotted in Birmingham
Short stretch of Armadillos spotted in Hill Street close to Birmingham New Street Station. Contacted Paul
Ruffle (Senior Road Safety Officer) – he put me in touch with Graham Lennard (Principal Active Transport
Officer). Took a call from Graham Lennard today (5th Feb) stating that the armadillos had been put in by a
contractor as a temporary solution. I have suggested an alternative solution needs to be considered. I was
able to do sufficient name dropping to secure a commitment that someone would get back to me shortly. -
Watch this space.
Western report Deb Rose, Western RR
No written report, verbal update at meeting
Yorkshire Report from Oliver Rose
Again, West Yorkshire continues to be positive - I’ve no doubt there will be lots of stuff in the political unit
report about that. The word up there seems to be that we’l be getting almost everything we wanted, but we
are still waiting for the results of a consultants report to confirm things. It looks like WYCA wants to shake
things up because their being over-liberal in the past has led to lots of vehicles being allowed access to bus
I haven’t heard anything from East or North Yorkshire recently, so I would assume all is steady over there.
South Yorkshire seems to be a sticking point, and may require a similar intervention to that performed in
West Yorkshire in the future. Sheffield has been traditionally positive towards us in the past, and remains so
- new bus lanes that are being opened are open to motorcycles without needing to ask. Barnsley and
Rotherham are strongly against the idea, although their parking policies are both positive towards us.
Doncaster is continuing with their current trial, although there is an apparent lack of interest from
motorcyclists in the area - a count was done which showed more riders filtering than using the bus lane, for
some reason, although we are waiting for more details about the conditions on the day in case there is a
The other main projects on the go are the outreach project, where members from Yorkshire branches will be
taking themselves to support events outside of the county - there are a lot of people, members and
otherwise who come to support the major events in Yorkshire, and so
AGC planning is full steam ahead now, so the only thing to take back to the regions is to get a handle on
who will be coming and if they have any special dietary requirements.
CB reported that Worcestershire Council has committed to secure motorcycle parking county-wide and is
looking for feedback on appropriate sites.
Following a request for Observer, IW will observe West Midlands AGM on 26/03/16. Also OR will observe
Lincolnshire AGM on 20/03/16.
AF reported that an AGM has been set for a new group, that there is interest in the Tunbridge Wells area
and that several fundraisers are in the pipeline.
OR requested feedback on number of delegates to AGC and any special dietary requirements.
BH reported that Abergele MAG are the only active group in North Wales with an AGM on 26/02/16. SL will
provide a short statement to ask the group for a mandate backing BH as regional rep.
SL reported that links are being developed with the local HOG and that there will be a meeting in London
with a view to setting up a new group. She also noted that concerns have been raised regarding the
potential replacement of Pentonville prison in the context of Fred Hill.
Chair and Vice-Chair
I remain busy and in regular contact with the employees and contractors. I’ve delegated FaceBook to Dave
Hammond although I regularly pop on and add flyers for events. I have released a few documents I hope
you will find useful. I’ve also submitted my manifesto for Chair for a further 12 months. If members in your
area would like me to attend an event or a meeting do let me know, it remains important to me to meet MAG
members and be accessible to them. I have been working on a number of things with the office and team
L&L that are helping us work together as a team and try to streamline some of what we do.
27/11 – 06/12 NEC
10/12 BSH Article
11/12 Board meeting
12/12 NC meeting
13/12 South East Region AGM
10/01 BSH Article
16/01 Scotland AGM
19/01 TfL meeting in London with Leon
20/01 MAG Central for staff meeting & appraisals (NEL Director)
Chair article for The ROAD
29 – 31/01 Bury St Edmunds Mad Cow Rally
Attended South East Region AGM with Selina, which saw Ann France voted in
In contact with Selina for any support, and at times acting as her chauffeur.
Updating National FB page.
iii. Finance Officer
iv. National Clubs Officer
Not a whole lot to report here - again, it’s been mostly quiet on the Clubs front.
The task of the next section is to see if we can work something out with the guys who like to play in
muddy fields - I’ve now got the contact details of someone in the Trail Riders Fel owship who may be
able to help.
The other thing to do is to update the clubs pack, and then start selling some more memberships.
National Reps’ Liaison Officer
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer’s Report
Model Rules for Regions given the “Potting Shed” treatment, following input from NC with formatting and
revisions. Awaits approval at February NC meeting.
Code of Conduct now drafted (awaiting approval) that can ultimately be rolled out nationally for Reps and
Officers at all levels.
Work on building a procedure manual for hosting AGC, by developing thorough notes provided by Sarah
from Taunton MAG, is close to draft stage.
Continue to support Regional Reps with welcomes and provision of information.
Continue to support Chair/Vice Chair with admin tasks.
Work on Version 2 of Reps’ Handbook, which will include more information and guidance in respect to
matters I.T. related.
Develop an induction process for new officers. Hopefully this will be moving up the priorities list going
forward in 2016.
MAG National Reps’ Liaison Officer
vi. Executive Officer
Nice Employer Ltd and The Motorcycle Action Group Limited Report
Julie Sperling Executive Officer.
Offices – We are all settled in and the new offices are working well. We have started to receive utilities
bills all are lower than anticipated the electricity was less than £150 for the first quarter and LPG was less
than £90 so costs are within the estimated £1k per annum. I also managed to secure a reduction in the
business rates for small businesses from £1,632 for the half year to £218. We are still having issues with
broadband width but I am talking to the suppliers on a fortnightly basis (at a minimum). This has been the
only downside of the move, but once the local exchange has been upgraded this will improve (no date for
completion of works has been given) therefore ongoing.
IT – Things are progressing well with the website and the back offices behind the workings. It was
originally thought that the membership database in the offices could be used but has been found that it
cannot be linked so a new database is being developed which has taken some time over the last week, I
am now allowing a small proportion of my time on a daily basis so not to cause any back log in my work.
This will be demonstrated at NC and Tony Cox will give a better explanation. Some of the work that Andy
Meredith has done with MAG Wiki, document sharing in particular is working well and can be done as
and when required by the office then a link sent by email instead of large documents. The email server
based at Central has been able to cope with this even with the extremely low bandwidth.
MAG (UK) – No further updates.
MAG Media – advert went out in February’s Network and another wil be in the next magazine. I have
received one applicant thus far. *** I have approached regular advertisers to become Corporate
members, no results to report as yet.
MA Foundation – Ian Williamson and Rory are now Trustees/Directors of and Fin Colson will be added as
soon as I’ve received a missing piece of information. I had a discussion with Ian about the current
restricted funds and the Boards proposals for use. He is following up the location markers for Scotland as
discussed at the last Board meeting and I am following the lead given to me by Paul Turner regarding
secure bike parking – possible attendance to a BPA meeting in London during March. Ian will give a
more informative update at the NC meeting.
Staff – The first staff/contractor meeting took place mid-January, which has focused the team and their
understanding of each other’s roles. Discussions took place with regards the future and how best to
manage and overcome any barriers. In theory we completed a SWOT analysis of the team and identified
area’s that we can work smarter. Lembit then had his appraisal; better mechanisms were put in place to
keep the focus on NC priorities and how to handle barriers. *** Carol’s appraisal is to be completed any
day. Both were informed of pay increase and were gratefully received.
Sub-Contractors contracts – Both IM and LM attended the staff meeting and contributed well. LM had his
appraisal; he was advised in terms of his contract that it had been extended to full time for the next year
(as discussed at the previous Board meeting) and an increase in his fee, he was delighted. LM has
continued with his work both in London and the regions. IM did not have an appraisal but did discuss a
few areas of The ROAD he was offered performance related bonus paid bi-monthly in line with each
edition of The ROAD. The criteria is still to be finalised but will be based on the edition due out in
February (some minor errors will be allowed but no major errors).
My role – As advised previously I have started to look at policies and the largest of all were employee
related, so I have gone through the Employee Handbook and updated where necessary and forwarded to
the Directors of NEL for consideration. The next area I will be looking at will be Health & Safety and will
report accordingly and advise policies for approval. Regarding the implementation of a new database I
have now spoken with Leslie Johns and discussed our actual needs and doing this methodically as I go
through each part of the databases, testing for user friendliness and that it meets all of our needs. So I
keep impact to my work schedule limited (from my previous experiences) I am allocating an hour to an
hour and a half per day, so I don’t delay others and I can keep my load organized. We have discussed a
timeframe and expecting to show a live model at AGC. This is not necessarily the go live date but we
needed a deadline to work to. The new database reduces duplication of work so will give Carol some
extra time to fulfill, so I can then delegate some of my work to her. My thanks to the Board for their
recognition of all staff (myself included) all increases were very well received.
Bank Accounts – MAG Media is on hold until more Directors are found. Paul Turner’s resignation has
some implications and is being acted upon – no further forward as yet.
*** Denotes redacted text
AC requested that simplified accounts be made available in hard-copy format for AGC delegates. SL will
discuss with NFL and Julie Sperling.
Report to NC and Board on key areas of work by Policy and Campaigns Unit
LM Revised Version: 1st February 2016
Leon & Lembit
This summarises L&L’s activities since December 2015 for your consideration.
The Management has introduced a new review process, which in L&L’s view has considerably
improved the unified focus of the team. A Group Summit at MAG’s Holly Farm Business Park
headquarters brought all of the key staff together for a review of the past and a look ahead to the future.
This means that all the employees are working to a collective agenda, and we all know our roles. L&L
found the new approach very useful and will seek to ensure that we maintain that focus as we move
You’l also notice that L&L’s priority areas have led to a large degree of joint working. This is reflecting a
clear understanding of the benefits of L&L’s different specialisms and the use of these for a collective
outcome which makes good sense and delivers the results we need. In fact, L&L don’t spend much
time physically in the same meetings, but we do use that time very effectively – and that’s partly a
function of our developing experience in the job.
Note also that Lembit has undergone a major operation on his jaw for medical reasons relating to a
near fatal accident in 1998. He is expected to be back in full action shortly after the NC meeting in Feb
Lembit’s key priorities have been:
a) LondON 2 wheels campaign engagement
b) Northern Ireland issues
c) Government consultation response by MAG
d) May 2016 elections debates
e) Licence testing regime
f) Justice campaign
g) MAG video
h) (Guy Martin membership)
Lembit’s operational considerations:
1. Requests for visits to be made to Julie.
2. The aim is to visit clubs, groups and regional events on a three year cycle.
3. Lembit works on campaigns as directed by NC, Board, Chair and Julie.
4. Time management ensures efficient use of MAG’s people including Lembit.
5. Lembit supports the work of RRs to deliver results.
6. Lembit generates best practice guidelines.
The magazine was way ahead in the earlier part of the production schedule due to my near alcohol-free
Christmas new year period during which a lot was done. As always one ends up with last minute stuff
with some very late submissions. I suppose I could start re - running the deadlines in the mag again. I
dropped them as no-one takes the slightest notice of them. I can print them as bold as you like white
out of black or black on white in their own box out - whatever, ding ding goes the phone – hel o when’s
No matter, it all comes together and this time almost every page was proofed. I nearly used a shot of
Norton Commando with a lovely model girl for the cover and then thought - some PC wallah will
probably complain and I ran a neutral Roland Brown riding shot on the new Triumph Street Twin. They
are always top quality pro shots so that much is good. Probably a better cover shot than my darker
indoor shot. I shall endeavour to get some more MAG action type covers in to future issues however.
I popped down to London to see Lembit as someone has broken his jaw. Naturally I took a box of
toffees with me for which he was extremely grateful and so he should be as they are Thorntons and
jolly nice. Excellent news today about Foggy and Charley Boorman joining. We’ve tried to join Foggy in
the past and he has been depressingly disinterested. Possibly his spel on I’m a celebrity has
humanised him somewhat. I have had less joy with Henry Cole who has not replied to my emails since
a friendly meeting with him at the NEC which is irritating. I sense I might not be getting through the
filters of agents though I thought he’d given me a personal email. I shall persist.
I note the cry for more material to help those trying to recruit and needing tangible reasons to put in
front of people. There is a page in this issue which addresses this. It features Leon and Lembit and
makes the simple point that what you are buying in supporting MAG with £27 is a voice in Westminster.
I think it may be worth creating a big vinyl backdrop with this page on it to make this point simply. When
I look at the MAG stand I still find it lacking a simple focus like this. Giant images minimal text simple
message is what we need. A4 sized sheets bearing complex arguments or information with little
pictures just don’t cut it in the context of a show in which competition for attention is led by the
manufacturers with huge banners bright lights and entire motorcycles revolving on stages accompanied
by dream girls.
I went to a staff meeting at central in January at which I was told I was a hopeless incompetent who
doesn’t deserve a job making the tea. I could hardly disagree with this and to make matters worse Jack
agreed. Hey ho – must do better.
In line with my commitment to forward planning I have made future issue ‘shel s’ for the rest of the year
so if there is anything you feel should go in at some time between now and December let me know and
I can plan it right now. eg an event that warrants covering. I can make all these available via Dropbox if
people want to look ahead.
I’m afraid I haven’t progressed the ‘what has MAG ever done for us’ double page pul out as I have had
hardly any feedback on this, actual y the NC list seems very quiet lately. I think Dave’s idea for this was
that we should feature all the wins region by region eg Forth Rd Bridge proposal to ban learner riders
defeated, bus lane access now granted in Leeds etc. No point doing this with just a couple of regions
I’m sorry about the late arrival of this inadequate report but I have been distracted since finishing issue
63 by a TV crew filming me and my house for a Ch V programme about people modifying their homes
for B&B or holiday lets. I can’t real y see myself doing B&B but I do plan to rent the house to tourists
when I go away for trips and they were happy to talk about what I do for a living as well so unless the
editors cut it and say oh no we’re not having any of that politics nonsense creeping into this, MAG
should get a plug. Daytime TV out in the spring. I wore a Farmyard sweat shirt throughout so they can
hardly cut that out. Actual y it’s yours Selina.
Time to walk hound; I shall probably think of what I wanted to say in an hour or two.
I forgot to mention the Fred Hill run in my report blimey
I got cold - cold? Not arrf did I mention how cold I got?
Stone me it was chilly.
On the way home the wind began to blow a gale and then rain hit me sideways and I got incredibly cold
- and then - I got colder.
So do I want a medal?
OF course I do.
Cos I got v cold. I rode about 90 miles in all and it was jolly cold and my electric vest couldn't be
pressed into service as I forgot the cable extension so I got cold.
This riding motorcycles in February is so eccentric. I see the updated version of my model of Harley is
£20k. My Suzuki car cost £350 and I sit in it and I turn the heater on and I don't get wet cos it's got a
roof and things and I don't get cold. It's as warm and dry as a Bentley.
I'm trying to make up my mind whether to come on the bike or in the car tomorrow. I don't know, your
views are invited.
IM asked whether, when he advises regarding what bike is being reviewed in an issue of The Road, anyone
takes these issues to any relevant dealers.
SL is working with Julie regarding provision of a pack to assist selling to advertisers and corporate
members. SL noted that MAG Media requires directors with the appropriate skill set.
SL asked about a page for affiliated clubs in each issue of The Road.
TP noted that it may be worth following up on the information about Pentonville prison.
11. Any other business:
Model rules for regions – Ratification
Covered under item 6 above.
Code of Conduct – Ratification
Covered under item 6 above.
Awards for forthcoming AGC
Noted separately from these Minutes.
Presentation on new membership database
Leslie Johns gave a presentation regarding a new membership database for MAG. The current one is
not fit for purpose and a new, web-based system is required. It will include the facility for members to
maintain their own records (i.e. they will be able to change address details, etc).
Leslie demonstrated the different areas of the database and encouraged feedback regarding what is
required; e.g. differences between access for full members and affiliate members.
This was a very positive presentation with good feedback and Leslie and Julie Sperling will continue to
progress this item.
IW reported that the Foundation now has two Trustees (IW and Rory Wilson) with a third (Fin Coulson)
to follow. The donated funds from a member for developing an App will (at last!) be utilised.
There are funds for developing road safety in Scotland, which will be used appropriately.
Location marker stickers for use on road signs in remote areas has been rolled out in Wales. They
include a grid reference acceptable to the emergency and breakdown services and have been used on
seven occasions already.
IW then reported that to ensure that the Foundation is accountable, a report will be submitted to each
NC meeting, including financial updates.
Leslie Johns will work up a website and Facebook page.
Signatories for the Foundation will be the same as for TMAGL and all Trustees will be fully paid-up
Work has begun on inclusion of motorcycling in educational materials providing information on various
IW has a meeting with DfT next month.
Ideas are welcome and should be sent to IW.
SL flagged up that the use of the Foundation’s charity number is appropriate in some fund-raising
situations and IW should be notified accordingly. She also noted that the Foundation has now been
dropped from the Board of Directors agenda.
Forthcoming EU referendum: does MAG need a stance?
SL noted that LÖ had been asked by Steve Baker MP for input regarding this issue and that the
feedback from this will steer the answer to the question. SL has asked NFL to ask Morten (FEMA) for
an article on how motorcycling may be affected and will chase LÖ.
Date of next meeting: Saturday 9th April 2016 at AGC.
- NC attendance record 2016 1 February
- 201602 NC Minutes FINAL